Fun bible poll!(-:

  • Thread starter Thread starter ETEXAS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
And it came to pass, that Jesus and his disciples were walking along the Sea of Galilee. And they asked him, saying: Lord, what shall we do when thou art taken from us? And He spake unto them, saying: Fear ye not, but trust the Lord your God.

And straightaway did He raise His hands up unto the heaven in thanksgiving and saith in a loud voice: I thank thee, Abba, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for thou always hearest mine prayer, and I implore thee that thou helpest these poor followers of mine, and give thee unto them that precious book of thine which they shall solely need for their justification.

And no sooner had He said thus, there came a book from the heaven and dropped unto the hands of Jesus. And lo, the front and the back of the book is exceeding red as unto blood, being covered with skins, and it was exceeding thick as a stone, and it weigheth twoscore pounds, and upon its pages of parchment was written large, thick letters of black and red ink, and upon the front of it was graven thus in large letters of gold: YE HOLYE BYBLE, AUTHORYSED KYNGE JAYMES VERSYON. And below them was graven a number thus: a thousand six-hundred and eleven. And straightaway He spake unto them, saying: Take ye, distribute amongst yourselves: for verily, this is the inspired and infallible word of my Father, which is printed for you: this read in remembrance of me.

And straightaway the disciples taketh the book from the hands of the Lord, and they wondered greatly who James was. James the son of Zebedee and James the son of Alphaeus denied that it be them, and thus they pursued the matter not further. But rather they said thus amongst themselves: We shall not worry about such things small and inconsequential, for verily, the Lord hath turned his face unto us, condescending to give unto us a copy of his holy word.

And they waxed joyful and cried out, saying: Praise and glory and honour be unto God, for he hath granted us salvation and justification through his infallible word.

Then the disciples went forth and preached unto Jews and unto Gentiles as the Lord had commanded unto them, copying and printing and distributing and delivering that holy God-breathed Scriptures in the version of James the King, which alone is sufficient for their growing in righteousness and which alone is the only infallible rule of faith, and which hath but threescore and six books…

😃
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Really? Where?

😊 Ok, I’m out in the open as well ETEXAS… 😃
amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Catholic-Reference-Tyndale/dp/0842354891

I think it’s absolutely daft they have a price of $123.64 for a book which retails for around 40. Though, it’s there for $36. That’s excellent, for in the bookstore here it retails higher 🙂
 
And it came to pass, that Jesus and his disciples were walking along the Sea of Galilee. And they asked him, saying: Lord, what shall we do when thou art taken from us? And He spake unto them, saying: Fear ye not, but trust the Lord your God.

And straightaway did He raise His hands up unto the heaven in thanksgiving and saith in a loud voice: I thank thee, Abba, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for thou always hearest mine prayer, and I implore thee that thou helpest these poor followers of mine, and give thee unto them that precious book of thine which they shall solely need for their justification.

And no sooner had He said thus, there came a book from the heaven and dropped unto the hands of Jesus. And lo, the front and the back of the book is exceeding red as unto blood, being covered with skins, and it was exceeding thick as a stone, and it weigheth twoscore pounds, and upon its pages of parchment was written large, thick letters of black and red ink, and upon the front of it was graven thus in large letters of gold: YE HOLYE BYBLE, AUTHORYSED KYNGE JAYMES VERSYON. And below them was graven a number thus: a thousand six-hundred and eleven. And straightaway He spake unto them, saying: Take ye, distribute amongst yourselves: for verily, this is the inspired and infallible word of my Father, which is printed for you: this read in remembrance of me.

And straightaway the disciples taketh the book from the hands of the Lord, and they wondered greatly who James was. James the son of Zebedee and James the son of Alphaeus denied that it be them, and thus they pursued the matter not further. But rather they said thus amongst themselves: We shall not worry about such things small and inconsequential, for verily, the Lord hath turned his face unto us, condescending to give unto us a copy of his holy word.

And they waxed joyful and cried out, saying: Praise and glory and honour be unto God, for he hath granted us salvation and justification through his infallible word.

Then the disciples went forth and preached unto Jews and unto Gentiles as the Lord had commanded unto them, copying and printing and distributing and delivering that holy God-breathed Scriptures in the version of James the King, which alone is sufficient for their growing in righteousness and which alone is the only infallible rule of faith, and which hath but threescore and six books…

😃
There’s so much needed humor and laughes in that one. Wow you were creative in coming up with that one. I was laughing so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. Thanks for posting.

God bless.
 
I like to open up several translations and compare. But ever since I converted back to Catholicism, I’m not as into proof-texting since I don’t proselytized no more, pardna. Lost the desire to prove I’m right, Thank you Jesus! Now I read the Liturgy of the Hours in place of my bible, but I still like to search online scriptures. It seems many Catholics are trying to be as good at quoting scripture as some Protestants - believing the Protestants know their bibles better, when in fact that’s simply not necessarily true. I’ve run into many non-Church of Christ folks that think they know their bible until you start diggin deeper. It was especially fun when those folks would try to correct me on a scripture passage, not knowing my background. I would tell them different quotes from different translations and make sure they know which was which. Funny how Protestants try to proof-text all of their misguided translations of the translation.

I’m trying to get back into the reading the yearly reading again. I’ve read the bible so many times now that I’ve lost count. However, What interests me more now is the new things I never saw before the previous time I read the same passages. It’s almost like it’s setup to trip those that let their pride go to their heads to mislead them outside the magisterial teaching. One is sure to misinterpret when they get too prideful about their bible reading knowledge or habits. I’m trying to make up for many years of being so prideful, as a penance, so that I depend on preachers ( from authentic orthodox Catholics bishops, priests and deacons only). I pray the same for others to humble themselves as well. Reciting scripture is not the same as knowing or especially understanding it.
 
Hey, yesterday I saw a KJV with Red letters, and both the OT and NT had red letters. I’m going to find out the name to it, because I can’t remember!
 
I like to open up several translations and compare. But ever since I converted back to Catholicism, I’m not as into proof-texting since I don’t proselytized no more, pardna. Lost the desire to prove I’m right, Thank you Jesus! Now I read the Liturgy of the Hours in place of my bible, but I still like to search online scriptures. It seems many Catholics are trying to be as good at quoting scripture as some Protestants - believing the Protestants know their bibles better, when in fact that’s simply not necessarily true. I’ve run into many non-Church of Christ folks that think they know their bible until you start diggin deeper. It was especially fun when those folks would try to correct me on a scripture passage, not knowing my background. I would tell them different quotes from different translations and make sure they know which was which. Funny how Protestants try to proof-text all of their misguided translations of the translation.

I’m trying to get back into the reading the yearly reading again. I’ve read the bible so many times now that I’ve lost count. However, What interests me more now is the new things I never saw before the previous time I read the same passages. It’s almost like it’s setup to trip those that let their pride go to their heads to mislead them outside the magisterial teaching. One is sure to misinterpret when they get too prideful about their bible reading knowledge or habits. I’m trying to make up for many years of being so prideful, as a penance, so that I depend on preachers ( from authentic orthodox Catholics bishops, priests and deacons only). I pray the same for others to humble themselves as well. Reciting scripture is not the same as knowing or especially understanding it.
Great avatar! I follow to a degree where you are coming from, for me, I enjoy reading it (The Bible) I …like yourself do not spoon it to folk I use it as a central devotion ( I think this how Augustine put it…) and to open discussion…JP2 EARLY in his Papacy…CALLED Catholics to…Know Holy Scripture… he even stated "the “current” ignorance of Scripture in the Church among Laity is Shameful and Distressing. I loved JP2…het when he wanted to pound an issue…he did NOT mince words!!!:cool:
 
Great avatar! I follow to a degree where you are coming from, for me, I enjoy reading it (The Bible) I …like yourself do not spoon it to folk I use it as a central devotion ( I think this how Augustine put it…) and to open discussion…JP2 EARLY in his Papacy…CALLED Catholics to…Know Holy Scripture… he even stated "the “current” ignorance of Scripture in the Church among Laity is Shameful and Distressing. I loved JP2…het when he wanted to pound an issue…he did NOT mince words!!!:cool:
St. Jerome: “Ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ”.

I’ve seen JP2 while stationed in Germany inthe 80’s. I was also there during the Chernobyl disaster. Funny thing, I can’t give blood anymore since “mad cow disease” was detected there. And, I single handedly ended to cold war. Yeap. I’ve had a tremendous impact on defending national security all over the world. Even a little when I’m awake.😃
 
St. Jerome: “Ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ”.

I’ve seen JP2 while stationed in Germany inthe 80’s. I was also there during the Chernobyl disaster. Funny thing, I can’t give blood anymore since “mad cow disease” was detected there. And, I single handedly ended to cold war. Yeap. I’ve had a tremendous impact on defending national security all over the world. Even a little when I’m awake.😃
Amen! Actually the current Catechism for Adults has a section with an emphatic message to Catholics on DUTY to Read Scripture it contains the great and accurate Jerome Quote!:cool:
 
Amen! Actually the current Catechism for Adults has a section with an emphatic message to Catholics on DUTY to Read Scripture it contains the great and accurate Jerome Quote!:cool:
While Catholics catch up to my learning of scripture, I’ll be learning about the historical church through the ancient Church fathers. I still read scripture, just not as emphatically as I used to for now. Most of the Catholics that came from my background feel the same way. It’s that we missed out of that inspired us to convert. Our biblical knowledge was full of pride and until we were humbled by truth in history we used that biblical knowledge to proselytized Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, JWs, Mormons, church of Christ Scientists, etc. In fact, some of my family is down in Houston proselytizing non-Christians, like Catholics, Baptists, etc, sincerely trying to save them.

My point is that far too many people get on the reading my bible better or more than you kick without realizing the misguided pride behind their agenda. It’s true that we should all read the bible. But not everyone should use what they read to evangelize in the sense that they become more knowledgeable over someone else. We should be readying scripture for encouragement and help our understanding of the entire deposit of faith. Break out a catechism too along with it. Without the Church teaching the bible divides us into thousands of beliefs. That it, we need more than our own interpreted understanding of the bible to get truth from it. Outside a knowledge of Church history, found in the ancient Church fathers and such, we can come up with ideas that are far from truth. I know because that is what happened to me and many others I know.

PAX Christi tecum
 
The NIV because an Anglican friend gave it to me as a gift for my ordination.🙂
 
Sorry, I use the Catholic Jerusalem Bible translation.

What makes this a “fun” Bible poll? :confused:
Anto!🙂 I was my friend being “Tongue In Cheek” I called it…“fun” simply I I asked those even “sometimes” read or liked a certain Prot translation “to come out of …the Closet” 🙂 Stay with the class!:cool: Summer-School is a bummer!😃
 
Okay then. I used to study and read from my Catholic bible even after I became a fundamentalist. My preacher told us that the NAB was a very good translation. It surprised me, so I gave him my old tattered one that I obtained when I was 15. By the time I ended high school I had read the entire bible as well as thumbing through all the references. I had read the New Testament about 3 times. So, I’ve always used multiple bibles, including a Greek New Testament bible with facing page NIV and KJV translations. I’ve read the KJV as well as the NIV. ASV was another translation I read.
 
Okay then. I used to study and read from my Catholic bible even after I became a fundamentalist. My preacher told us that the NAB was a very good translation. It surprised me, so I gave him my old tattered one that I obtained when I was 15. By the time I ended high school I had read the entire bible as well as thumbing through all the references. I had read the New Testament about 3 times. So, I’ve always used multiple bibles, including a Greek New Testament bible with facing page NIV and KJV translations. I’ve read the KJV as well as the NIV. ASV was another translation I read.
ASV is hard to find now in hardback (no pun intended) …came out 1901…there is a Publisher Star Publications that still has runs of the ASV.:cool: Not thought about that oldie in a while!🙂
 
ASV is hard to find now in hardback (no pun intended) …came out 1901…there is a Publisher Star Publications that still has runs of the ASV.:cool: Not thought about that oldie in a while!🙂
The Church of Christ leaders in my former congregations strongly recommended it. Yes, it was difficult to find. However, I did find a Ryrie Study Bible that had the translation in brackets. I did a study on various translations and found that it was supposedly one of the better modern day translations. I still like to use my Catholic bible though. I couldn’t decide which one I preferred and memorized from both the KJV and the NIV mostly. However, I still liked to check my NAB. I know just enough Greek to get me into trouble. My favorite New Testament was my Greek with direct translations below. On my journey I realized many different things that I didn’t understand growing up and that none of the “Bible experts” in our Christian community even knew based on their replies to valid questions I proposed [very carefully so as not to get chastised]. They couldn’t explain things that ultimately lead my entire family home to the Catholic Church starting in October 2006.

Here’s a video of some of my work (ada ministry): youtube.com/user/mdstanzel1?feature=mhum#p/a/f/0/cAjbIe2RrXY

Amen, brother!
 
Okay then. I used to study and read from my Catholic bible even after I became a fundamentalist. My preacher told us that the NAB was a very good translation. It surprised me, so I gave him my old tattered one that I obtained when I was 15. By the time I ended high school I had read the entire bible as well as thumbing through all the references. I had read the New Testament about 3 times. So, I’ve always used multiple bibles, including a Greek New Testament bible with facing page NIV and KJV translations. I’ve read the KJV as well as the NIV. ASV was another translation I read.
He recommended the NAB? A protestant recommended the NAB?
 
I have both the NIV and KJV… though i read more on NIV as the translation is easier to understand.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top