George Carlin is miserable

  • Thread starter Thread starter edwest2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edwest2

Guest
I watched and then only listened to George Carlin recently. He had a lot to complain about. A lot of things were bothering him. In fact, he thought being in a coma would be a good thing for a guy like him. Yeah, he’s miserable and he wants you to feel it.

Comedy is dead. No more jokes. Nothing uplifting. Everything is bad, especially kids.

Entertainment is dead.

Lots of profanity, crude references to body parts, graphic mentions of violence and physical injury - this is comedy?

And sex. Gotta throw in graphic, crude, vulgar references to sex.

Please pray for Mr. Carlin who also told everyone he was a Catholic and is Irish.

Poor guy. He needs some good, clean humor that is uplifting.

God bless,
Ed
 
I watched and then only listened to George Carlin recently. He had a lot to complain about. A lot of things were bothering him. In fact, he thought being in a coma would be a good thing for a guy like him. Yeah, he’s miserable and he wants you to feel it.

Comedy is dead. No more jokes. Nothing uplifting. Everything is bad, especially kids.

Entertainment is dead.

Lots of profanity, crude references to body parts, graphic mentions of violence and physical injury - this is comedy?

And sex. Gotta throw in graphic, crude, vulgar references to sex.

Please pray for Mr. Carlin who also told everyone he was a Catholic and is Irish.

Poor guy. He needs some good, clean humor that is uplifting.

God bless,
Ed
Yes, & quite frequently mean. I remember years ago getting annoyed with him because he was making fun of girls with anorexia in his routine. Pretty low. He does need prayers. Say one for me, too,ok? (I was in a very angry mood today, thanks!)
 
Carlin became an angry person many years ago. I remember watching one of his shows on HBO about 10 years ago and realizing that his bit is to just hate everything. I don’t see much funny about a man who vents his hatred and anger towards every aspect of his life and depends upon people who also harbor this hatred to laugh at him.

Ironically, the things that get the biggest laugh from his audience are the funny faces he makes when he is mocking someone or something. There is very llittle uplifting wit or substance to his routine.

I watched this latest special for a while last night and had to turn it off when he began a bit about how we talk to people in Heaven. He prefaced this bit with the comment that there is no Heaven, that God and Heaven do not exist. He referenced his childhood in a Catholic household by saying “I should know. I was raised in a Catholic home. I’ve grew up hearing all this s***!”

Evidently, he wasn’t listening closely enough. He’s nothing but an anger ball who thinks that his word is the last word on every subject. I find him to be vile.

As an atheist, he fits in well with the HBO agenda. HBO is nothing more than a promotional outlet for atheism, pornography, and anti-American sentiment. I will be canceling my HBO subscription and letting both HBO and DirecTV know exactly why HBO lost my business.

Wow! That turned into a rant… 😊
 
Is George Carlin Catholic? I know he was raised in a Catholic family, but I believe he rejected it and is a self described atheist.

Used to know him in the early 70’s. Worked at an all night gas station in Santa Monica pumping gas, he lived down the street. Would visit several times a week at 3 or 4am, trying his new material & jokes on my partner & I before he did them at the comedy clubs he was booked at. Usually totally hilarious.
 
I find that so many so-called ‘comedians’ have this problem. They are angry, and bitter, and have no hope about anything. So much of comedy is not funny any more. I feel bad for these people. They have no hope, or optimism, just bitterness and anger. That’s not funny,

Just as bad, if not worse, is that Bill Mahr doofus. These people get so angry, it’s not funny it’s pitiful.
 
Okay, call me naive, but…I used to love Carlin when I was younger! I especially loved the “hippy, dippy weatherman”. Listened to a lot of his stuff.
Then kind of forgot about him. About 5 years ago, dh and I planned a fun trip to Vegas. Carlin was appearing at one of the hotels, and we booked tickets. We walked out after about 10 minutes. It was just totally vulgar. We were sitting at a table with a 30-ish woman and her mother. I was so embarassed. Dh said he needed to use the restroom, grabbed my hand, and we headed out the door. He said he just could not listen to such trash in front of his wife and other women. It really was bad.
BTW-tickets were about 80 bucks a pop. We didn’t even ask for a refund, we just bolted.
JC
 
His earlier stuff was hilarious. I love his routines “Picky Eater” and “Icebox Man”. He is capable of being funny without profanity and shock-tactics…but he doesn’t do it often.

I think the loss of his wife–I give him credit for being married to the same woman for decades, no divorces and remarriages as so many celebrities do–has made him a very bitter, angry man. It’s sad, because he really has a comic genius but can’t seem to do much any more without profanity.
 
For what it’s worth, Carlin was a wonderful narrator for the *Thomas the Tank Engine *children’s series. I used to snuggle on the couch with my boys when they were really young watching the videos and I’d always fall asleep. I feel immune to Carlin’s negative humor because, to this day, I think the sound of his voice would put me out like a light.

Seriously though, prayers for him and his poor audiences.
 
But there must be some hope for this man.
He narrates many of the “Thomas the Tank Engine” programs for children. 🤷
I don’t think Carlin has done those in a long time. Alec Baldwin is the most recent narrator I’ve heard and even that was a few years back.
 
Ed, you are absolutely right. I happened to stumble across one of his “specials” the other night and was completely disgusted. What a waste of a truly original mind (some of his early stuff was clean and hilarious.)

He is a sad, angry, miserable person with no faith. Maybe we can pray him back to the Church. (Why is it that ex-Catholics are SO angry??? Realizing what they lost???)

For something really funny and clean, here is “The Mom Song” by Christian comedienne Anita Renfroe. She set all those old sayings every mom has used to the William Tell Overture, and sang them. It is a hoot and totally clean. (You may have seen it…)

youtube.com/watch?v=RxT5NwQUtVM
 
He did the voice of Filmore in the animated Pixar film “Cars.” His character was a 1960’s VW van that they made look like him. Filmore doesn’t have a lot of lines but those he does have are really cute and funny. Now, if Mr. Carlin could think of how his other material might sound to children, maybe he’d relearn to be a truly funny man again.
 
Please pray for Mr. Carlin who also told everyone he was a Catholic and is Irish.
Irish american maybe.
Catholic not, he is a militant atheist.
Bitter yes.
 
I think Carlin used to be really funny and probably peaked about 10-15 years ago. He had a new HBO special up and I was shocked to see how badly he had aged and how pointless his rants were…
 
He was pretty funny as the hitchhiker in “Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back,” though.
 
?

Isn’t this post like going into a garbage can and complaining about the smell?

What did you expect?
 
?

Isn’t this post like going into a garbage can and complaining about the smell?

What did you expect?
Ha! Reminds me of another commedian Jeff Foxworthy who noted the male fascination with awful smells. Get a whiff of a gym bag that has been siiting in a locker for months with sweaty athletic supporters and a guy will go to his friend and say, “Whew! You gotta smell this!”

Amazingly, the friend does it. 😃
 
?

Isn’t this post like going into a garbage can and complaining about the smell?

What did you expect?
Is that why it’s on TV, because it smells? It is being offered as entertainment (?), as c-o-m-e-d-y (??).

To any normal Catholic with any sense of sin or morality or restraint, this is not comedy or entertainment, but this is typical of what TV executives are peddling on the airwaves. Pure, unadultered, profanity, sin and generally immoral behavior. And the problem that is being identifyed is that some people think it’s OK to talk like this and act like this and be like this. They just let the words and images soak into their brain until “their conscience is seared like with a hot iron.” It’s Ohhh Kaaay! Enjoy the dirt, the filth, the violence! This is Modern American Culture!! Don’t you know?

It’s not OK.

God bless,
Ed
 
There was a reason people couldn’t say those 7 words on TV. They were dirty and filthy. If someone teaches their child that profanity is wrong, it doesn’t suddenly become OK the moment they become an adult. But the TV and Movie Executives want you to think that, and so do the producers of porn. “Adult Language,” “Adult Situations,” “Adult Bookstore,” “Adult Entertainment” (prostitution in printed or video form).

Porn stars are prostitutes.

Profanity is always wrong, no matter how many times “comedians” (?) use it. Lewis Black, Bill Maher, etc.

As a Catholic, that is your only position.

God bless,
Ed
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top