First Cousins Get Married In Maryland

• Thread starter Thread starter Binney
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Catholic2003:
The marriage is valid according to 1983 canon law, so I don’t see what the problem is. (Unless one or both of them is Catholic and therefore required to marry in the Church.)
Marry like that often enough, and in a few generations you’ll have some interesting-looking children.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

40.png
Catholic2003:
The marriage is valid according to 1983 canon law, so I don’t see what the problem is. (Unless one or both of them is Catholic and therefore required to marry in the Church.)
Even if they are Catholic their marriage would be valid if they obtain a dispensation. 2nd cousins under current canon law are able to marry each other without any impediment. Hopefully in the future the Church will remove the impediment for 1st cousins also.

40.png
tuopaolo:
Even if they are Catholic their marriage would be valid if they obtain a dispensation. 2nd cousins under current canon law are able to marry each other without any impediment. Hopefully in the future the Church will remove the impediment for 1st cousins also.
I recall reading a book by an old Texas cow-puncher who became a veterinarian in the early '40s. As a vet, he was in a vital occupation, and also could get all the gas coupons he needed.

During an outbreak of equine encephalitis someone in government noticed he was using a lot of gas, and came out to check up on him.

His comment about the inspector comes to mind, “He had what I would call your typical government head. His eyes were so close together you could have poked them both out with a bobbypin and not spread the legs.”

Apparently Maryland wants to breed more goverment men.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

I just found out that Mary and Joseph were first cousins!
newadvent.org/cathen/07204b.htm
Mary and Joseph were therefore first cousins, and both of the house of David.

This tells me that it is OK for first cousins to marry each other. Of course Mary and Joseph’s marriage was special since Mary was a perpetual virgin, but it was still a real, true marriage.

Here’s an interesting chat with a canon lawyer from the website Binney linked to above:

cousincouples.com/audio/canonlaw.html

Hey, we moved to MD to get away from the loonies in CA, after living there for 40 years! But over in Montgomery county the county government, the school board, etc will do any looney thing. Especially if restricts normal personal freedom(as in the no smoking item) or exagerates sexual immorality. Last fall, right after the new school board was elected, they voted in a new sex ed program that involved showing a video about how to put a condom on a cucumber! What an uproar there was. If they could have had the election over again the results would have been different.
Please pray for the Maryland assembly and senate. There is a filibuster going on right now over embryonic stem cell research.

gasp!! where have I lead myself now?..this digging around does nothing but blow my mind…when am I going to stop? How come religious ed. instructors aren’t teaching this to the boys and girls on Sunday?
I somehow feel so tainted! I think I am going to need a group therapy session for the first time.
40.png
tuopaolo:
I just found out that Mary and Joseph were first cousins!
newadvent.org/cathen/07204b.htm
Mary and Joseph were therefore first cousins, and both of the house of David.

This tells me that it is OK for first cousins to marry each other. Of course Mary and Joseph’s marriage was special since Mary was a perpetual virgin, but it was still a real, true marriage.

Here’s an interesting chat with a canon lawyer from the website Binney linked to above:

cousincouples.com/audio/canonlaw.html

What’s the big deal? Are you all so young you don’t remember Jerry Lee Lewis marrying his first cousin?

I mean, Hush puppies and Moon Pie, chile, it’s no big deal!

40.png
Binney:
http://www.keltawebconcepts.com.au/clipart/sciencefiction/Space Alien 151.gif

My daughter just reminded me of an exchange student from portugal whose parents were brother and sister. I had forgotten that one. She considered him funny looking before he shared his lineage.
Okay, I swore I wasn’t going to do this, but you tempted me too far.

There was an old man from Dundee
Who consorted with an ape in a tree
Their child it was horrid
All butt and no forehead
Three and a purple goatee.

Did anyone else find this part of the article particularly disturbing?

** “About half of the states allow first cousins to marry, according to stateline.org, a research site on state laws.”**

**?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:bigyikes: **

Okay. I’m going to blow all your minds away because… I think it’s perfectly okay for 1st cousins to marry and historicly speaking it was even normal. :rolleyes:

Personally, I can’t stand most of my family enough to live in the same state with them - much less the same house, but the only time there is a genetic reason not to is when it is an exclusive practice. This is NOT the same as a father/child marriage - which is always incest.😦

I can hear the flame balls starting to sizzle… 👋

When God handed the law to Moses, and dictated whom could marry whom, He allowed first cousins to marry.

40.png
Timidity:
I don’t think so. It’s a purely hormonal reaction.

You can, however, control what you do with it.
I have to disagree, you certainly can control who you fall in love with.

Rob's Wife:
Okay. I’m going to blow all your minds away because… I think it’s perfectly okay for 1st cousins to marry and historicly speaking it was even normal. :rolleyes:

Personally, I can’t stand most of my family enough to live in the same state with them - much less the same house, but the only time there is a genetic reason not to is when it is an exclusive practice. This is NOT the same as a father/child marriage - which is always incest.😦

I can hear the flame balls starting to sizzle… 👋
I’ve read the same thing and generally agree…may not be for me, but who am I to say you can’t marry your cousin… :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back