Forgive me, brothers and sisters

• Thread starter Thread starter Woodstock
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Woodstock

Please forgive me, a sinner, for any offense I have caused you.

I forgive you.

Forgive me, my brother, for all my sins and offenses against you.

Which leads to an interesting question. Did/ will anyone else here participate in a forgiveness circle, on this the Sunday of Cheesefare? We had ours immediately after Divine Liturgy this morning (we borrow space from a Roman parish and their schedule makes our having Sunday Vespers impossible).

Sadly, this poor sinner begs forgiveness from bed this weekend…

Nasty flu. It’s deathly quiet since the girls are at church.

I, an unworthy sinner, ask for forgiveness from all whom I may have offended, :bowdown2: and in return resolve, with God’s grace, to offer forgiveness to all who have offended me :hug3:

God forgives…

Brothers and sisters, please forgive this sinner of the offenses I have cause you voluntarily and involuntarily…

and I in turn offer my forgiveness to you…

Brothers and sisters,

Being aware of my own faults and sinfulness, I ask your forgiveness for all my failings - especially against charity - in this forum.

I forgive and forget all who may have succumbed to the same.

Let’s start over.

Thanks you Lord Jesus Christ for by your grace and mercy our sins are forgiven.

I forgive you.

Forgive me, my brothers and sisters, for all my sins and offenses against you.

We had it at 4PM today so everyone could get home for the ‘superbowl’. I thought the most awesome superbowl was at Church. When the circle forms around the church as every ask and gives forgiveness, I become overwelmed sometimes. It is so humbling and beautiful. God is so merciful!

as this morning was my 1st attendance to a divine liturgy from beginning to end, it was the first I learned of “forgiveness Sunday”, and I was too shy to join in 😊 but did get to meet the priest after…that being said, I can at least ask forgiveness of all those I have offended, and I am sure they are many, as well as forgive all those that have offended me, through this thread…God bless you all.

I, in my part, ask forgiveness from those I have wronged in some way in these forums somewhere in the past. :bowdown:

“Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered; Blessed is the man to whom the Lord shall not impute sin.” (Rom. 4:7-8)

Please forgive me, a sinner, for any offense I have caused you.
Okay- I’m a poor Latin who would like to know more about"Forgiveness Sunday and what it entails.My fathers family were Georgian & Ukrainian Catholics.we were brought up Latin but would really like to know more and get in touch with My grandparents spirituality. THANKS. Forgive me all my brothers ans sisters whom I have harmed in any form. may God Forgive all that I place before His Holy face. amen;)

On Cheesefare Sunday (the last Sunday before Lent begins on Clean Monday), the priest turns to the deacon and says, "Forgive me, my brother NAME, for all my sins and offences against you. The deacon responds, “You are forgiven. Please forgive me all my sins and offences against you” The deacon then stands on the priest’s left. Then one, by one, individual members of the congregation using the same formula ask the priest for forgiveness and the priest grants it and asks for forgiveness for his own offences against that person. Then, the same formula with the deacon. Congregants then their places to the left of the deacon, forming a long line, through which each member goes. By the end of the service, each person has asked forgiveness of every other person and has granted forgiveness to every other person. It’s a very emotional and beautiful service, and a great preparation to, or follow up after, one’s individual Confession. It does not replace the Sacrament of Penance.

God forgives!

We also had a forgiveness service at church. Father gave a great explanation of what to do and why we do it, what is expected of each of us during the Fast, what the fasting expectations are, and warned us if we refused to forgive another it was just as prideful as those who refused to ask for forgiveness. He prostrated three times and asked us to forgive him for any sin he had committed, intentional or not, each time he prostrated. He explained how we can sin or offend someone unintentionally and the need to ask forgiveness even if we don’t think we need to. He discussed the need for conversion of heart and how important this first week of the fast is and he encouraged everyone to take advantage of the Lenten services and of Confession.

Having set things right with each other, we can now enter the Great Fast focused on our relationships with God.

“Take heed to yourselves. If thy brother sin against thee, reprove him: and if he do penance, forgive him. And if he sin against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day be converted unto thee, saying, I repent; forgive him.”
Luke 17:3-4

“For if you will forgive men their offences, your heavenly Father will forgive you also your offences.
But if you will not forgive men, neither will your Father forgive you your offences.
And when you fast, be not as the hypocrites, sad. For they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.
But thou, when thou fastest anoint thy head, and wash thy face;
That thou appear not to men to fast, but to thy Father who is in secret: and thy Father who seeth in secret, will repay thee.
Lay not up to yourselves treasures on earth: where the rust, and moth consume, and where thieves break through and steal.
But lay up to yourselves treasures in heaven: where neither the rust nor moth doth consume, and where thieves do not break through, nor steal.
For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.”
Matthew 6:14-21

On Cheesefare Sunday (the last Sunday before Lent begins on Clean Monday), the priest turns to the deacon and says, "Forgive me, my brother NAME, for all my sins and offences against you. The deacon responds, “You are forgiven. Please forgive me all my sins and offences against you” The deacon then stands on the priest’s left. Then one, by one, individual members of the congregation using the same formula ask the priest for forgiveness and the priest grants it and asks for forgiveness for his own offences against that person. Then, the same formula with the deacon. Congregants then their places to the left of the deacon, forming a long line, through which each member goes. By the end of the service, each person has asked forgiveness of every other person and has granted forgiveness to every other person. It’s a very emotional and beautiful service, and a great preparation to, or follow up after, one’s individual Confession. It does not replace the Sacrament of Penance.
Thank you for the explanation. I’ve never heard of this before, but it sounds beautiful. What an awesome thing to do! 🙂 Is this something that is done solely in Eastern Catholic parishes, Orthodox parishes, or both? Even though I’m new at this, I would like to participate if I may. I’ve been allowing numerous health and personal problems to negatively affect my mood and how I interact with people, so I would like to say the following:

Please forgive me to all those on these forums whom I have offended either involuntarily or voluntarily. Also, I forgive all who have offended me, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

It is done in both Orthodox and Greek Catholic parishes. This is an example of Ukrainian Greek Catholic usage in English:

RITE OF FORGIVENESS

*The priest (or other clergy if present) kneels facing the faithful and says: *
Bless me, brothers and sisters, and forgive me a sinner all the sins which I have committed this day, and every day of my life, in thought, word and deed.

All: May God forgive you, reverend Father(s)!

The faithful kneel and say together:
All: Bless us, reverend Father(s), and forgives us sinners all the sins we have committed this day and every day of our lives in thought, word, and deed.

*Clergy: *May God forgive you and have mercy on you!

Now, all approach and venerate the icon, and then exchange forgiveness with everyone, saying: Forgive me! *Response: * God forgives! Forgive me and pray for me!
FDRLB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back