Five Guys - Major Restaurant Chains that Closed in 2020 (Or Are Closing Lots of Locations)

• Thread starter Thread starter gam197
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pray for all the people who lost their jobs because of this !

My Lord you call me your friend,
Please have mercy on them and
offer them a better job to live on !

Also please help all the investors, shareholders
to recover from their crisis!
Help them to stand up again,
and do better in the near future!

I know how anxious people can be if
they lost their financial support.

Thank you holy Mary please intercede for us …
Thank you. I do pray and I pray that this nation will not be healed without more destruction…

Some of these restaurants have been having problems for years.

Pizza Hut (in my area) a few years ago closed all of their sit down restaurants. They only have carry out or delivery. I thought that was a shame, I actually liked their salad bar.

Fuddruckers used to have 2 restaurants in my area. A few years ago they closed their locations where I live.

I think Burger King has had one foot in the grave for years. They keep on trying to reinvent their brand.

Last edited:
A lot of stores in general are shutting down. I wouldn’t expect restaurants to be different.

There are a number of restaurants that were dependent on the regular flow of people to corporate areas or sports venues. I expect them to suffer a good bit too.

Some of these stores have been having problems for years.

Pizza Hut (in my area) a few years ago closed all of their sit down restaurants. They only have carry out or delivery. I thought that was a shame, I actually liked their salad bar.

Fuddruckers used to have 2 restaurants in my area. A few years ago they closed their locations where I live.

I think Burger King has had one foot in the grave for years. They keep on trying to reinvent their brand.
Friendly’s in my area struggled but this lock down destroyed a great deal of middle class wealth. We think of them as chains but many franchises are owned by individuals.

Last edited:
We think of them as chains but many franchises are owned by individuals
My nephew used to own a Quiznos. He no longer does. He got out of it several years ago.
Being a franchisee has its own challenges.
One of which was the royalties that had to be paid back to the corporation

Further, with the shutdowns there aren’t other positions within the food service industry that are hiring due to the same restrictions.
I can only speak for the town I live in here in Louisville Kentucky but a food delivery driver is a position that is fairly easy to get. It’s a good gig if you deliver in a good area, meaning where customers tip well.

One sub shop chain I used to drive for has a store that doesn’t do much businesses at night needs a night driver 5-10 pm and called me last week. They offered me 14.00/Hr, 7 % of total delivery sales minus tax, paid cash after each shift, and of course I’d leave with all tips I got.

Average 120 bucks per shift counting time clock earnings.

I declined though. I retired in the spring and I didn’t retire to work lol.

But whoever gets the job will love it. In the biz, there will always be day drivers that will ask you to come in early so they can leave early. Which means even more money.

I can only speak for the town I live in here in Louisville Kentucky but a food delivery driver is a position that is fairly easy to get. It’s a good gig if you deliver in a good area, meaning where customers tip well.
I should have said “there aren’t as many other positions …” With other businesses slimming down, there are less opportunities for a lateral transfer.

Not quite… People down here have been making it a point to forego the chain restaurants and order from the locals. Not only are small local restaurants doing OK, but they are also gaining a customer base that will last past the pandemic!

Wendy’s is better than McDonald’s but I do not see this as a great loss. I stopped eating at McDonald’s when I saw all those posts with McDonald’s food not degrading after ten years. What, exactly, are they putting in that food so that it doesn’t degrade after ten years sitting out in the open? One good thing about this pandemic (I mostly work from home) is that I have been cooking almost all of my meals from scratch. I lost ten pounds the first week I was home because I did not eat out. Perhaps the closure of some of the unhealthier fast food places is a positive!

Last edited:
Remember that most chain restaurants are a local business that bought into a franchise. They are small businesses.

Restaurants only have a 2-6% profit margin. It’s nearly impossible for them to survive 6+ months of rent and other expenses with little to no income.

A neighbor of mine, 3rd generation in his family to run his family’s restaurant committed suicide this year after losing his business due to Covid shut down. He left a wife and some children behind.

Shut downs have killed more people I know than Covid. His blood is on my governors hands I hope he is held responsible by my states legislature.

Wendy’s is better than McDonald’s but I do not see this as a great loss. I stopped eating at McDonald’s when I saw all those posts with McDonald’s food not degrading after ten years. What, exactly, are they putting in that food so that it doesn’t degrade after ten years sitting out in the open? One good thing about this pandemic (I mostly work from home) is that I have been cooking almost all of my meals from scratch. I lost ten pounds the first week I was home because I did not eat out. Perhaps the closure of some of the unhealthier fast food places is a positive!
The fast-food places come in very handy in a pinch, especially with children,

I would agree that they are not the healthiest but there are a way to get around that, with salad and chicken, just split it up. These are also often privately owned.

It depends on the area. Lots of local restaurants have been closed or limited and seem to do better in the summer when they could seat outdoors.

Delis seem to be fine. When you pay for fish, indoor or outdoor dining adds to the meal. Applebee’s, Ruby Tuesday, and Buffalo Wild Wings did a pretty good business prior to this.

So many prayers and help needed.

Last edited:
Thank you, JC. Your post is one that shouldn’t have been required, yet in this thread, sadly, it was.

Your post is an example of the basic human decency and charity to which we should all aspire.

Again, thank you.

Thank you so much! I join you in this prayer! ❤️

Last edited:
My wife and I stopped in to buy a dog harness at the local PetValu, only to see that it is closing down. I asked if they were closing or just moving and the manager said that all of the PetValu stores (I think she said over 300) are closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back