Gays

  • Thread starter Thread starter vjnycguy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
i support gay marriage, every marriage should be happy šŸ˜‰ but homosexual marriage on the other hand, i dont support, God bless
having gay in the society or church it is not a new occurrence, the word hate should not be used in connection with humans only with sin, your remember what hate and no tolerance did during dark ages.(only fanatics use that word) God is the only Judge of those who go against His commandments, you may throw the stone on that person but you lie, or sleep around with different boyfriends (girlfriends), steal, sin is a sin no matter in what form. i think we should start from the top, our leaders first for a good and godly example, the rest will follow, because how can we speak against gays after what had happened in our church. we have no leverage on this topic, that’s what makes us look like a hypocrites in the eyes of pagans.plus if you think about we are heading close to the end of earth history and that’s what Jesus said in his gospels would be happening now. there is not much we can do except shine with our example, surround them with love of our savior and let God do the rest.
 
I believe the OP is talking about the recent stories… like the gay couple that was denied their application to rent an apartment, and the other gay couple that was refused a wedding cake
Yes
 
I think I see where OP is coming from. Take note of the thread where two people were denied an apartment because they were a gay couple. Now, the debate continues on wether or not that’s ok(I don’tthink it is) but I think what the OP is saying is that in a lot of cases, good Christians are erroring on waaay over the side of caution. tome, a warm place to live is a chartible act, if not a right, and I think some things shouldn’t be decided on basis of sexual orientation. We all know that to support homosexuals by ways of marriage laws is bad, but i think the OP is trying to get at, that we seem to be going to far, once we deny housing to homosexuals, because it seems like that’s going the uncharitable route.
 
Like what? As a group, they are above average intelligence, so they have not been denied educational opportunities. As a matter of fact, SS"M" is the current cause célèbre of academia. As a result of education, they have above average incomes, so they have not been denied employment opportunities. Have you heard of any gays being turned away from the voting polls? Have you heard of any gays being denied the right to buy and sell property?
You seem to have missed the entire point.
I think it’s they who are trying to tell the rest what to think.
I’m close to certain that no gay person will ever care what you think.
 
And this is what is so sad and disgusting. In church we heard about all the famine in Africa, various bombings of Christians by jihad groups, people in North America going hungry, mentally ill homeless living in destitution, etc. We are called on to support Catholic initiatives to alleviate these things. We are called to volunteer in soup kitchens, to help paint shelters, etc. Yet, in the public square, media and political arena, all the attention is on letting some well-off upper-middle class people prattle on about themselves and how horrible their privileged and comfortable lives are
I find it ā€œsad and disgustingā€ – well, figuratively speaking, anyway – that potential means for alleviating those former problems you mentioned are drastically underfunded in the United States. Our government spends at least ten times more on the defense budget – producing weapons that we’ll doubtlessly need to fight The Transformers one of these days – than it does on any programs for relieving the conditions of citizens who need it the most.

Our ā€œpublic squareā€ should be talking about the absolute scandal it is that the military-industrial complex is being given what are essentially hand-outs by the government (jobs bills for contractors to produce machines of death that we do not need), while important things like education and programs for relieving the condition of suffering citizens go underfunded.

We should be talking about that in the public square.

But we don’t. And why not? Because in America – where public life is dominated by religion – the simple idea that homosexuals should be allowed to get married (a notion largely uncontroversial elsewhere in the world) produces a giant fight among talking heads, especially those lovely conservative cultural ā€œwarriorsā€ who are the first ones to droolingly support building weapons of death (I think that you and I have very different understandings of what a ā€œculture of deathā€ actually looks like).
 
Fr. Mitch Pacwa of EWTN had an example illustrating why this happens. If you ever go out to demonstrate against abortion, you will find homosexuals counter-demonstrating. The natural question people ask is, why do homosexuals need abortion? They don’t really, of course, but they have joined a political coalition that supports the things only small percentages do. They in turn get support from the pro-abortion lobby, etc. This forms a powerful voting bloc. That way they multiply their meager numbers.
You mean like when Christians banded together around the time of Roe v. Wade? Before that Catholics and Baptists and every other group was at eachother’s throats. Catholics during the early 1900’s I definitely would agree with you were a persecuted group. People were afraid of electing JFK because he was a * scary voice* CATHOLIC! He’s subservient to a foreign power! But eventually they came together. So much so that there are alot of Catholics and Baptists that are even willing to band together and vote for a Mormon.

So even if you’re right, and I don’t think you are personally, what’s wrong with it if you guys did it too?
 
I know it probably seems like PC triviality to some, but I really don’t think we’ll get maximum traction with gay folks if they hear us calling them ā€œthe gaysā€. Imho, it sounds at least anachonistic, like calling black folks, ā€œthe blacksā€.
 
I find it ā€œsad and disgustingā€ – well, figuratively speaking, anyway – that potential means for alleviating those former problems you mentioned are drastically underfunded in the United States. Our government spends at least ten times more on the defense budget – producing weapons that we’ll doubtlessly need to fight The Transformers one of these days – than it does on any programs for relieving the conditions of citizens who need it the most.

Our ā€œpublic squareā€ should be talking about the absolute scandal it is that the military-industrial complex is being given what are essentially hand-outs by the government (jobs bills for contractors to produce machines of death that we do not need), while important things like education and programs for relieving the condition of suffering citizens go underfunded.

We should be talking about that in the public square.
I agree with you 100% on everything you say here. I’m sure the Church would as well.
…] the simple idea that homosexuals should be allowed to get married (a notion largely uncontroversial elsewhere in the world) …]
As someone who lives ā€œelsewhere in the worldā€ and works and is friends with many people from ā€œelsewhere in the worldā€, methinks you are mistaken. This concept of ā€œgay marriageā€ is particularly Western. Even within the West, there is hardly any consensus, regardless of what your media would have you believe. (And I’m against CNN, Fox … all of them.)

Are you aware that a prominent self-identifying homosexual testified in Parliament against same-sex marriage back when it was being debated here in Canada? I know self-identifying gay people who find the idea of gay marriage absurd.

That being said, we (at least the great majority of us…I’m sure some very small groups of wingnuts do) don’t spend as much time and effort thinking and talking about it as you Americans do. You are obsessed with gays to an unhealthy level. A very orthodox Catholic friend of mine told me this. But your culture is so sclerotic, so steeped in hyperbole and sycophancy, that you can’t bear to have rational, calm discussions about anything. This is true of most people in your political mainstream.
…] those lovely conservative cultural ā€œwarriorsā€ who are the first ones to droolingly support building weapons of death
Yes, and so many of them practically worship Randian philosophy, even though she and her followers are ā€œArchitects of the Culture of Deathā€. Those people you decry are hypocrites and, as far as I’m concerned, not real Christians. They ignore Church teaching on social justice the way people like Melinda Gates ignore the teachings on sexual morality. Your American bishops speak out openly against both groups.

I can’t stand the people you decry above either. Many of them are secretly living in the gay lifestyle as well, or are having multiple affairs, or are patronising prostitutes. Even if they weren’t, you can’t pick and choose to rail against only gays whilst ignoring the other stuff. (Likewise, you can’t only talk social gospel without talking about prayer, the need for redemption, the importance of sexual morality, etc.)
(I think that you and I have very different understandings of what a ā€œculture of deathā€ actually looks like).
Actually, I think we are more in agreement than you realise. šŸ™‚
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top