Fortune cookies: Are they sinful?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CrimsonThorn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I have only been reading through these forums for a few days I cannot help but actually laugh out loud at some of these topics. This one regarding fortune cookies is one of the best. Peace.
 
Greetings Everyone,
Let me tell you a secret: fortune cookies are not Chinese; they are American. The Chinese take their fortunes very seriously and would not relegate them to a cookie. Realizing this I did some looking up to see where fortune cookies originated. I was suprized to find they were invented here in the USA as a gimick for the customers to read after their meals. When you dine in an authentic Chinese restaurant you notice that you will not receive a fortune cookie with the bill. They are nothing more than pieces of paper with random sayings on them. I am finding that most of them nowadays have proverbial statements on them ( I eat a lot of Chinese food ). Like what a previous poster said I disregard the ones that have predictions on them.

First realize that there is no presumed superstition attached to fortune cookies. But if you bring the superstition to the cookie and think that they are predicting your future then you should rethink your attitude on fortune cookies.

Knowing what I know about them that they are nothing and only a gimick I have found that once in a while the Holy Spirit can speak to you through a fortune cookie as the Holy Spirit can use any form of messaging He wants. Many years ago my wife and I were taking a trip to the Philippines to visit her family there. It had been 20 years since I have flown in a airplane at the time. As the time of the trip was getting closer I was developing an increasing anxiety about the long flight over the Pacific. One day shortly before the trip I received a fortune cookie that said, “You are going to enjoy a relaxing trip overseas.” Upon reading it the anxiety left me and it was clear to me that the Holy Spirit used the cookie to let me know that as I had been praying about the trip. This was a predictive fortune cookie that was an exception to the rule. I had a wonderful time on the trip.

Since most of them have proverbial statements I enjoy reading them and keep the good ones in my wallet. So the answer to the question as to whether or not fortune cookies are sinful would depend upon your perspective. They are made in bakeries all over the US by many different vendors and they are nothing more than that.
Jim Lytle
 
I heard they were invented for the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate park, who knows the real origin.
 
Everything is a sin on these forums. Yoga a sin? Since when is it a sin to stretch and breath? Because that is basically what yoga is. This is really insanity how every little thing is considered sinful. We might as well cut all these threads short with the statement that it is a sin to smile. You are all downers and everything comes down to a moral debate. I wouldn’t be surprised if people were debating whether they sinned at breakfast by eating an extra piece of bacon.
Not everything is not a sin on these forums, just 99 per cent is!🍿:bounce::banghead:👋
 
Not everything is not a sin on these forums, just 99 per cent is!🍿:bounce::banghead:👋
Hahaha, you don’t know whether to laugh or bang your head? I feel the same way. It would probably be a sin to laugh, so I should probably bang my head. But that’s probably a sin too so what do I do?
 
Hahaha, you don’t know whether to laugh or bang your head? I feel the same way. It would probably be a sin to laugh, so I should probably bang my head. But that’s probably a sin too so what do I do?
:DNot probably it is a sin on this site! 🤷:bounce::whacky:
 
If anyone is seriously worried about the morality of fortune cookies, then he or she either has OCD or too much free time.
 
There is nothing wrong with Eastern practices. There is nothing at all wrong with Yoga. Fortune Cookies are not even “Asian,” they are American invented by Americans. The idea that Yoga is “sinful” is deeply rooted in racism towards Asians and Asian culture, in my personal opinion. However, to say Yoga is “sinful” or “evil” is not racist in and of itself, it’s just rooted in racism and intolerance for different and unfamilar cultures.

Peace and blessings.
Actually, Yoga as it is meant to be done is very much rooted in a Hindu religion and to worship Hindu deities. And I mean true Yoga, not just organized stretching.

I’d be hesitant to call another religion outright evil, but it certainly isn’t very Christian to practise true Yoga.

Personally, I view fortune cookies as similar to horoscopes and astrology. Harmless as long as you give them no credit, but it can be sinful if you begin to believe they have real predicting powers. And just like astrology/horoscopes, they’re pretty much nothing but randomized statements that don’t predict the future at all.

The actual cookies themselves are yummy though 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top