N
niceatheist
Guest
Perhaps one of the biggest reasons I abandoned religion, and still struggle with it to this day, is the social control so inherent in organized religion. I don’t mean to repeat the fallacious argument that religion was created as a means of social control, but rather how it used by some believers to bully other believers.
There have been threads of late on yoga, Harry Potter, and of course, endless threads on how being a Democrat or being an opponent of the President, make you a bad Catholic.
It strikes me that for some , religion is a legalistic entity, that either you abide by not only certain rules, but also that you stifle all intellectual curiousity, and further that even non believers must be forced to abide by the religion’s rules, or at least the rules as they it.
I came out of a religion where social control was a very real thing, and I view this kind of religious faith as dangerous, and I can’t imagine ever abiding by someone telling me what to read or who to vote for, and yet that seems to be the tendency with some here.
There have been threads of late on yoga, Harry Potter, and of course, endless threads on how being a Democrat or being an opponent of the President, make you a bad Catholic.
It strikes me that for some , religion is a legalistic entity, that either you abide by not only certain rules, but also that you stifle all intellectual curiousity, and further that even non believers must be forced to abide by the religion’s rules, or at least the rules as they it.
I came out of a religion where social control was a very real thing, and I view this kind of religious faith as dangerous, and I can’t imagine ever abiding by someone telling me what to read or who to vote for, and yet that seems to be the tendency with some here.