Forgive me, brothers and sisters

• Thread starter Thread starter Woodstock
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is done in both Orthodox and Greek Catholic parishes. This is an example of Ukrainian Greek Catholic usage in English:

RITE OF FORGIVENESS

*The priest (or other clergy if present) kneels facing the faithful and says: *
Bless me, brothers and sisters, and forgive me a sinner all the sins which I have committed this day, and every day of my life, in thought, word and deed.

All: May God forgive you, reverend Father(s)!

The faithful kneel and say together:
All: Bless us, reverend Father(s), and forgives us sinners all the sins we have committed this day and every day of our lives in thought, word, and deed.

*Clergy: *May God forgive you and have mercy on you!

Now, all approach and venerate the icon, and then exchange forgiveness with everyone, saying: Forgive me! *Response: * God forgives! Forgive me and pray for me!
FDRLB
Very interesting, and beautiful. Thank you.

My signature says it all as God’s grace, covers much as I think of this past year. Hoping to change.

“Lord Jesus, I surrender this season of Lent to you. fill me with your prescence, and help me to embrace your calling with joy. Thank you for your faithful love, and for the grace you give me even when I can’t see it!”.

The Foregiveness Sunday Vespers are indeed awesome, and
something that the Western Church should contemplate. It would
be (as far as I know) and entirely new thing for them and would
have to be done at a Tuesday Vespers service,since for them
Lent starts on a Wednesday, while for us of the Byzantine Churches it starts at sundown on the previous Sunday. In my
parish, at the end of Vespers, all ask forgiveness of all, giving
the triple holy kiss. It would be well if families were to adopt this
as a home ritual (whatever the brand of their Catholicism), for
whom do we more often offend and by whom are we more offended
than by our nearest and dearest?

Let us ask forgiveness of our dead, as well.The Lord will see
to it that they know, for they live in Him.

Edmac

Forgive me, brothers and sisters, I am a poor sinner!

Thought I’d include this hymn from the Kontakion for everybody:

Master, Teacher of wisdom,
Bestower of virtue,
You teach the thoughtless and protect the poor:
Strengthen and enlighten my heart.
Word of the Father,
Let me not restrain my mouth from crying to you:
Have mercy on me, a transgressor,
O merciful Lord!

I love this Eastern concept, and I especially love the focus on the Expulsion from the Garden of Eden and the gravity or original sin, something many Latins could learn from.

Also, I’d like to say this good ol’ Latin prayer for everybody:

Confíteor Deo omnipoténti, beátæ Maríæ semper Vírgini, beáto Michaéli Archángelo, beáto Ioánni Baptístæ, sanctis Apóstolis Petro et Paulo, ómnibus Sanctis, et vobis, fratres: quia peccávi nimis cogitatióne, verbo et ópere: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa. Ideo precor beátam Maríam semper Vírginem, beátum Michaélem Archángelum, beátum Ioánnem Baptístam, sanctos Apóstolos Petrum et Paulum, omnes Sanctos, et vos, fratres, oráre pro me ad Dóminum Deum nostrum.

Happy Lent to all our Eastern Brothers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back