N
newlywed10
Guest
I want to start by saying, that I don’t really have a stanse on this “issue” just comments that have run through my mind on both sides.We allow gays in the military here. But what I found when I was in was that many people still didn’t choose to share that information. How did I know that - because usually you had a reasonable idea of who was gay anyway.
I can’t imagine that it is any different in the US - if you are living and working in close contact with people, you get to know them, often even the things they don’t tell you. I just don’'t see that the “don’t ask don’t tell” policy could be all that effective - it seems pointless to me.
If someone is not professional enough to serve with someone who is gay, or with someone of another sex for that matter, I really don’t want to give them a dangerous weapon and send them out into the world in the name of my country…
My first point is that every man, no matter their sexual orientation should be allowed to defend their country. Being, gay, should not necessarily make them less able to defend their country…but…this leads me to my other point…
Many men might feel very uncomfortable with the knowledge that their bunkmate or comrad is gay. This discomfort could lead to the person paying more attention to the gay man and thoughts of “is he looking at me” “can he handle this” “is he attracted to insert name” All these questions running through the minds of the gay man’s comrads could potentially harm the company on missions, minds won’t be where they should. It’s not that any man is wrong for thinking that way, but it could happen.
I don’t mean to sound insensitive, these are just thoughts that have crossed my mind when this issue arose.