G
GerardMajella
Guest
I understand your point, which is why I recommend looking at multiple commentaries from various sources.So you can definitely trust the sages… to lead you astray.
One of my favorite commentators, Matthew Henry, happened to be a Protestant. But his commentary is excellent, and has helped me to gain a better understanding of Scripture. Same with the Jewish commentators. In fact, I find the Jewish commentators to be quite insightful and helpful in understanding difficult passages in the Old Testament. Utilized in conjunction with Catholic resources, they can help the lay reader to better understand difficult passages in the Old Testament.
Many Catholic priests will study under Jewish rabbis for a period of time in order to better understand the Old Testament. They will learn Hebrew, and study various Jewish commentaries, including the Talmud.
Not all Jews deny Christ, by the way. A rather large number of Messianic Jews live in Israel, and the United States.