Forgiveness for non-Catholics possible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nkelly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nkelly

Guest
Dear all,

In light of John 20:23, can someone please tell me if mortal sins can be forgiven directly by God without the need for sacramental confession and absolution? Is it enough for a dying person to repent of his/her sins and be forgiven?

John 20:23 Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

Looking forward to hearing some responses please!

God bless,
Noel.
 
Dear all,

In light of John 20:23, can someone please tell me if mortal sins can be forgiven directly by God without the need for sacramental confession and absolution? Is it enough for a dying person to repent of his/her sins and be forgiven?

John 20:23 Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

Looking forward to hearing some responses please!

God bless,
Noel.
yes, it is possible. God is not bound by His sacraments
 
Thanks quasimodo.

Is this your personal opinion or a Church teaching?
Is it in the catechism? Sorry for being pedantic.

God bless,
Noel.
 
There is such a thing as ‘perfect contrition’ that a soul can make directly to God when the sacrament of confession is not available but a Catholic must then go to confession at the next opportunity.

One would not wish to count on having the time to make such an act and if one is willing to commit a mortal sin and live in it, would the grace be there for a perfect contrition? It could possibly happen but I would not count on it! Most souls die as they have lived and if they choose to normally live in the state of mortal sin and do not repent, the chances are that they will die in that unrepentant state.

Ave Maria!
 
Greetings Ave Maria!

I should have clarified in my post that I was referring to non-Catholics
(I’ve only mentioned this in the subject line).

Thinking about it, I would have to limit the scope of my question to
Christians and people who don’t know about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

God bless,
Noel.
 
I’m a non Catholic Christian and I believe one can go directly to God and ask forgiveness of sins. 1 John 1:9 There’s no need for any priest other than Jesus. There’s one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus 1 Tim 2:5 The dying thief on the cross repented and was forgiven.
 
I’m a non Catholic Christian and I believe one can go directly to God and ask forgiveness of sins. 1 John 1:9 There’s no need for any priest other than Jesus. There’s one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus 1 Tim 2:5 The dying thief on the cross repented and was forgiven.
1 Tim 2:5 reads as follows: “For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus…” “You see,” we Catholics are told, “there is only one mediator between God and men, Jesus Christ. Therefore, praying to the saints goes against the Bible because you are making them mediators between God and man, you are diminishing Jesus’ role as the sole mediator!”

Is that an appropriate interpretation of that passage? No, it’s not and let’s see why not.

In the O.T. we see that Moses, Abraham, and Job interceded on behalf of others… that’s mediating between God and man. We know that it is okay to ask others here on earth to pray and intercede for us… that’s mediating between God and man. So, I think, once again, we have a situation where a passage of the Bible is being misinterpreted and misunderstood.

There is only one mediator between God and man, the man Jesus Christ, but as members of the Body of Christ, He allows us to share in His mediation.

Also, Scripture tells us that we have only one foundation, Jesus Christ (1 Cor 3:11); but, Scripture tells us that there is more than one foundation (Eph 2:19-20). Scripture tells us that we have only Lord, Jesus Christ (Eph 4:4-5); but, Scripture tells us there is more than one lord (Rev 19:16). Scripture tells us that we have only one Judge, Jesus Christ (James 4:12); but, Scripture tells us there is more than one judge (1 Cor 6:2).

Contradictions in Scripture? No! Not when these passages are all properly understood in context. Jesus is the only foundation; Jesus is the only Lord; and Jesus is the only Judge. But, we are members of Jesus’ Body. Therefore, we are able, according to the graces given by Christ, to share in Jesus’ role as foundation, as lord, and as judge, and in other aspects of Christ, as well. Another example, as a father I share in God’s role as Father, by His grace. And, so also, we, and the saints in Heaven, and the angels in Heaven, can share in Christ’s role as Mediator.
 
N -

I suggest you read John Paul II’s Dominus Jesus for a complete definition of who can be saved according to Catholic Church teaching. It is available on the Vatican Web site, and is quite comprehensive.

As to the specific question “Can mortal sin be forgiven directly by God,” I believe the answer is a clear “Yes.” Persons who commit suicide, for example, are not assumed by the Church to be condemned because we cannot know the final state of their mind or soul at the time of death.

Chuck
 
Thanks Chuck, I’ll have a look at Dominus Jesus.

What you’re saying seems to imply that the sacrament of confession isn’t necessary for salvation. If this is the case, what is the purpose of this sacrament?

Is it the case that confession guarantees absolution while direct confession to God is less certain?

God bless,
Noel.
 
Hi,

Im a non-catholic Christian and I do believe we no longer need priests. Jesus Christ took care of that for us. When He died the veil ripped in half giving all of us a direct line to God. I believe that is where the priesthood ended and the new priesthood began. What I mean is that we are all considered priests and go directly to God. I know Im not explaining this well, but maybe another non-catholic will come along and do a better job:o
 
Hi,

Im a non-catholic Christian and I do believe we no longer need priests. Jesus Christ took care of that for us. When He died the veil ripped in half giving all of us a direct line to God. I believe that is where the priesthood ended and the new priesthood began. What I mean is that we are all considered priests and go directly to God. I know Im not explaining this well, but maybe another non-catholic will come along and do a better job:o
I don’t think I could say it any better than you.
 
I don’t think I could say it any better than you.
Hi,
WOW, REALLY!! I have no confidence in myself when it comes to getting my point across.:o Thank you for the compliment. I have read your posts and agree with you BTW.👍 😃
 
I’m a non Catholic Christian and I believe one can go directly to God and ask forgiveness of sins. 1 John 1:9 There’s no need for any priest other than Jesus. There’s one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus 1 Tim 2:5 The dying thief on the cross repented and was forgiven.
By the Great High Priest, who also left authority to His Apostles to forgive sins (see the OP’s original citation of scripture).

I think Protestants who are genuinely contrite are forgiven by God. But God alone knows IF and HOW. It’s a grey area that He MAY forgive, it’s a certainty that in the priestly office, He DOES forgive (again, the above citation). Why risk it?
 
I think Protestants who are genuinely contrite are forgiven by God.
But God alone knows IF and HOW. It’s a grey area that He MAY forgive, it’s a certainty that in the priestly office, He DOES forgive (again, the above citation). Why risk it?
Hi,
By this statement you are implying that you dont believe God when He says He forgives sins. You are then implying that you trust a man more then God:eek:

Mark 2
2:1
A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home.
2:2
So many gathered that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them.
2:3
Some men came, bringing to him a paralytic, carried by four of them.
2:4
Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus and, after digging through it, lowered the mat the paralyzed man was lying on.
**2:5
When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.” **
2:6
Now some teachers of the law were sitting there, thinking to themselves,
2:7
“Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?”
2:8
Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, “Why are you thinking these things?
2:9
Which is easier: to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk’?
2:10
But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins…” He said to the paralytic,
2:11
“I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.”
Acts 2:38Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

Acts 10:43All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

Acts 13:38-3913:38
"Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you.
13:39
Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses.

1 John 1:8-10

1 John 1 1:8
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1:10
If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

I dont know about you but I dont see anywhere that man has anything to do with granting forgiveness from God.👍
 
I trust in God’s mercy. As I’ve said more than once already today, could it be anyone’s fault today that they’re confused about the real Church? Seems to me the fault would lay on the people who caused the division and resulting confusion in the first place, but of course no one really knows the secret judgements of God. The consequences of those actions have been devastating, but God will use it to bring a greater good in the end. Hopefully a joyous reunion in Heaven. But in the meantime, while we are still in the thick of spiritual warfare down here on earth, I think it’s tragic that Protestants are deprived of the life giving sacraments and fullness of Truth available to mankind.😦
 
I think Protestants who are genuinely contrite are forgiven by God.
Hi,
By this statement you are implying that you dont believe God when He says He forgives sins. You are then implying that you trust a man more then God:eek:

Mark 2
2:1
A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home.
2:2
So many gathered that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them.
2:3
Some men came, bringing to him a paralytic, carried by four of them.
2:4
Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus and, after digging through it, lowered the mat the paralyzed man was lying on.
**2:5
When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.” **
2:6
Now some teachers of the law were sitting there, thinking to themselves,
2:7
“Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?”
2:8
Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, “Why are you thinking these things?
2:9
Which is easier: to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk’?
2:10
But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins…” He said to the paralytic,
2:11
“I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.”
Acts 2:38Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

Acts 10:43All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

Acts 13:38-3913:38
"Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you.
13:39
Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses.

1 John 1:8-10

1 John 1 1:8
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1:10
If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

I dont know about you but I dont see anywhere that man has anything to do with granting forgiveness from God.👍

When I read the verses you posted I see that Jesus forgave sins while He walked the earth 🙂

However, here’s what He said after He ascended into Heaven. All Christians used to understand this…

John Chapter 20:

21
(Jesus) said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
22
15 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit.
23
Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

Since then our forgiveness from Christ has come from those to whom He gave the power to forgive sins. (Priests)
<>
McKevin
 
There are things called in Catholic - repentance, humility
I love to be a Catholic. It, through the work of the Holy Spirit, teaches us so much of being humility, being sorry for your sins.
 
There are things called in Catholic - repentance, humility
I love to be a Catholic. It, through the work of the Holy Spirit, teaches us so much of being humility, being sorry for your sins.
Hi,
Same here and Im not catholic:thumbsup: 😃
 
Hi,
By this statement you are implying that you dont believe God when He says He forgives sins. You are then implying that you trust a man more then God:eek:

Mark 2
2:1
A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home.
2:2
So many gathered that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them.
2:3
Some men came, bringing to him a paralytic, carried by four of them.
2:4
Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus and, after digging through it, lowered the mat the paralyzed man was lying on.
**2:5
When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.” **
2:6
Now some teachers of the law were sitting there, thinking to themselves,
2:7
“Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?”
2:8
Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, “Why are you thinking these things?
2:9
Which is easier: to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk’?
2:10
But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins…” He said to the paralytic,
2:11
“I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.”
Acts 2:38Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

Acts 10:43All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

Acts 13:38-3913:38
"Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you.
13:39
Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses.

1 John 1:8-10

1 John 1 1:8
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1:10
If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

I dont know about you but I dont see anywhere that man has anything to do with granting forgiveness from God.👍
When I read the verses you posted I see that Jesus forgave sins while He walked the earth 🙂

However, here’s what He said after He ascended into Heaven. All Christians used to understand this…

John Chapter 20:

21
(Jesus) said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
22
15 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit.
23
Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

Since then our forgiveness from Christ has come from those to whom He gave the power to forgive sins. (Priests)
<>
McKevin
Hi ,
I believe that that ability died with the death of the last Apostle. IMHO the Apostle made disciples out of many people and so on and so on right down till today. God is clear in Scripture about this. In Acts and 1 John that I gave you was after Jesus had ascended.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top