Fr. Ripperger and Ninjas

  • Thread starter Thread starter DrewM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your ā€˜general comment’ sounds a lot like ā€˜your opinion’.
The entire forum is pretty much our opinions. If I’d said Fr James Martin was attention-seeking, you wouldn’'t mind a bit I’m sure, nor would you be concerned about me being possibly disrespectful towards him. Quod scripsi, scripsi.

(edited to add, I posted this before I notice that L.G.M. had posted essentially the exact same thing. )

By the way, why would you assume I don’t pray for priests? I even pray for CAF posters who argue with me…
 
Last edited:
COWABUNGA !

I’m going out of my way now to watch some TMNT movies from the originals to the current ones, with my nun chucks in one hand an a slice in the other, and then after that, I am going to have a nice leisurely read up on Shintoism and Buddhism and then I am going to drop some money on some TMNT Comics.
 
This is nonsense and it is not a Church teaching that women should stay at home.
Not women in general, but mothers (of small children in particular). The Church seems pretty consistent on this before and after Vatican II:

Here are some more modern sources:

Pius XI, Quadragesimo Anno
Mothers, concentrating on household duties, should work primarily in the home or in its immediate vicinity. It is an intolerable abuse, and to be abolished at all cost, for mothers on account of the father’s low wage to be forced to engage in gainful occupations outside the home to the neglect of their proper cares and duties, especially the training of children.
Vatican II, Gaudium et Spes:
The children, especially the younger among them, need the care of their mother at home. This domestic role of hers must be safely preserved, though the legitimate social progress of women should not be underrated on that account.
St. John Paul II, Laborem Exercens
It will redound to the credit of society to make it possible for a mother-without inhibiting her freedom, without psychological or practical discrimination, and without penalizing her as compared with other women-to devote herself to taking care of her children and educating them in accordance with their needs, which vary with age. Having to abandon these tasks in order to take up paid work outside the home is wrong from the point of view of the good of society and of the family when it contradicts or hinders these primary goals of the mission of a mother26.
Note, it is considered a societal abuse when a mother must take up work outside the home, not a fault in the mother who must do so. Obviously it’s a different story when it is done for selfish reasons to the neglect of her proper duties.
 
Last edited:
So…does anybody really know what the priest said about this? We’ve got 40+ posts but it seems not.

We started with
So I heard somebody tell me that a certain exorcist priest who is very orthodox, Fr. Ripperger, Said something to the effect that
Have we gone beyond it into at least some semblance of knowledge of the facts?

Dan
 
Last edited:
To me the answer lies somewhere in the middle.
Ie:if you are married and have children they should come first but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a job or be an artist etc.
I think each family should negotiate this amongst themselves.
The problem is when people become excessively ā€œcareer mindedā€ to the detriment of children.

From what little I’ve seen of him Father Rippinger raises good (although these days controversial to say) points about day care being negative etc but at the same time he’s also a bit unrealistic because sadly some of our societies today are built where people need two incomes to pay mortgage,cost of living is high etc.
Many workplaces by law ( at least where I live) now have to have flexibility and let woman keep their job while having time off after birth and I think there’s even a paternal leave(?) but these things aren’t long term.
He makes too much of an assumption that married women are working so they can buying all these luxuries but this often isn’t the case.

For many families two incomes is the difference between buying a house vs renting in a poor and unsafe area.
I know a Muslim guy who’s wife doesn’t work so they have one income and they rent in a very poor area.
Sure a lot of couples could do that but living in socioeconomic poor areas can also come with a large amount of problems like chronic stress and fear,crime,worry for the kids,worry for the wife when she’s home alone (or yourself if you are the wife) etc…

A lot of mothers have own/home business and to me I think that’s a bit more idea then ā€œslaving away in a corporate jobā€ with all the time pressure and expectations etc…

It would be nice though if ā€œhousewivesā€ were supported more instead of sometimes looked down upon.
My mothers a housewife and it’s an honourable ā€œroleā€.
 
Last edited:
This has been the constant teaching of the Church. Married women should not neglect their duty at home. Fr.Rippergers point is that married women should not enter the workforce without grave matter.
The teaching is that married women should not neglect their duties at home. The opinion is that a married woman who is working is necessarily neglecting her duties at home.

There were times when women were forced out of the home to work in factories and their children were left neglected, roaming the streets all day without care and supervision. This is clearly a neglect of the duties of home. Working while your kids are in school, in the care of a loving grandparent, or even in daycare, is not neglect of one’s duties.

I am a stay at home mom, by the way.
 
Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about him. Now, this comes with the admission that I’ve never met the man and have not read any of his books, only watched a few of his videos on Youtube. On the negative side I have to say he comes across - at least to me - as painfully full of himself. I say this only through watching his body language and listening to his tone in speaking, along with some of the things he says; obviously I have no window into his soul. This fault has a way of cropping up in some priests, especially of the celebrity variety. It is often seen in famous professors as well, and comes, I’m sure, from being surrounded by rapt audiences and never, or rarely, being contradicted.

But I see a lot of good in him as well. He speaks about many things that need to be said: the importance of prayer, frequent confession, personal asceticism, reverent worship (preferably in the Latin mass), and the reality of spiritual warfare - that there is a place called hell and it’s probably pretty easy, especially in today’s moral climate, to go there. Except for acknowledging the importance of prayer, there are very few priests today who speak so bluntly about these issues, and in this Father R is delivering the undiluted message of the saints, and that’s refreshing. So overall I consider him one of the ā€œgood guysā€.

Regarding his stance on Ninja Turtles, I have no idea!
 
Last edited:
He’s also apparently very anti-daycare, very anti-women in the workforce…
That’s honestly quite the understatement TBH. I listened to his talk about daycare (and really women overall)…and it’s out there…like in the boondocks out past the sticks. It was kinda jaw dropping, borderline comical, some of the stuff he said about daycare, working women and women who won’t have sex whenever their husband’s heart desires.
 
Last edited:
The ideal woman presented in Proverbs 31 is a business woman… estate manager. In reality, even men working away from the home is novel. For most of Christian history both men and women worked in and around the home…
 
I see that more with liberal priests who seek attention by advancing their agendas such as ā€˜women priests’, etc.
I’m a liberal Catholic that spends a lot of time reading Catholic websites, and I have trouble listing even one ā€œcelebrityā€ liberal Catholic priest other than Fr. James Martin. I can list a whole bunch of conservative ones, though.

… gave it a few minutes thought, and Fr. Martin is all I come up with.
 
There used to be a bunch more liberal celebrity Catholic priests, but they seem to have mostly all died off.

I suppose you could count Pope Francis as a liberal celebrity priest.
 
There used to be a bunch more liberal celebrity Catholic priests, but they seem to have mostly all died off.
I just thought of Fr. Thomas Reese, too, but he seems to have withdrawn from the spotlight.

Come to think of it, I can say the same for Protestant media preachers. I can name scads of conservative ones, but can’t think of a single liberal one.

I think that Traditionalist and conservative Catholics have a more visible media and internet profile than liberal Catholics in general. It might be because the person who started the whole media preacher thing in the first place, for both Catholics and Protestants, was the infamous Fr. Charles Coughlin, who was ultra-dultra far right.
 
While I don’t agree with all he says I think it is wise to at least entertain the idea that he is knowledgeable and may have some theology worth thinking about. Often I know as a horror buff and one who likes fantasy movies and books that there is a vein of thought within the Church from many who deal with deep theological matters that we should be careful with such things.
I respect that view and it should caution all to at least think about what we are doing, saying, positioning or putting into our minds.
Does that mean I don’t enjoy me some harry potter? No. But it does mean that I am mindful of the potential harmful spirituality that can be opened up.
 
So…does anybody really know what the priest said about this? We’ve got 40+ posts but it seems not.

We started with
So I heard somebody tell me that a certain exorcist priest who is very orthodox, Fr. Ripperger, Said something to the effect that
And here we are, a day later . . . šŸ¤”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top