For us men and for our salvation

• Thread starter Thread starter LovingIt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
LovingIt!:
Our priest recently changed the words we use in the creed from “for us men and for our salvation” to “for us and for our salvation”, i’m pretty sure this is okay (he says it is) but I have a niggling feeling like somehow some of the meaning has been taken away - am I just exhibiting natural fear of change or are my fears well founded?
Inclusive language, the word woman as far as I know means taken from man :confused: so why the conflict ?

40.png
otm:
He is trying to not offend the feminists. A feminist such as John Paul II speaks of would not be offended. But offense seems to be the rule of the day for too many feminists, particularly the radical ones…
Yea, I"m one of the Pope’s new feminists, and I have NO problem with the term. What I DO have a problem with is priests (and liberal sisters) arbitrarily changing the wording in Mass, such as “For the praise and glory of GOD’s name, for our good and the good of all GOD’s Church” (emphasis theirs, not mine)

jp2fan

LovingIt!:
Could you give me some references to Church documents on this matter, our priest (who is on the whole a good fellow, else I would have more to complain about than the word ‘men’ in the creed) seemed quite sure it was okay for him to do this. Could the rules be different here in the UK?
Surely. The text–Latin, because the Novus Ordo Missae is in Latin, not English–is “qui propter nos homines…” where “homines” means “individual people,” as it were. The Latin would use “viri” if it meant “male humans” and “populi” if it meant “people.” The English grammatical and lexical equivalent of “homines” is “men (generic).” Period. Since the language is Latin, one’s local vernacular is of only secondary importance.

In our church it seems the deacon and the priest (now retired) were trying to change this for years. But the congregation just keep saying “men” without them. 😃 I have to surpress a smile every sunday during the creed!

I’m bringing back an old thread… but this just irritates me. There’s a church about a five minute walk from my house, which I attend when I don’t have time for the nearly hour-long bus ride to my regular parish. Every time a masculine pronoun should be used, it’s either left out or changed to “God” or “Lord” or something similar.

It’s done in the prayers and in the hymns, even in the readings!! I find myself distracted during Mass as I try to catch someone say the word “he” just once

Have any of you had the same experience?

40.png
Lida:
I’m bringing back an old thread… but this just irritates me. There’s a church about a five minute walk from my house, which I attend when I don’t have time for the nearly hour-long bus ride to my regular parish. Every time a masculine pronoun should be used, it’s either left out or changed to “God” or “Lord” or something similar.

It’s done in the prayers and in the hymns, even in the readings!! I find myself distracted during Mass as I try to catch someone say the word “he” just once

Have any of you had the same experience?
Yes, but thankfully not in my home parish. Doesn’t there seem to be something fundameantally wrong with a priest who allows a prayer to be altered just to avoid offending a few people, while offending a great marjority to be offended by the alteration? :confused:

Sorry for that run-on sentence. 🙂

LovingIt!:
Could you give me some references to Church documents on this matter, our priest (who is on the whole a good fellow, else I would have more to complain about than the word ‘men’ in the creed) seemed quite sure it was okay for him to do this. Could the rules be different here in the UK?
Catechism of the Catholic Church # 1125. It’s universal and Magesterial, and it says he can’t do it. Heck, it even applies in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back