Fr. Ripperger and Ninjas

  • Thread starter Thread starter DrewM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DrewM

Guest
So I heard somebody tell me that a certain exorcist priest who is very orthodox, Fr. Ripperger, Said something to the effect that certain cartoon characters like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, is in moral due to the pagan beliefs of ninjas. Does anybody know about this particular YouTube video, I’m trying to find it? Also, is anybody particularly knowledgeable about exorcism, ninja spirituality, etc.? Any thoughts? I’m sure this is far more reaching than just the ninja turtles, so this should make an interesting topic.
Please discuss with clarity, politeness, and knowledgeability. Thanks.
 
I know very little of Fr Ripperger first hand. I know that he’s popular on CAF. From the second hand reports I’ve seen, there seems to be very little in media / entertainment that he’s ok with. He’s also apparently very anti-daycare, very anti-women in the workforce… overall, again second hand, he seems to view the world with a very 1945 lens.
 
Last edited:
He was probably refering to the references to Shintoism and Buddhism that show up in TMNT and a few other similar shows. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about too much but something to be aware of before letting young children watch.
 
Part of growing up is learning to tell the difference between what is real and what is make believe. The ninja turtles are make believe. They are not real.
There is a lot in literature that is based on pagan beliefs and mythology. As long as we remember that the ninja turtles are a work of fiction then everything should be ok.
 
Fr. Ripperger has been known to have some strange ideas and this is one of them IMHO.
I think you, and all of us, have better things to do with our time than worry about cartoon superhero turtles.
 
From the second hand reports I’ve seen, there seems to be very little in media / entertainment that he’s ok with. He’s also apparently very anti-daycare, very anti-women in the workforce
He basically finds things to take issue with in order to get attention. Just another “Internet celebrity priest”. They occasionally say good things but all of them will be going for the attention grab at some point, whether it’s by criticizing the Pope or the TMNT.
 
This just inst true. The talks online are conferences where people are recording him. He knows he is being recorded for he puts alot of talks on his website (http://sensustraditionis.org/) He backs up all his theology with Church teachings, alot of St.Thomas Aquinas, and the Patrimony of the Saints. I have rarely heard him criticize the Pope. We all should be anti married women in the work force if its not needed.
 
Last edited:
I didn’t say Fr Ripperger criticized the Pope. I was making a general comment about attention-seeking Internet priests.

Fr Ripperger is obviously more likely to see problems with pop culture and women working, while Fr Z is more likely to criticize the Pope. They are both cut from the same cloth. They like the attention.
We all should be anti married women in the work force if its not needed.
:roll_eyes: not worth even responding.
 
Last edited:
A good article

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-wor...ramentals/sacramentals-blessings/exorcism.cfm

I would also suggest the Pope’s new book “Rebuking The Devil” (available at the link above)

Ninja Turtles are cartoons, make believe. This claim reminds me of fundamentalist Protestant people who would not let their kids read “The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe” because it had a witch in it.

Unless Fr Ripperger is your pastor, you are not in any way subject to his opinions on cartoons.
 
He is a exorcist, so he knows that there are gateways for the demonic in these things. Other exorcists say the same thing, that Harry Potter isnt good entertainment.
 
They like the attention.
I admit all I know about these two comes from CAF, but every time I see their names it seems to be in connection with some point made in the most needlessly provocative way possible. Seems like they’re just trying to generate clicks.
 
Amen.

Scripture gives us the “ideal woman” in Proverbs 31. She is involved in business and real estate.

We have been given examples to emulate of working mothers who are Saints.

This is a backward view that has roots in one strain of fundamental Protestantism.
 
This has been the constant teaching of the Church. Married women should not neglect their duty at home. Fr.Rippergers point is that married women should not enter the workforce without grave matter. If families just want all sorts of gadgets, money, and material extras…at the expense of having the wife work outside the home, then it is a sin. Its also part of nature. Women have certain perfections that apply to taking care of children and maintaining productive family life. Also, if a women is unnecessarily hard at work every, she is not going to want to come home and tend to the children. It makes for a problematic home life. In some cases its necessary, so the Church has taught that women can enter the workforce, and it can be a good as well.

Pope Leo’s Encyclical Rerum Novarum:
Women, again, are not suited for certain occupations; a woman is by nature fitted for home-work, and it is that which is best adapted at once to preserve her modesty and to promote the good bringing up of children and the well-being of the family.
 
No, he has personal opinions. There is never a “thou shalt not read fantasy”.
 
And good Catholics can disagree as these are not doctrinal teachings.
 
Some things he says are not doctrine, some are. But I dont mind siding with an exorcist on these issues. Of course we shouldnt see the devil under every rock(just every other rock as Fr.Ripperger says), but we should take caution with some of these things.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top