C
CrimsonThorn
Guest
Just as the title of the thread reads, are they in the same category as Oujia boards, consulting the dead, yoga, occult practices etc.?
But the accuracy of the cookie or the intent in which you read the fortune was not the point as to whether or not it is sinful.I’ve never met someone who actually thought fortune cookies were anything more than something funny at the end of a meal. I guess if you actually planned for the fortune or the ‘lucky numbers’ to be the real deal, then that could be sinful, but I’d say it isn’t usually a sin if it’s just for fun.
My random anecdote: I once got a fortune cookie that said something to the effect of, “In three months you’ll have a good day.” I promptly forgot the date, but a friend of mine remembered it just for kicks. Three months to the day was not only a bad day, but in fact the day of my grandmother’s wake. Obviously I wasn’t laughing about it at the time, but it was (morbidly) humorous how completely WRONG the cookie was.
See the ask an apologist answer at forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=125842&highlight=ouijaBut the accuracy of the cookie or the intent in which you read the fortune was not the point as to whether or not it is sinful.
Some people use the oujia board or meditate through yoga on a “just for fun” basis too, yet I’ve read that the use of these objects and practices are sinful nonetheless, regardless of your intent or mentality.
That’s what is confusing about it in my mind. Naturally I’d assume the fortune cookie is a silly piece of paper too, but having read the aforementioned, it left me with a question.
Also: catholic.com/quickquestions/are-ouija-boards-harmlessUnless it is used with a deliberate intention to divine the future, a Magic 8 Ball is a toy that might be likened to a child’s folded-paper fortune-teller. It does not appear that the Magic 8 Ball should be put in the same league as the Ouija board, which is a well-known divination tool that has been misleadingly marketed to children as a board game.
It’s true that many people view the Ouija board as harmless. They often claim, “Oh, I don’t believe in it,” or something to this effect. However, a disbelief in something does not necessarily mean that something isn’t real. The Ouija board has an objective reality that exists apart from a person’s perception of it. In other words, it’s real even if you don’t believe in it. And we know this because God himself tells us so.
The Lord repeatedly condemns any and all occultic practices, including divination. While many Bible passages could be cited, the following one is typical of his view of occultic practices: “Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord” (Dt 18:10–12, NIV).
So there are two potential problems here:On the experiential side of the issue, we have the testimony of the Church’s exorcists. Their experience shows that Ouija boards are far from harmless. Some investigating supernatural phenomena from a Catholic perspective have gone so far as to say that 90 percent of their very worst cases involving demonic activity have been linked to the use of the Ouija board.
Agreed. Fortune cookies are fun and silly. A cookie and a piece of paper. That’s all it is. That’s all it ever was. ENJOY!I saw a program on the food channel, or the cooking channel that showed how fortune cookies are made.
The come from an assembly line and the fortunes come off giant presses and are inserted before the cookies are baked, they mean nothing.
And fortune cookies don’t even exist in China, along with chow mein and chop suey, all those things were invented by the American Chinese food industry.
We probably would’nt even touch real Chinese food as made in China![]()
Actually the reason Ive read why yoga is wrong is because it involves taking your mind to places for information, to the gates of death, etc. Obviously all of this done in am attempt to gain knowledge, wihout God.There is nothing wrong with Eastern practices. There is nothing at all wrong with Yoga. Fortune Cookies are not even “Asian,” they are American invented by Americans. The idea that Yoga is “sinful” is deeply rooted in racism towards Asians and Asian culture, in my personal opinion. However, to say Yoga is “sinful” or “evil” is not racist in and of itself, it’s just rooted in racism and intolerance for different and unfamilar cultures.
Peace and blessings.
Point taken, however where the object is made hardly seems relevant. For the record, Parker Brothers make the Ouija board and is also sold at Toys R Us, yet we see that it is still wrong, as stated by the Church.I saw a program on the food channel, or the cooking channel that showed how fortune cookies are made.
The come from an assembly line and the fortunes come off giant presses and are inserted before the cookies are baked, they mean nothing.
And fortune cookies don’t even exist in China, along with chow mein and chop suey, all those things were invented by the American Chinese food industry.
We probably would’nt even touch real Chinese food as made in China![]()
I respect your opinions, but I respectfully disagree with your comments. Don’t you think Christianity has influnces from religions other than Judiasm? I think so.Actually the reason Ive read why yoga is wrong is because it involves taking your mind to places for information, to the gates of death, etc. Obviously all of this done in am attempt to gain knowledge, wihout God.
Also, the positional parts of yoga I have read are salutations to the gods.
Everything is a sin on these forums. Yoga a sin? Since when is it a sin to stretch and breath? Because that is basically what yoga is. This is really insanity how every little thing is considered sinful. We might as well cut all these threads short with the statement that it is a sin to smile. You are all downers and everything comes down to a moral debate. I wouldn’t be surprised if people were debating whether they sinned at breakfast by eating an extra piece of bacon.Just as the title of the thread reads, are they in the same category as Oujia boards, consulting the dead, yoga, occult practices etc.?
Some secular sources aren’t the most reliable. Catholic sources should be your main sources for information (excl. news, politics etc.), as some secular sources may give you false information. You may also get an incorrect Christian point of view from them. And no, I disagree. Criticism of yoga is not rooted in racism, but in the prayers that focus on the body and not on God.I respect your opinions, but I respectfully disagree with your comments. Don’t you think Christianity has influnces from religions other than Judiasm? I think so.
So what? Do you think God worries about silly things like this? God is love and loves each and everyone of us. Try and learn about Yoga from a secular non-religious source and not a ultra-Conservative souce. Again, many of the things that were considered evil were said to be evil because of lack of knowledge of the culture. Relgious critisim of Yoga is deeply rooted in racism, and I stand by those claims.
Peace and bleasings.
¡a Dios sea toda la Gloria!
Secular sources are the best way to obtain information in a academic setting. Information from a Christian source would be a bias, since a Christian source would likely give you negative information. An Eastern Religion source would give you more positive information, which of course is also a bais.Some secular sources aren’t the most reliable. Catholic sources should be your main sources for information, as some secular sources may give you false information. You may also get an incorrect Christian point of view from them. And no, I disagree. Criticism of yoga is not rooted in racism, but in the prayers that focus on the body and not on God.
Yes, yes, that’s that I meant. I meant as in when doing research for an academic setting. If you need spirtual advice, obviously you will consult religious sources not secular sources.Obviously, secular sources are very reliable for media coverage (news, politics etc.), but tell me. If you were to get information on marriage advice, would you go to some book, or would you choose a more suitable source, like a book written by a priest, or an actual priest. That is what I mean by “information” (sorry for the not being specific!)
In regards to yoga, I am totally for the exercises and all the other physical benefits it gives, but the spiritual rituals associated with yoga… those can be a bit sketchy, and probably not very “catholic”.
Wow.Secular sources have no bias.