Fellow Catholics: Do you care whether Protestants Convert?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KindredSoul
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I reacted to went WAY beyond simply being an imperfect union among Christians.
It’s not an imperfect union among Christians. They are in an imperfect union with Jesus’s Church. I’m still not sure what you are so upset about. Many protestants do not believe in the communion of the saints let alone praying to our Blessed mother. I know of protestants who will not ask Catholics for pray because of this. They certainly do not believe in indulgences because they do not believe in purgatory.
 
For starters, making judgments only God should make, and the fact that these notions are entirely out of line with the documents of Vatican II, which assert clearly that we do not make such judgments about protestants or any other faith.
This is confusing because by saying protestants need to be evangelized to the One True Church we are in fact making a judgement, no? Or are you saying that we should not evangelize and leave it up solely to the Holy Spirit?
 
This is confusing because by saying protestants need to be evangelized to the One True Church we are in fact making a judgement, no? Or are you saying that we should not evangelize and leave it up solely to the Holy Spirit?
I clearly stated elsewhere that I would love for protestants to come into communion with the Church. That said, I don’t think they’re condemned f they don’t.

What I took issue with was the idea posted here that salvation is possible for only a “few” protestants if they don’t (because they don’t have “indulgences”).

I find that such pronouncement reeks of arrogance and misguided elitism…which I reckon is the last thing that needs to be projected if one is interested at all in evangelizing (protestants or anyone else for that matter).

“Hey there! Your chances of going to heaven are very slim…boost them up…come over to our side and get yourself some indulgences. Only we have them!”

TIs that a message any protestant you know would respond positively to?
 
I had actually intended to include an option (although it’s sadly too late now, I think, to change the poll) of “It’s a high priority because even if they are Christian, devoutly practiced Catholicism is the safest path of all for their salvation.” That, too, would have been among my own answers.

By the way, I’m the first–and only–Catholic in MY family, so as with yourself this topic is near and dear to me, not merely heady and intellectual. Glad to know I’m not the only one!

Blessings in Christ,
KindredSoul
Keep digging, 🙂
 
This is one of those times when you have to discern those things you can change & those yiu cannot change, & pray for the wisdom to know the difference. It might help to remember that the protestants actively left the church after thought & consideration; it was not a step taken lightly. It would be silly to think that protestants would rejoin the catholic church without agreeing with all Her teachings. Maybe some catholics disagree with some teachings, but I think that for a protestant to rejoin they would want to be in agreement with all Her teachings in their own minds & wills. This is not a state able to be reached lightly. There are some challenging teachings of the church, thst you hear some catholics complaining about; however I do think the protestant would want to be in agreement with even the most challenging teachings. And there you have the great delay.
 
I care deeply!

Protestant converts often make the best Catholics!

And nothing moves me more than a good conversion story. :signofcross:
 
In my opinion we should not be proselytizers. However we should be the seed planter or the little nudge. After that it is between them and God.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top