A
aball1035
Guest
In Matthew 16:18, this confuses me. Shouldn’t it be “forces” of Hell? Gates don’t really move, and can’t prevail against something. What’s the Greek (or Aramaic) here?
Yes, good question and I agree with the above poster. It’s no the gates as such, its the eruption of sin-carrying demons from said gates that will not prevail.Good question! I’m not entirely sure, but I think the gates of hell is where the denziens of hell would usher forth from. So maybe that is what he are trying to imply.
Like, “the gates of Mordor will not prevail against us” to use a silly comparision, to imply the gates, the main place, the entrance and opening, will not prevail.
I think “forces” would make more sense though. I wonder what the literal translation is…![]()
The Greek is πύλαι, pulai, gates. Right, gates don’t move. The Church does, and it’s banging through those gates, and the gates are giving way.In Matthew 16:18, this confuses me. Shouldn’t it be “forces” of Hell? Gates don’t really move, and can’t prevail against something. What’s the Greek (or Aramaic) here?
That’s right! I remember hearing a priest speak on the radio about this verse, and he seems to infer that it is referring to the church attacking the gates…not the other way around! I completely forgot about this, thanks for the reminder!The Greek is πύλαι, pulai, gates. Right, gates don’t move. The Church does, and it’s banging through those gates, and the gates are giving way.
When I was young I used to think the rectangular objects on which Jesus is standing in the icon of the Harrowing of Hell were the busted-down gates of hell. I later learned that they were just the lids of Adam and Eve’s coffins. But I like my previous misinterpretation better
Did you know that the gates of hell are locked from the inside?
I love this imagery!!!That’s right! I remember hearing a priest speak on the radio about this verse, and he seems to infer that it is referring to the church attacking the gates…not the other way around! I completely forgot about this, thanks for the reminder!
We seem to automatically think that hell is attacking and we are on the defensive. Not so! We are on the offensive, and the gates of hell will not prevail! It makes a little more sense thinking of it that way.Very nice.
In the past, until I think the medieval era, gates are very important. Every major city would be walled and the only way to enter in and out are the gates. When an opposing army attacks a city, they will try to seize the gates, because its the only way to conquer that city is to take control of a gate, open it, and let your army in.In Matthew 16:18, this confuses me. Shouldn’t it be “forces” of Hell? Gates don’t really move, and can’t prevail against something. What’s the Greek (or Aramaic) here?
This is exactly right! All my life, and I am a pre-VCII Catholic, it was presented as the “gates of hell” are coming against the church, even some of the C A apologists present this view (I have emailed them about it in discussion) but the very orthodox Fr. Matthew Kauth of “Catholic Scripture Study” fame opened my eyes in his lecture on Matt 6.That’s right! I remember hearing a priest speak on the radio about this verse, and he seems to infer that it is referring to the church attacking the gates…not the other way around! I completely forgot about this, thanks for the reminder!
We seem to automatically think that hell is attacking and we are on the defensive. Not so! We are on the offensive, and the gates of hell will not prevail! It makes a little more sense thinking of it that way.Very nice.
I think its one symbolism for Christianity expanding to where pagans where and there’s nothing the devil can do to stop it.This is exactly right! All my life, and I am a pre-VCII Catholic, it was presented as the “gates of hell” are coming against the church, even some of the C A apologists present this view (I have emailed them about it in discussion) but the very orthodox Fr. Matthew Kauth of “Catholic Scripture Study” fame opened my eyes in his lecture on Matt 6.
“When did you ever attack somebody with a gate? How can you attack with a gate? This means that the Church is constantly assailing hell and that hell can not prevail against the Church.” The gates are not attacking the Church.
This is a good example of not comparing the symbolism being conveyed to what the symbolism means.
I have always taken it to mean that the good guys are the ones on the offense, not that bad guys.In Matthew 16:18, this confuses me. Shouldn’t it be “forces” of Hell? Gates don’t really move, and can’t prevail against something. What’s the Greek (or Aramaic) here?
Apollos,The Greek is πύλαι, pulai, gates. Right, gates don’t move. The Church does, and it’s banging through those gates, and the gates are giving way.
When I was young I used to think the rectangular objects on which Jesus is standing in the icon of the Harrowing of Hell were the busted-down gates of hell. I later learned that they were just the lids of Adam and Eve’s coffins. But I like my previous misinterpretation better
Did you know that the gates of hell are locked from the inside?