George Carlin is miserable

  • Thread starter Thread starter edwest2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched and then only listened to George Carlin recently. He had a lot to complain about. A lot of things were bothering him. In fact, he thought being in a coma would be a good thing for a guy like him. Yeah, he’s miserable and he wants you to feel it.

Comedy is dead. No more jokes. Nothing uplifting. Everything is bad, especially kids.

Entertainment is dead.

Lots of profanity, crude references to body parts, graphic mentions of violence and physical injury - this is comedy?

And sex. Gotta throw in graphic, crude, vulgar references to sex.

Please pray for Mr. Carlin who also told everyone he was a Catholic and is Irish.

Poor guy. He needs some good, clean humor that is uplifting.

God bless,
Ed
Amen! A child of the 60s, who believes in everything of this world, and very little of Heaven. The results of this have already spoken. Regardless of his age, he needs a faithlift!

Merciful Lord in Heaven, may Your Divine joy fall upon this suffering soul, who has searched for happiness in this world, finding only that which deceives and leads to emptiness. May Your Heavenly light shine upon him, illuminating his spirit with Your message of hope through Christ Jesus, Who is the everlasting hope of this world. Graciously lift his spirit, empowering him to ponder Your Goodness and experience a change of heart. May the resulting joy shine for all to see, as the lamp which is not hidden, but placed on a stand. We ask this through Christ, our Lord, Who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, One God for ever and ever. Amen. Alleluia!
 
George Carlin was an early victim of the liberalization that started to infect Catholic schools in the 1950’s–the liberalization that threw out the baby with the bath water. In Class Clown he stated his school’s principal (a priest, I wonder if SJ?) was really big into Dewey and “progressive education” and by Carlin’s own words (my memory) “…we had so much freedom that by eigth grade most of us had lost the Faith”

Another downturn for George was when his wife died some years ago–I caught him on Politically Incorrect the week it happened and he was truly in a nihilistic mood that evening–even Bill Maher avoided him when possible

Am praying for him–George, you are always welcome home.
 
Hmmm…I never really looked at Carlin as miserable, but really that he just used a lot of negatives, etc in life and tried to put a funny spin. I have not seen, however, anything new–like in the past 5 or 7 years that he’s done. I too liked him as the narrator in Thomas the Tank Engine–my son was just outgrowing that show when he became a big hit. I think that somewhere along the lines, humor became jokes about people in doom, or people who have had tragedies…for example–jokes about 9/11 are absolutely horrible to me. There is nothing funny about terrorism. Nothing funny about Osama Bin Laden. Nothing funny about abortion. But, this type of thing sells, and I don’t get it.

I like Ellen Degenres–I don’t agree with her lifestyle, but she is a funny person, clean jokes–and just makes you laugh…HARD. Like a belly laugh. I think more comedians could be cleaner, like she is–although, she references/promotes the gay lifestyle in some of her routines, I like her comedy.
 
His earlier stuff was hilarious. I love his routines “Picky Eater” and “Icebox Man”. He is capable of being funny without profanity and shock-tactics…but he doesn’t do it often.

I think the loss of his wife–I give him credit for being married to the same woman for decades, no divorces and remarriages as so many celebrities do–has made him a very bitter, angry man. It’s sad, because he really has a comic genius but can’t seem to do much any more without profanity.
I didn’t know this, thanks for this perspective on him. I also remember thinking he was funny many, many years ago, but not the few times I heard him in the last decade. It’s ironic that the childhood faith that he has rejected would have helped him struggle through this terrible loss. I’m confident he’ll find Christ again with all the prayers he’s receiving.

Oh, blood and water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a font of mercy for us, I trust in You. Jesus, I trust in You.
 
Ed, you are absolutely right. I happened to stumble across one of his “specials” the other night and was completely disgusted. What a waste of a truly original mind (some of his early stuff was clean and hilarious.)

He is a sad, angry, miserable person with no faith. Maybe we can pray him back to the Church. (Why is it that ex-Catholics are SO angry??? Realizing what they lost???)

For something really funny and clean, here is “The Mom Song” by Christian comedienne Anita Renfroe. She set all those old sayings every mom has used to the William Tell Overture, and sang them. It is a hoot and totally clean. (You may have seen it…)

youtube.com/watch?v=RxT5NwQUtVM
Now that’s funny! I’m still crying from laughing so hard. Thanks!:rotfl:
 
Now that’s funny! I’m still crying from laughing so hard. Thanks!:rotfl:
Amen! Now, if mom could just do that in two minutes each day, what blessed peace there would be for the rest of the day.

Christ’s peace.
 
Amen! Now, if mom could just do that in two minutes each day, what blessed peace there would be for the rest of the day.

Christ’s peace.
That WOULD be something, my work would be done! po18guy, I have to tell you, I was just reading the prayer intentions for Baby Gavin & his mom, & you write the most beautiful, inspired prayers. The one above also gives me hope. May God continue to bless you. I also echo your prayer for George Carlin.
 
There are those of us out here who left the Catholic faith when young but were later brought back. Don’t ever give up praying for Carlin! Somebody prayed for me.

Without faith you don’t know how to pray for yourself, you have such a distant idea of God, you don’t know Jesus, you need someone to pray on your behalf.

There is a song we sometimes sing in our parish:

“We pray thee too for wanderers from thy fold,
O bring them back, good shepherd of the sheep.
Back to the faith which Saints believed of old,
Back to thy church which still thy faith doth keep…”
 
There are those of us out here who left the Catholic faith when young but were later brought back. Don’t ever give up praying for Carlin! Somebody prayed for me.

Without faith you don’t know how to pray for yourself, you have such a distant idea of God, you don’t know Jesus, you need someone to pray on your behalf.

There is a song we sometimes sing in our parish:

“We pray thee too for wanderers from thy fold,
O bring them back, good shepherd of the sheep.
Back to the faith which Saints believed of old,
Back to thy church which still thy faith doth keep…”
Amen! 👍 Just read this post: forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=2500674&postcount=11
You are never too old, indeed!

Christ’s peace.
 
I watched and then only listened to George Carlin recently. He had a lot to complain about. A lot of things were bothering him. In fact, he thought being in a coma would be a good thing for a guy like him. Yeah, he’s miserable and he wants you to feel it.

Comedy is dead. No more jokes. Nothing uplifting. Everything is bad, especially kids.

Entertainment is dead.

Lots of profanity, crude references to body parts, graphic mentions of violence and physical injury - this is comedy?

And sex. Gotta throw in graphic, crude, vulgar references to sex.

Please pray for Mr. Carlin who also told everyone he was a Catholic and is Irish.

Poor guy. He needs some good, clean humor that is uplifting.

God bless,
Ed
Please pray for Mr. Carlin you say…pray to do what? Don’t you believe that God has a devine plan? Catholics were taught that at an early age, all of us…remember? Through millions of years God has every little thing mapped out for us. If we are to die of an illness, thats Gods plan. If we live to be 100, Gods plan. If we get cancer Gods plan again. Want a better chance of getting well, take your medicine. Praying is an act of trying to change Gods plan. Praying is an act of wanting something. Very very dangerous to try and change Gods plan…
Code:
Say you pray for something and it isn't in Gods plan (his divine plan)  Isn't it wrong to try and convince God to change his plan just for YOU?  eg: you pray  to do well on a test, pray to ask God to help your little breathing problem,  pray to God because you want a new car, or bike, or new clothes,  or to make  a certain girl/guy  like you etc.    Everyday millions of people pray to God to change things, changing  Gods plan.  Most people who pray do so on Sunday at church.  Isn't Sunday Gods day off (day of rest) We were all taught that  remember?   and the prayers come in by the billions on Sundays.  Kind of  selfish if you ask me bugging God on his day off.  Lets not forget.  Jews including Jesus were taught that Saturday is the Sabbath, and they are Gods chosen people. We were taught that remember?   Very interesting but true. Why did christianity change Gods plan for the sabbath.  Saturday to Sunday.
Now for myself, I never pray. I figure things out myself. I believe God/higher power is proud of me. God probably says…there is a guy that knows what he wants and knows how to be successful to get it. He figures it out himself. I feel great knowing that instead of mumbling a few words over and over, I roll my sleeves up and do what has to be done. If it doesn’t work then I know it wasn’t in Gods plan.

George Carlin, keep up what you do best…if you carry on the way you are, it must be Gods divine plan. If you are not successful in the future…Gods plan again.
 
Now for myself, I never pray. I figure things out myself. I believe God/higher power is proud of me. God probably says…
With all due respect, you may want to refresh yourself on the book of Luke, chapter 11, see what our Lord says about this.

And, since you are Catholic, section 4 of your Catechism.
 
With all due respect, you may want to refresh yourself on the book of Luke, chapter 11, see what our Lord says about this.

And, since you are Catholic, section 4 of your Catechism.
Code:
Other bible quotes that I guess you know as well.

 Maybe you should read Exodus 20:4.....You shall not carve idols for yourselves in the shape of anything in the sky above or on earth below...........the catholic church has statues and pictures of saints, everywhere.......NOT RIGHT!  Protestants say so to.
MT 6:7 But when you pray use not vain repetitions. (like the rosary) as the heathens for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Rosary was invented in 1090 AD by Peter the Hermit. Not sure if he is related to Herman and the Hermits but could be. Praying on beads came from pagan religions before, also Hindus invented praying on beads around the 4th century long before catholics copied their idea. Protestants have this one right!

MT 23:9 and call no one on earth your father for one is your father who is in heaven…shouldn’t be calling priests father…the bible says so.

George Carlin has appeared to millions and I am sure a good number of them were catholics. He is the number 1 standup comedian in America and Americans have made him #1

Catholics I find are very narrow minded and extremely thin skinned. Example. Watching skits on saturday night live of making fun of George Bush or Hillary Clinton and thousands of others over the years. What do they?. They laugh at themselves. When someone makes a comment about catholics what do they do…get all upset over nothing!. Time to laugh at yourselves and quit being so serious.
Code:
Most of what George Carlin says about the church is true.  He might say it in a sarcastic way but its all in humor.  

He says:  Catholic church takes in billions of dollars every year.  Pays no taxes,  and every sunday asks for more $$....TRUE  STORY!

Growing up like you,  I remember all the childrens stories/pictures from the bible and the catechism.   As adults many catholics still believe in this stuff.
Example: Angels: All depictions in the catholic church of angels are racially motivated to brain wash us. White is might! to the catholic church …When you see pictures or ceiling murals in churches of angels they are all VERY TALL ever notice that? I am sure you do. They all have white skin, blue eyes and blond hair. You’ve seen them. They are usually blowing a trumpet. (LOL) Why? Not one short angel, not one fat angel not one afro-american, japanese, chinese, middle eastern looking angel! Have you ever seen one? No you say. Why not? Shouldn’t angels be a crossed representative of what our culture is? Its not all white. What is the church teaching us? Angels also have wings on the back of their shoulders that are fixed. They don’t move. Whats that about? Angels all wear light colored smocks/hassacks that go right down to their sandals. What no sneekers or cowboy boots? No jeans? Why? WHAT IS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH TEACHING US???

Then there is Michael the arc angel. Always shown as a muscular fellow with thick blond hair and blue eyes riding a large powerful white horse. NEVER a black or brown horse…Why? On his wrists are tight fitting brass bangles and holding the largest sword I have ever seen with his RIGHT muscular arm. He is the only angel that wears a shorter smock or hassack. Sort of like a mini skirt to show off his muscular legs.

Why does the catholic church brain wash us to believe in all this non sense imagery. Only the catholic church! No wonder people make fun of the church…and you think all this angel stuff that I mention is OK? Please post back and tell me that what I typed above is not correct… UNBELIEVABLE!
 
Other bible quotes that I guess you know as well. Maybe you should read Exodus 20:4…You shall not carve idols for yourselves in the shape of anything in the sky above or on earth below…the catholic church has statues and pictures of saints, everywhere…NOT RIGHT! Protestants say so to. MT 6:7 But when you pray use not vain repetitions. (like the rosary) as the heathens for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Rosary was invented in 1090 AD by Peter the Hermit. Not sure if he is related to Herman and the Hermits but could be. Praying on beads came from pagan religions before, also Hindus invented praying on beads around the 4th century long before catholics copied their idea. Protestants have this one right! MT 23:9 and call no one on earth your father for one is your father who is in heaven…shouldn’t be calling priests father…the bible says so. George Carlin has appeared to millions and I am sure a good number of them were catholics. He is the number 1 standup comedian in America and Americans have made him #1 Catholics I find are very narrow minded and extremely thin skinned. Example. Watching skits on saturday night live of making fun of George Bush or Hillary Clinton and thousands of others over the years. What do they?. They laugh at themselves. When someone makes a comment about catholics what do they do…get all upset over nothing!. Time to laugh at yourselves and quit being so serious. Most of what George Carlin says about the church is true. He might say it in a sarcastic way but its all in humor. He says: Catholic church takes in billions of dollars every year. Pays no taxes, and every sunday asks for more $$…TRUE STORY! Growing up like you, I remember all the childrens stories/pictures from the bible and the catechism. As adults many catholics still believe in this stuff. Example: Angels: All depictions in the catholic church of angels are racially motivated to brain wash us. White is might! to the catholic church …When you see pictures or ceiling murals in churches of angels they are all VERY TALL ever notice that? I am sure you do. They all have white skin, blue eyes and blond hair. You’ve seen them. They are usually blowing a trumpet. (LOL) Why? Not one short angel, not one fat angel not one afro-american, japanese, chinese, middle eastern looking angel! Have you ever seen one? No you say. Why not? Shouldn’t angels be a crossed representative of what our culture is? Its not all white. What is the church teaching us? Angels also have wings on the back of their shoulders that are fixed. They don’t move. Whats that about? Angels all wear light colored smocks/hassacks that go right down to their sandals. What no sneekers or cowboy boots? No jeans? Why? WHAT IS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH TEACHING US??? Then there is Michael the arc angel. Always shown as a muscular fellow with thick blond hair and blue eyes riding a large powerful white horse. NEVER a black or brown horse…Why? On his wrists are tight fitting brass bangles and holding the largest sword I have ever seen with his RIGHT muscular arm. He is the only angel that wears a shorter smock or hassack. Sort of like a mini skirt to show off his muscular legs. Why does the catholic church brain wash us to believe in all this non sense imagery. Only the catholic church! No wonder people make fun of the church…and you think all this angel stuff that I mention is OK? Please post back and tell me that what I typed above is not correct… UNBELIEVABLE!
TROLL ALERT!!! First of all, begin telling the truth. You are NOT Catholic, as you claimed when you joined.
 
TROLL ALERT!!! First of all, begin telling the truth. You are NOT Catholic, as you claimed when you joined.
Code:
  Non practicing catholic is what the church refers to me as.  (as most current catholics are) less then 30% of catholics attend mass ONCE a month according to statistics in the USA.  When I started school in September 1956 I believe 85% of catholics attended mass WEEKLY!   Whats happening?  

 Instead of the large red letters   TROLL  ALERT!  An intelligent person would respond back and laugh at what I wrote about angels, even though it is true.   But you won't things like this upset you.  Too bad.  Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Next time you see a depiction of an angel please remember me, and if you ever see a picture of a dwarf, fat, or middle eastern featured  angel please let me know.  I have never seen one.  They are ALL tall white with blond hair.  UNBELIEVABLE   because the catholic church makes them all that way.  Right?  Right!   Lighten up a little!
 
Non practicing catholic is what the church refers to me as. (as most current catholics are) less then 30% of catholics attend mass ONCE a month according to statistics in the USA. When I started school in September 1956 I believe 85% of catholics attended mass WEEKLY! Whats happening?

Instead of the large red letters TROLL ALERT! An intelligent person would respond back and laugh at what I wrote about angels, even though it is true. But you won’t things like this upset you. Too bad. Laugh and the world laughs with you. Next time you see a depiction of an angel please remember me, and if you ever see a picture of a dwarf, fat, or middle eastern featured angel please let me know. I have never seen one. They are ALL tall white with blond hair. UNBELIEVABLE because the catholic church makes them all that way. Right? Right! Lighten up a little!
Catholic or not, some of what you wrote is a misunderstanding of what the Church teaches. Perhaps you could find threads on the issues you have raised and discuss them seperately.
 
Please pray for Mr. Carlin you say…pray to do what? Don’t you believe that God has a devine plan? Catholics were taught that at an early age, all of us…remember? Through millions of years God has every little thing mapped out for us. If we are to die of an illness, thats Gods plan. If we live to be 100, Gods plan. If we get cancer Gods plan again. Want a better chance of getting well, take your medicine. Praying is an act of trying to change Gods plan. Praying is an act of wanting something. Very very dangerous to try and change Gods plan…
Code:
Say you pray for something and it isn't in Gods plan (his divine plan)  Isn't it wrong to try and convince God to change his plan just for YOU?  eg: you pray  to do well on a test, pray to ask God to help your little breathing problem,  pray to God because you want a new car, or bike, or new clothes,  or to make  a certain girl/guy  like you etc.    Everyday millions of people pray to God to change things, changing  Gods plan.  Most people who pray do so on Sunday at church.  Isn't Sunday Gods day off (day of rest) We were all taught that  remember?   and the prayers come in by the billions on Sundays.  Kind of  selfish if you ask me bugging God on his day off.  Lets not forget.  Jews including Jesus were taught that Saturday is the Sabbath, and they are Gods chosen people. We were taught that remember?   Very interesting but true. Why did christianity change Gods plan for the sabbath.  Saturday to Sunday.
Now for myself, I never pray. I figure things out myself. I believe God/higher power is proud of me. God probably says…there is a guy that knows what he wants and knows how to be successful to get it. He figures it out himself. I feel great knowing that instead of mumbling a few words over and over, I roll my sleeves up and do what has to be done. If it doesn’t work then I know it wasn’t in Gods plan.

George Carlin, keep up what you do best…if you carry on the way you are, it must be Gods divine plan. If you are not successful in the future…Gods plan again.
We are told to pray for one another. We are taught that it is not good to confirm a brother in his or her sin. Mr. Carlin is angry. He mocks Catholic beliefs and he mocks God. As Catholics, we should pray for him. He is publicly denying God. What did Jesus say? “If you declare me before men I will declare you to my father.” In God’s infinite mercy, all can come in repentance to Him at any time. What Mr. Carlin is doing best is denying God and even denying hope to others. He assures everyone through his “comedy” that everything around them is ********. That the only one you can rely on is yourself. It strikes me that he is sad, lonely and hurting.

God bless,
Ed
 
Catholic or not, some of what you wrote is a misunderstanding of what the Church teaches. Perhaps you could find threads on the issues you have raised and discuss them seperately.
Please post back to me of my misunderstandings of what the church teaches. Was it the one about the church collecting billions of dollars, or about the angels?..
 
We are told to pray for one another. We are taught that it is not good to confirm a brother in his or her sin. Mr. Carlin is angry. He mocks Catholic beliefs and he mocks God. As Catholics, we should pray for him. He is publicly denying God. What did Jesus say? “If you declare me before men I will declare you to my father.” In God’s infinite mercy, all can come in repentance to Him at any time. What Mr. Carlin is doing best is denying God and even denying hope to others. He assures everyone through his “comedy” that everything around them is ********. That the only one you can rely on is yourself. It strikes me that he is sad, lonely and hurting.

God bless,
Ed
Why are you so concerned at what others believe or don’t believe. Shouldn’t you worry just about yourself? Aren’t you a catholic because your parents indoctrinated YOU into a family tradition, at a very early age and thats all you knew? People from other cultures have other beliefs. When someone like you preaches that eveyone should embrace only Jesus then I want no part of it. I treat A L L people equally and with respect no matter what they believe. Why? Because at an early age like you I was taught that GOD LOVES EVERYONE!

Organized religion does one thing. Oh it brings catholics together and protestants together in their faith, Jews, and Muslims too…but the most important thing it doesn’t do…BRING PEOPLE TOGETHER!! Nearly 50% of US citizens are protestant, nearly 26% catholic, and yet have more catholics/protestants in jail per capita then any country in the world. UNBELIEVABLE…BUT ITS TRUE!

Japan a democratic country has a population of over 85% aetheists. Yet crime is at all time lows in that country. Few crimes committed and jails are near empty. Check it out.
 
Please post back to me of my misunderstandings of what the church teaches. Was it the one about the church collecting billions of dollars, or about the angels?..
Instead of derailing the thread, why not start seperate threads on all these issues. Then those of us who wish to respond more fully to your issues will be happy to discuss this with you.

Also, the rules of the site, are one subject at a time. If you do more then one subject at a time the thread will end up closed. THat is not fair to the original poster and won’t get you answered.🤷

I am taking for granted that you, like everyone else on this site, wants to have a give and take discussion, so why not do so in a manner that will get you the most responses?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top