From a Liberal: Left on the wrong side of history

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
gilliam:
…The Pope really wanted a one world government headed by a reformed UN…
do you have an example of him explicitly expressing this? it seems odd to me, esp. given his apparent Polish nationalism.
also, i understood him to be opposed to an attack on Iraq, not who was attacking Iraq. he wanted more work to be done on diplomatic lines of reslolution and wouldn’t have been satisfied simply if more nations were involved in the attact.

God bless us

liberal friend:
This is an incrediblly thoughtful and detailed post (as all responces on this thread have been).

You neo-cons sure have done your homework. Bravo!!!
I am a smiley Queen do not take offense,I do that to everyone;)

Lisa N:
Michael Medved has a better term theo-con. He refers to someone whose religious convictions influence their thinking. Not in wanting to impose their religion (although that seems to be the usual liberal argument) but in saying that because of reglious objections I do not believe in abortions or homosexual marriage. The conservative side is focused on not thinking the government has all of the answers to social and economic problems. I see myself as more a theo-con than neo-con although I must say I’m not exactly sure what the latter term means.
Good point.
I really don’t think you can pigeonhole every set of thoughts.

I just believe that we should do what is right according to Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.

I believe in a proactive international presence to ensure the basic human rights of the poor and opressed.
I believe that any government doesn’t have right to do for people what they can do for themselves.
I believe that every program has to be handled at the lowest possible level of government.
I believe that the government exists to serve the people, not the people to serve the government.
I believe that we should not have career poloticians.
I believe that the government should aknowledge a higher power.
But most imiportantly I believe the government does not have the authority to contridict the moral law.
BTW is Irving Kristol, Bill Kristol’s dad? I saw his mom interviewed on Book TV and she is ONE impressive woman. Interestingly both his parents were Maxist Jews as young people and realized the error of their ways.

Lisa N
Yup and yup.

40.png
gilliam:
Do neocons want a one world government? The Pope really wanted a one world government headed by a reformed UN. That is why he didn’t want to see the US act on its own in Iraq.
Nah.
Hey, even saints don’t get everything right.

40.png
gilliam:
Do neocons want a one world government? The Pope really wanted a one world government headed by a reformed UN. That is why he didn’t want to see the US act on its own in Iraq.
Nothing personal, but this is nonsense. The Pope gave his reasons for opposing the U.S. invasion, and this wasn’t one of them.

Funky Cedars:
do you have an example of him explicitly expressing this? it seems odd to me, esp. given his apparent Polish nationalism.
also, i understood him to be opposed to an attack on Iraq, not who was attacking Iraq. he wanted more work to be done on diplomatic lines of reslolution and wouldn’t have been satisfied simply if more nations were involved in the attact.

God bless us
Yes, the Pope indicated that he would favor the liberation of Iraq if the UN approved it. He did not know that officials within the UN were being bribed by Saddam at the time.

The Pope wasn’t alone in wanting a stronger UN. Bolton wants a stronger UN as well, and so does Bush. I think the difference was in just how much the UN will play in leading the world and establishing real international laws. I think the Pope was closer to making it the ‘moral and legal center’ for the entire world (see his 1995 speach where he calls out to the UN to be the moral authority for the world).

some information is here:
ewtn.com/library/ISSUES/ZROMEUN.HTM

John Paul II returned to this theme in his Jan. 13, 1997, address to the members of the diplomatic corps accredited to the Holy See. “What the international community perhaps lacks most of all today is not written conventions or forums for self-expression — there is a profusion of these! — but a moral law and the courage to abide by it”

The community of nations, he continued, “must be regulated by a rule of law, valid for all of them without exception.” This law “has a strong moral implication,” he said. International law, moreover, should be founded on values such as the dignity of the person and the rights of nations. As such, international laws are thus moral principles before they become juridical norms.

In other words, a world government. And he saw it being headed by the UN.

By the way, historically, the moral and legal center for the world was Rome, not secularists at the UN. I guess we can give up any hope that will ever happen again, especially if Rome isn’t behind it.

Islam, by the way, hasn’t delegated their authority to the UN yet.

imho, implicit in a comment about the 'community of nations’ is an opposition to a one world government. a nation is a self-governing entity. if there was one government for the entire world, there would not be multiple nations. we’d be ‘country-states’ at best.
also, if there was to be only a single govening body regulating the world, the phrase ‘without exception’ would be redundant.
me thinks JPIIs desire to have a binding morality for all nations does not equate to a desire for the UN to run the Vatican State.

Christ is Risen!

Funky Cedars:
me thinks JPIIs desire to have a binding morality for all nations does not equate to a desire for the UN to run the Vatican State.
What Vatican State? I’m sorry, that was given up generations ago. Now the Pope can see all his domain from his bedroom window.

Pretty much like you and I

I’m curious how paleoliberals like Gilliam view the new Pope.

Of course an old time liberal (not a neo one like Gilliam) named President Wilson was much opposed to the last Pope named Benedict. Benedict refused to blame Germany for the war and to insist on its being punished to the economic benefit of the allies. Pope Benedict also did not seem to insist on an unconditional surrender or the removal of all the defeated countries leaders. Consequently, Pope Benedict XV was not even invited to the peace conference: as a man of peace, he did not get to divide the economic spoils of victory.

You new liberals (the cleverly self-described “neo-cons”) will probably insist that BXVI keep his nose out of America’s vision to forceably install democracy around the world. Just like Bush the Elder and the Younger told JPII to mind his own business as they bombed, invaded, and occupied countries in order to “free” them.

Thank goodness we invaded Iraq…or else there would be terrorists there now. :rolleyes:

Gilliam, what will happen in your world of “might makes right” when the Muslims have more might? Or do you think letting them all vote will be enough to pacify them?

Oh by the way–when is our invasion of the African continent going to happen? They seem to have very few democracies.

Funky Cedars:
imho, implicit in a comment about the 'community of nations’ is an opposition to a one world government.
Christ is Risen!
The last time we had a one world government, God destroyed it. Tower of Babel anyone?

Paleoliberals like Gillam want a one-world “new order” as long as the US gets most of the economic benefit. Morality be damned. For the so-called neocons: money talks, and morality can walk. Religion must be private for them. How Protestant :rolleyes:

liberal friend:
The last time we had a one world government, God destroyed it. Tower of Babel anyone?

Paleoliberals like Gillam want a one-world “new order” as long as the US gets most of the economic benefit. Morality be damned. For the so-called neocons: money talks, and morality can walk. Religion must be private for them. How Protestant :rolleyes:
Are you a michael moore fan? 😃

liberal friend:
I’m curious how paleoliberals like Gilliam view the new Pope.

Of course an old time liberal (not a neo one like Gilliam) named President Wilson was much opposed to the last Pope named Benedict. Benedict refused to blame Germany for the war and to insist on its being punished to the economic benefit of the allies. Pope Benedict also did not seem to insist on an unconditional surrender or the removal of all the defeated countries leaders. Consequently, Pope Benedict XV was not even invited to the peace conference: as a man of peace, he did not get to divide the economic spoils of victory.

You new liberals (the cleverly self-described “neo-cons”) will probably insist that BXVI keep his nose out of America’s vision to forceably install democracy around the world. Just like Bush the Elder and the Younger told JPII to mind his own business as they bombed, invaded, and occupied countries in order to “free” them.

Thank goodness we invaded Iraq…or else there would be terrorists there now. :rolleyes:

Gilliam, what will happen in your world of “might makes right” when the Muslims have more might? Or do you think letting them all vote will be enough to pacify them?

Oh by the way–when is our invasion of the African continent going to happen? They seem to have very few democracies.
Are you for real 😃

40.png
aimee:
Are you for real 😃
I don’t know if he’s for real or not. What I do know is that if he doesn’t stop the name calling and personal attacks, he will be reported and probably suspended.

liberal friend:

:ehh:

:whacky:

liberal friend:

Paleoliberals like Gillam want a one-world “new order” as long as the US gets most of the economic benefit. Morality be damned. For the so-called neocons: money talks, and morality can walk. Religion must be private for them. How Protestant
I am not in favor of a one world government. What I am in favor of is that all nations are ‘connected’ to each other both economically and by treaty. Because the connected ones don’t invade each other. It is the disconnected countries that do that. Read .The Pentagon’s New Map I am also in favor of spreading freedom (all Catholics should be in favor of that, after all it is a God given right, it is part of Natural Law). So morals are very important.

These positions are not that different from the Vatican’s by the way except the Vatican talks mostly about religious freedom and not a lot about political and economic freedom. I feel all three are extremely important to universal stability in this world.

I have never said the US should get the larger share of any economic gain.

40.png
gilliam:
I am not in favor of a one world government. What I am in favor of is that all nations are ‘connected’ to each other both economically and by treaty. Because the connected ones don’t invade each other. It is the disconnected countries that do that. Read The Pentagon’s New Map. I am also in favor of spreading freedom (all Catholics should be in favor of that, after all it is a God given right, it is part of Natural Law). So morals are very important.

These positions are not that different from the Vatican’s by the way except the Vatican talks mostly about religious freedom and not a lot about political and economic freedom. I feel all three are extremely important to universal stability in this world.

I have never said the US should get the larger share of any economic gain.
Excellent post 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back