Flaws with Theistic Evolution

  • Thread starter Thread starter salvereginadude
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This refutes Darwin’s theory. Evolution “guided by divine providence” is not what Darwin proposed.
**I may be very wrong, but I don’t think Darwin addressed the supernatural at all. He himself was a Christian, and as I understand it made no statement regarding God at all in his work. One cannot attribute to him what he did not say. **
How would evolution have been different if it wasn’t guided by divine providence?
I wouldn’t begin to know. Do you know?
Darwinism proposes that no divine guidance was needed in the evolutionary process.
Again, I don’t think he made any such statement but I’m sure the more scientifically inclined will speak to it.
 
All of it is guided by divine providence. Evolution and contingency are merely tools of God in this process.

Good to hear you say it. Science can only tell us about our physical bodies and how they came to be. It cannot and will never be, able to fully define what it is to be human.

We have a spirit and an immortal soul which are not subject to scientific inquiry.
I will always speak against those who now, today, take this science and use it to promote atheism. And that’s the problem.
And your concept of scientific inquiry is too cut and dried. Science has attempted to find the soul, and science has investigated spirits and spirit phenomena.

God bless,
Ed
 
I will always speak against who now, today, take this science and use it to promote atheism.
Then don’t help them by insisting that science can prove or disprove God.
And your concept of scientific inquiry is too cut and dried.
That’s how it is. You might like it, or hate it, but the fact remains.
Science has attempted to find the soul, and science has investigated spirits and spirit phenomena.
And atheists have seized on these “failures” as evidence there is no God. In actuality, they were doomed from the start. God is beyond the reach of man’s science.
 
It would be productive to stop pointing out how calculus, cookbooks, gravity, electricity or other aspects of science do not involve a deity. None of these things talk about human origins, only evolution does.
Irrelevant. Science is science.
The Church accepts that some sort of evolution occurred but it must be linked to the actions of divine providence.
Then why don’t you, Ed?
The common seal can walk on its flippers. Is it on its way to developing hands or legs? I don’t think so.
It IS walking on it’s hands and legs, Ed. You really should put some time in researching claims before you make them.
To my fellow Catholics - please understand that those who promote evolution promote naturalism, which excludes God, and denies to divine providence any truly causal role in the development of life in the universe.
Did you not, in this same post, admit that the Church acknowledges evolution? Is the Church promoting athiesm, Ed?

Peace

Tim
 
Barbarian -

Edwest wrote:
Science has attempted to find the soul, and science has investigated spirits and spirit phenomena.

Barbarian responded:
And atheists have seized on these “failures” as evidence there is no God. In actuality, they were doomed from the start. God is beyond the reach of man’s science.

Ricmat says:
God being infinite, in his completeness is beyond the reach of not only science, but also theology and religion. But his creations are not.

Souls, spirits, and spirit phenomena are creations of God, just like atoms, photons, quarks, and the processes which God used to create the universe (and man).

Barbarian - are you saying that we should not investigate such things because failures support atheistic views that God does not exist?
 
Perhaps you should write to Mr. Vogler and explain to him that no beetle species existing today are as old as he (and the article I posted) claims.
You really don’t understand what Barbarian is asking, do you?

Peace

Tim
 
For Catholics, science is not an absolute standard. It always needs to be compared to divine revelation. And the Vatican Astronomer, what does he do?

Everyone is ignoring the linkage that is always made by the Church. Always. Part science and divine providence. Science books only contain part of the answer.

And everyone is ignoring the miracles that are investigated by the Church. Today.

God bless,
Ed
 
For Catholics, science is not an absolute standard.
Of course it is not. Who here said that it was, Ed?
It always needs to be compared to divine revelation.
Yep.
Everyone is ignoring the linkage that is always made by the Church. Always. Part science and divine providence. Science books only contain part of the answer.
And yet you ignore the science part. Why is that, Ed?
And everyone is ignoring the miracles that are investigated by the Church. Today.
That is a false statement, Ed. Either support it or retract it.

Peace

Tim
 
I admit to an intimately linked combination of some sort of evolution and divine providence. I do not believe in the standard textbook version of evolution by itself. That is incomplete and is being used to promote atheism.

God bless,
Ed
 
I never said that it does. Even Ed will admit that the Church accepts evolution as long as it is understood that evolution is guided by God.

Peace

Tim
I wasn’t actually accusing you of saying it.

But there are some on other threads (and this one) who seemed to be saying that - and that Cardinal Schonborn (who wrote the article I posted the link for) had been “reigned in” by the Pope. I haven’t seen that document (if it exists), and would like to read it.
 
Barbarian - are you saying that we should not investigate such things because failures support atheistic views that God does not exist?
I’m saying that we should not try to get science to verify God, because such efforts always fail, and those who try, end up looking like fools, and thereby damage our chances of reaching many who might otherwise accept Him.

A long time ago, St. Augustine cautioned his fellow Christians to aviod such foolish assertion, for that very reason.
 
I may be very wrong, but I don’t think Darwin addressed the supernatural at all. He himself was a Christian, and as I understand it made no statement regarding God at all in his work. One cannot attribute to him what he did not say.
I can think of one case. In the last paragraph of a late edition of “The Origin of Species”, Darwin mentions his belief that God produced the first living thing.
 
Perhaps you should write to Mr. Vogler and explain to him that no beetle species existing today are as old as he (and the article I posted) claims.
I’m sorry, but I didn’t see any claims by Dr. Vogler that any beetle species was that old.

It wouldn’t be impossible, but so improbable as to be effectively so. I can’t think of an animal like that.
 
I’m saying that we should not try to get science to verify God, because such efforts always fail, and those who try, end up looking like fools, and thereby damage our chances of reaching many who might otherwise accept Him.

A long time ago, St. Augustine cautioned his fellow Christians to aviod such foolish assertion, for that very reason.
Proof beyond a reasonable doubt works in our courts. It actually works in science for virtually every conclusion science comes to.

If science brings people to their own personal “God is there - beyond a reasonable doubt”, as music, art, etc. also do, I don’t see that as bad. There will always be some who are so lost as to be unreachable, who look at all who believe in God (for ANY reason) as fools. But Jesus told us to expect this.
 
I’m saying that we should not try to get science to verify God, because such efforts always fail, and those who try, end up looking like fools, and thereby damage our chances of reaching many who might otherwise accept Him.

A long time ago, St. Augustine cautioned his fellow Christians to aviod such foolish assertion, for that very reason.
What foolish assertion? Who is trying to get science to verify God? My point is and always has been, the textbooks are incomplete, but around here, that is not the way they are presented. Evolution is declared a fact. While God is… just sort of tacked on as an afterthought.

For Catholics, God comes first, everything else is seconday. Around here, science is made the most important thing. And I ask again, who is trying to verify God through science? And how many are being led astray by the naturalistic philosophy that flows out of textbook evoltionary teaching?

God bless,
Ed
 
What foolish assertion? Who is trying to get science to verify God? My point is and always has been, the textbooks are incomplete, but around here, that is not the way they are presented. Evolution is declared a fact. While God is… just sort of tacked on as an afterthought.
Hey Ed, if you got God tacked on as an afterthought…that’s a whole lot better than I’ve seen around here.
 
Science changes drastically at times.
Anyone who sticks with evolution is only stunting science. Scientific findings are not meant to be dogma, but, at most, very possible unless there s good reason to question them.
Go to cashill.com and buy The “Triumph of Design” DVD, where he says how Darwin’s self-proclaimed self-destruct button for his “theory” has already been pushed by true modern science.

BTW It’s Catholic Answers that crunches my paragraphs, not me.
Anything worth saying is worth repeating. Reason says there is a conflict of interest due to the ideology of its creators. Catholics have Faith and reason together. Reason says if evolution cannot be proved, it does not make someone smart and the other, irrational, not to believe it. Reason also says that the leftists are mimicking the imagery of Christianity because it wants to be a religion as well–one that would like to steamroll over Christianity just as Islam would. Those Christians who want to be “reasonable”, but who are really afraid of thinking for themselves except when it regard solid, uncomfortable Christian teaching (typical Victorian, modernistic thinking) are rolling out the red carpet for both of them.

BTW2 the Alex Jones’s “Endgame”, whether any part is wrong, is still impartial and thus, more damaging than anything a traditionalist priest or fundamentalist could say in these days.
 
BTW 3 Morris does not represent all Christianity. Morris probably did not try to have the blacks killed off. Margaret Sanger did and those who like her business are mostly liberals (who think they are smart and cannot realize they have been duped by high-ranking liberals; whereas at least conservative talk-show hosts express wonder about some things the Bush administration does). There are crooked conservatives who, like liberals, have contributed to eugenics and a one world government that requires less people in the world to oppose them. The difference is, most conservatives do not vote for baby killers and those who play Risk with world populations and decide who is worth living or dying–not on purpose, anyway. I mean, liberals are supposed to be the smart freethinkers, right? Ha! They wish!

Humble ourselves, liberal Christians. We’ve all been duped by heads of state. We should respect them due to their office, but we don’t do well to buy everything that is not formally declared as truth. The only things definitely true have been, are, and will be, formally declared by the Church as such. The Pope saying there probably is no limbo or there could be evolution are still just opinions.
I agree with Edwest, BTW
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top