For Female GIs, Combat Is A Fact

  • Thread starter Thread starter gnjsdad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
gilliam:
The Pope is in favor of the US staying in Iraq until the Iraqis can protect their own democracy. I don’t know how you can be against that.
When did he say that?

No, you can’t be against that given that after George W got us into that war we have no choice in the aftermath.
 
Lisa N:
You EXPECT the POPE to encourage a war under any circumstances? How many Popes cheered WWII? Do most of us think it was worthwhile anyway?

Everything John Paull II said was in keeping with Catholic teachings. The Pope is hardly going to rah rah a military action regardless of the circumstances. He didn’t suggest military action in the Sudan although people are dying of starvation much less supporting deposing a brutal tyrant.

Lisa N
No, but I certainly expect those who support the war admit that they disagree with the pope. I’ve never said that we’re legally or morally bound to agree with the pope on everything. The idea of “non-negotiable” prudential judgments is one I reject. But if people are going to defend the war, honesty demands they admit that they are disagreeing with the pope. This is particularly so when the war-defenders attempt to use the Church as a bludgeon against those who disagree with them politically.

State your opinion. Be honest about it, is all I’m saying.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top