Friends with Witches

• Thread starter Thread starter ElizabethECB
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ElizabethECB

What do you believe is the appropriate way to handle finding that a Catholic friend is a practicing witch as well? Would you continue to be a close friend? Would you give the friend your piece of mind? Would you end the friendship?

Does she attend Mass ? I don’t think it’s possible to be a Witch and Catholic at the same time. And Light and Darkness don’t fellowship very well. I would advise her to have a heart to heart with your Priest.
At our Parish, we have an enormous Spanish congregation, really around 2,000. ( my meandering will have a point ). A few years ago, our Priest very sternly told us that the Spanish Mass would only henceforth be given the Host on the tongue, never again in the Hand. Because Satanists had attended and slipped away, snuck out with Host in hand, to use in Satanic rituals.
Your friend might think she’s a Good Witch, nature lover or such, just talks to trees and casts love spells. But it’s spiritually dangerous territory.
A self proclaimed Witch may not be an actual Satanist, but she’s not a Catholic.
I wouldn’t be unkind to her, but she shouldn’t be a close friend at this point. And guiding her to sort this out with your Priest would help her.

Last edited:
What do you believe is the appropriate way to handle finding that a Catholic friend is a practicing witch as well? Would you continue to be a close friend? Would you give the friend your piece of mind? Would you end the friendship?
In all honesty I would tell her we have choices, they include living for the will of God, or living for ourselves and our own will. I would explain why we do not engage in activities that God tells us not to engage in and that those activities are working for the devil, in rebellion to God.

Then I would tell her I choose to live for God and abide by His law. That being said I would then tell her I do not want to associate with her until she again chooses to live for God.

Last edited:
I’ve had casual friends who said they were witches. For them was a fairly benign social activity, like they practiced an earth religion a couple times a year by getting together in a group with other witches at some campground somewhere, and didn’t go around discussing witchcraft constantly or advocating for it or doing any form of “black magic” like cursing people, etc. A lot of purported witches will not use witchcraft for an evil purpose like a curse, because they believe whatever bad they do will come back on them.

I’d probably have a difficult time being very intimate friends with anyone who was a serious, practicing witch on a regular basis, even if they weren’t doing curses and such, as I think it would be an occasion of sin for me personally to be around that.

I have also known people who became friends or relationship partners with purported witches who were into black magic or serious occult stuff and did not have a good experience. Some of them were truly terrified by the time they got away from the person. These are not super-religious people either, they’re just ordinary people who didn’t realize what they were getting into or didn’t take someone’s heavy witchcraft involvement seriously.

If your friend is still a Catholic then you might remind them that witchcraft and the occult are against Church teachings and also dangerous because they open portals to demonic forces that the witch can’t control. If they continue to practice witchcraft then maybe you want to distance yourself from them so you don’t get sucked into anything.

My friend is a he. He is not a practicing Catholic at this time. His moms mom is very Catholic and religious but, his father passed down knowledge of witch practices to him before passing. My friend considers himself a “grey witch” half black half white…

I appreciate your insight And you sharing your experiences. We are walking buddies and the only person I’ve associated with besides family. On a walk he confided his religious beliefs and that he doesn’t like to harm others as you said because it returns threefold. He’s been a great friend but perhaps distancing myself might be best.

She cannot have both. The Bible itself talks about witchcraft and other pagan things. Best bet is to pray for her. . . .

Last edited:
Insert political joke about female politician here. I would point out the contradiction, seriously the catechism does not say good things about magic and witchcraft.

(Ephesians 5:11-14) “Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. It is shameful even to talk about the things that ungodly people do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. This is why it is said: “Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”

(Galatians 6:1) “Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.”

(James 5:19-20) “My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.”

(2 Timothy 4:2) “Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.“

(Romans 16:17) “I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them.”

(2 Timothy 2:25) “Correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,“

(Matthew 18:15-17) If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

So I would
  1. Discuss it with them and gently explain that this behavior clearly goes against Church teaching. Perhaps if they disagree with you, get help from the Church. If they seem to be listening, be there for them, it may take a while to break bad habits/behavior but be patient.
  2. If they will not listen, do not associate with them because they are blatantly disobeying Christ’s teachings and the Church.
  3. In any situation, pray for them.

Last edited:
A self proclaimed Witch may not be an actual Satanist, but she’s not a Catholic.
You don’t have the authority to say that. If someone was baptized in the Catholic Church, believes that Christ is both fully divine and fully human, that He is the only true God, that He rose from the dead, and that the Pope is the heir to Saint Peter, then that person is a Catholic. Their other beliefs may be erroneous, but that doesn’t make them not part of the church anymore.

Last edited:
I think you should remain friends with this person, because you might very well lead them out of witchcraft and back into the faith. Christ Himself ate with much worse sinners.

What do you believe is the appropriate way
to handle finding that a Catholic friend is a practicing witch as well?
As others point out… perhaps being stronger is what could be done

You could inform him that the practice of witchcraft is in strong opposition to Christ.

And one cannot be into any notion of witchcraft…
… and be in full communion with the Church / Jesus - at the same time.

And let the cards fall as they may - as they say.

I think this is very dangerous advice. We should not assume we can withstand demonic influences we willfully allow in our lives on the basis that Jesus was able to do so and lead others out of sin in the process.

If I knew a witch, I would stay away. What if they decide they don’t like you, or are envious, say, and then do something to you?
We have two relatives that are involved in black magic and have done things against us. One time I had to go to the hospital. Now we don’t let them into our house.

Last edited:
I don’t think I have authority as much as logic. If a person has actually gone through catechism, is all the list you mentioned, and really believes all that which such a walk entails, they couldn’t be a Witch. You can’t be Light and Darkness ( though yes we are all sinners ) but I mean, so concretely, at the same time. I disagree with you. I was born in September 🙂

I also think this is dangerous advice… Satan is clearly alive, well, and especially active and seductive at this point in time. Demonic influence is not a trivial matter. Which is why this Friend should counsel with a Priest, if he wishes to live his life as a Catholic.

You can do as you see fit. However witchcraft and and Catholicism do not mix. You can be one or the other but not both at the same time.

ng witchcraft constantly or advocating for it or doing any form of “black magic” like cursing people, etc. A lot of purported witches will not use witchcraft for an evil purpose like a curse, because they believe whatever bad they do will come back on them.

I’d probably have a difficult time being very intimate friends with anyone who was a serious, practicing witch on a regular basis, even if they weren’t doing curses and such, as I think it would be an occasion of sin for me personally to be around that.

I have also known people who became friends or relationship partners with purported witches who were into black magic or serious occult stuff and did not have a good experience. Some of them were truly terrified by the time they got away from the person. These are not super-religious people either, they’re just ordinary people who didn’t realize what they were getting into or didn’t take someone’s heavy witchcraft involvement seriously.

If your friend is still a Catholic then you might remind them that witchcraft and the occult are against Church teachings and also dangerous because they open portals to demonic forces that the witch can’t control. If they continue to practice witchcraft then maybe you want to distance yourself from them so you don’t get sucked into anything.
What is his definition of being a “witch”? Does he subscribe to more Earth based pagan religion? Or does he claim he’s doing something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back