A
angharad256
Guest
I just registered to this forum tonight because I need help and I don’t know what to do. Four years ago, my brother committed suicide. He’d been depressed for at least ten years, and when his fiancee ended their relationship, he fell immediately into alcoholism and a bit more than a year later, took his own life. I was in Iraq at the time and when I came home on my first leave, found out he’d taken his own life the night before. My parents believe he would have wanted to undo it–it was a pill overdose, so they had time to talk to him at least before he died–but he was gone by the time I got home. My immediate family spent years expecting it. We didn’t know what to do, we knew it was bad, we knew where it could end up. I half expected to hear he was gone every time I got a late night phone call from my parents.
Tonight I found what looks like the beginning of a suicide note in one of his old books. I don’t know whether to show it to my parents, who are hiding their pain for my sake and my sister’s. Neither of them sleep well and I feel really bad for my mother, who desperately wants to talk about her grief, but me and my sister at least can’t. I don’t know how much my Dad talks. I don’t want to make it worse for her. I don’t know if the emotion in me is there–I’ve felt very little, to be honest–and I won’t talk about it because I’m afraid of feeling it, but even knowing my mother needs us, I just can’t make myself talk about it. Finding the note has kind of brought this up again. I’m thirty, my sister is in her late twenties, so we’re not kids holding back from mommy and daddy. I just want to do what’s best for them.
There’s no new information in the note; no reason given that we didn’t already know. He was in horrible pain and had been for a very long time. I know this is a hard thing for a stranger to ask, none of you know me and I don’t know you, but I just don’t know what to do. I’ll make my mother cry if I give her this.
Tonight I found what looks like the beginning of a suicide note in one of his old books. I don’t know whether to show it to my parents, who are hiding their pain for my sake and my sister’s. Neither of them sleep well and I feel really bad for my mother, who desperately wants to talk about her grief, but me and my sister at least can’t. I don’t know how much my Dad talks. I don’t want to make it worse for her. I don’t know if the emotion in me is there–I’ve felt very little, to be honest–and I won’t talk about it because I’m afraid of feeling it, but even knowing my mother needs us, I just can’t make myself talk about it. Finding the note has kind of brought this up again. I’m thirty, my sister is in her late twenties, so we’re not kids holding back from mommy and daddy. I just want to do what’s best for them.
There’s no new information in the note; no reason given that we didn’t already know. He was in horrible pain and had been for a very long time. I know this is a hard thing for a stranger to ask, none of you know me and I don’t know you, but I just don’t know what to do. I’ll make my mother cry if I give her this.