Feeling hatred?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rosejmj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, one must have reasons for hatred, or one is being unreasonable - in the extreme: irrational. Hatred toward God is biting the hand which feeds you - a divine hand!

It sounds as though you may have plain old anger issues, and God is the largest, most powerful, most omnipresent target. Should your target not be one who means you evil?

Sin or no, you do not want to test God’s patience.
Just because you are angry at God does not
mean you have hatred towards Him.
 
Jesus never said it would," always be Kittens and sunshine." (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
Of course I’m paraphrasing. According to most mystics , eventually, we are supposed to discover that joy is different from happiness.
Joy is forever once we discover the source. Happiness is temporary.
 
Yes
you need to ask Him humbly your needs to soften your heart towards your situation and blaming him…
I was the same way.

His yolk is easy and His burden is light

Praying for you

God Bless
 
I’m not sure of there is a distinction between the two and if there is, is it universal?
 
Last edited:
Isn’t that compartmentalizing? The two are not identical, but are most often so intertwined that they are inseparable. IOW, is there a valid reason to be angry with your Creator? A reason that does not begin and end within the self?

And there lies the genesis of the trouble.

From the site Catholic Moral Theology:
According to the Catechism, the passions themselves have a particular function in the human person, a function that in itself is “neither good nor evil” (§1767) but rather a natural part of the human psyche (§1764). Feelings (the Catechism uses feelings, passions, and emotions interchangeably) perform a dual “bridge” function in people. They first carry sense experiences to the human intellect (§1764) and then, from the intellect, dispose and contribute to human actions (§1762). Finally, like the whole of the human person, the passions are teleological. They fundamentally move people to love by directing senses, intellect and will toward what is thought good and away from what is thought evil (§1765).
 
There are some people who might anger you
that you might choose to hate at the same time. You can be mad at someone and not hate them.
 
I think you are right. It is normal to get angry sometimes, but often you don’t stop loving the person you are angry at. I remember being told when I was younger that if you hate something you want them to go to hell. That seems to sum it up well, at least for a child
 
recognizing sinful anger apparently the article is from a chapter in the book called Overcoming Sinful Anger - which I bought some time ago and i found it to be good.

On this examination of conscience by Fr Altier it lists being “angry at God” as a venial sin. “Blasphemy (words of hatred, reproach or defiance toward God; speaking ill of God)” is listed as a mortal sin. (keeping in mind if you didn’t know then it would be venial as mortal sin requires full knowledge it is a mortal sin) Catholic Parents Online - this examination has a copyright - it is the first link listed.
 
So you would consider telling God you hate him a grave sin even if technically you don’t really mean it?
 
For some reason it is hard for me not to take my anger out on God when things go badly.
It is quite natural to feel frustrated with God when things do not turn out as we expected. However, if you think more about this, getting angry with God gets us nowhere. It would be like having a bad day and taking it all out with our best friend. You could do that, but I would feel guilty later on honestly.

Once you meditate in what Christ had to suffer to redeem us, we quickly realize how insignificant are our problems.
 
Well Christ chose to suffer. We do not. We all have to suffer, so e more than others, but there is no escape.
 
True, however who is the real one to blame in regard to suffering / evil ? Sin and the Devil. It is because of them that suffering and evil exist to begin with.

Thankfully however we have faith that with Christ resurrection there will be a day when there will be no more suffering or evil. That is indeed great news
 
So you would consider telling God you hate him a grave sin even if technically you don’t really mean it?
Objectively yes, it is grave matter.

Subjectively (as in you) - that would depend if you knew it was a grave sin before you told Him you hated Him. If you did know, then it would be in my opinion a grave sin, though there may be circumstances that make it less than mortal, or there may not, but that is something to ask the priest in confession, I would think.

As others have pointed out, there is a difference between just being angry with someone and actually hating that person. Only you know whether you actually hated God (at that time of telling him). Or whether it was something you just in anger. For example, if you had an argument with your boy/girlfriend and said “I hate you!” - out of anger and hurt and didn’t mean it because you do still love them but said it perhaps to hurt back, I would think there would be less malice compared to saying “I hate you!” and actually mean you hate that person, can’t stand them, don’t want to have anything more to do with them, can’t stand the sight of them -perhaps this’ makes you sick’ or ‘makes your blood boil’, couldn’t stand to be in the same room as them etc etc.

I too have been frustrated and angry with God over the way various things are in my life, and confessed just that.

If it was me I would take it to confession and tell the priest what I’d said to God and all the circumstances etc. - but that’s just me.
 
Are you seriously considering leaving the Church? Does your situation make you doubt God or the Church?

I have already kind of left the Church or at least stopped practicing, but I am considering going to Confession… Not sure if will happen though
 
Last edited:
It makes me doubt why God would put me in the situation I am in to have it not work out. It makes me very mad and I do not want to worship Him
 
I have seriously considered it, but I
hope I will “recover”. I haven’t left yet,
but I did speak to God and I did feel better after my telling Him why I am
angry. I felt like I was being honest and felt like how I would feel if your best friend hurt you and you needed
to clear the air so to speak.
 
Maybe I’ll try that. I’ll admit I havent really talked to God or been open to him for a while. Hopefully it would make me feel a little better and maybe answer some of my questions.
 
Last edited:
Define “hate” - it has almost innumeavble meanings.

Back on point: the OP directs anger at God.

Is that proper?

If not, then what to do about it?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top