George Carlin is miserable

  • Thread starter Thread starter edwest2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you so concerned at what others believe or don’t believe. Shouldn’t you worry just about yourself? Aren’t you a catholic because your parents indoctrinated YOU into a family tradition, at a very early age and thats all you knew?
Oh my, you are in for a surprise. Most people here are converts to Catholicism and we come from all different belief systems.🙂
People from other cultures have other beliefs. When someone like you preaches that eveyone should embrace only Jesus then I want no part of it. I treat A L L people equally and with respect no matter what they believe. Why? Because at an early age like you I was taught that GOD LOVES EVERYONE!
One of the aspects of Catholicism that I love is the concept of Invincible Ignorance. Many Protestants don’t share this belief with Catholics.
 
Oh my, you are in for a surprise. Most people here are converts to Catholicism and we come from all different belief systems.🙂

One of the aspects of Catholicism that I love is the concept of Invincible Ignorance. Many Protestants don’t share this belief with Catholics.
You say "One of the aspects of catholicism that I love is the concept of Invincible ignorance. Many protestants don’t share this belief with catholics…Invincible ignorance!

You are a catholic because your parents indoctrinated you into this religious family tradition of catholicism. If you were born into a protestant family that lived next door to you, your view point would be entirely different. Its basically based on family tradition unless someone converts for their own personal belief. Its important to embrace all people not only ones that have your belief structure. Thats why the world is the way it is. We were taught years ago…God loves everyone. I think that means protestants to. Put away this partisan view of life and accept everyone who does whats right. Not one that only have the same viewpoint that you have. By the most part organized religous people are so because their parents told them so. If someone converted from another faith had no faith at all then they used their own age of reasoning to make a logical choice for their life…thats the big diference. Your parents chose your path in life for you. Recent statistics released stated that upwards of 40% of americans break away from the faith they were brought up in and a large percentage are catholics who broke away. A generation ago this would not have happened but today people are not afraid of making their own personal life choices…I call that very healthy.
 
Today people are not afraid of doing whatever they want. They don’t want to feel guilty or ashamed or sinful. Jesus said, “If you love me keep my commandments.” This is the Son of God talking to you and the world.

God is a just God. If you love Him it should not be your intent to run around, do whatever you want and encourage others to do the same. The Catholic Church is the one, holy, Catholic (universal) and Apostolic Church. No one is going to force you to believe that. But now that you’ve heard the truth about Jesus Christ it is up to you.

All Catholics need to pick up their cross daily and follow Jesus. It’s not always easy but God loves us and wants what’s best for us. Jesus called His followers friends. He is alive at this moment.

God bless,
Ed
 
Today people are not afraid of doing whatever they want. They don’t want to feel guilty or ashamed or sinful. Jesus said, “If you love me keep my commandments.” This is the Son of God talking to you and the world.

God is a just God. If you love Him it should not be your intent to run around, do whatever you want and encourage others to do the same. The Catholic Church is the one, holy, Catholic (universal) and Apostolic Church. No one is going to force you to believe that. But now that you’ve heard the truth about Jesus Christ it is up to you.

All Catholics need to pick up their cross daily and follow Jesus. It’s not always easy but God loves us and wants what’s best for us. Jesus called His followers friends. He is alive at this moment.

God bless,
Ed
Ed, I respect your views and beliefs. I might kid around a little bit but people should not take things so seriously unless the matter is serious. However they are not mine views, and by far I am not alone. What George Carlin says are his views/beliefs or lack of. . If people don’t like them they don’t have to watch or attend his show. Many religious people were outraged in the 1950s when Elvis Presley came out. His swiveling hips were too much for some conversative people. Everyone got through it and lived their life without any problems. Then the Beatles came along with Beatlemania…again a few people didn’t think long hair was proper on young men. We all got through the 60s OK.

The catholic church has struggled the last few years with their own problems, the sex abuse scandal. George Carlin doesn’t hold a candle to that.

Things that George Carlin says about the church are true. He just puts a humours spin on things to make people think. He gets my attention. He is sort of a watchdog, to make people aware and look at things a different way, like the SNAP organization that keeps close tabs on the catholic church. Thankgoodness for them.
 
You say "One of the aspects of catholicism that I love is the concept of Invincible ignorance. Many protestants don’t share this belief with catholics…Invincible ignorance!
Yes, I understand that some Protestants disagree with the concept of Invincible Ignorance.
You are a catholic because your parents indoctrinated you into this religious family tradition of catholicism.
I am a convert to Catholicism. Many people on this forum are converts.
Its important to embrace all people not only ones that have your belief structure.
I do.🤷
Thats why the world is the way it is. We were taught years ago…God loves everyone. I think that means protestants to.
Hey, we agree.🙂
Not one that only have the same viewpoint that you have. By the most part organized religous people are so because their parents told them so.
Yes, being in the south and married to a man of Jewish descent, I am very aware of showing other religions respect.

I thought that you understood that when I mentioned Invincible Ignorance.:confused:

You realize that you and I are derailing this thread.:ehh:
 
The late 1960s poisoned the Body of Christ. I believe Mr. Carlin is among the victims.

God bless,
Ed
 
What George Carlin says are his views/beliefs or lack of. .
basically you are saying that George Carlin has more rights then the rest of America. He could ignore the Catholic Church and Christianity. HE doesn’t. We could ignore George Carlin, we aren’t. Free speech doesn’t work one way, if you say something then others are allowed to respond to you.
The catholic church has struggled the last few years with their own problems, the sex abuse scandal. George Carlin doesn’t hold a candle to that. Thousands of so called good priests gone bad, sexually assaulting many young boys. The worst crime! Cardinals & Bishops lied and covered up these alegations and moved priests to other parishes where many abused again and again.
The sex abuse scandal is horrible. I agree. Statistically though priest are no more likely to abuse young boys then your neighbor. If the Church had responded by putting the abusing priest in jail there would be no controversy.😦 That doesn’t mean that there aren’t wonderful, dedicated priests. It means that the Church is made up of very fallible, fallen human beings.
Things that George Carlin says about the church are true. He just puts a humours spin on things to make people think. He gets my attention. He is sort of a watchdog, to make people aware and look at things a different way, like the SNAP organization that keeps close tabs on the catholic church. Thankgoodness for them.
I don’t know what SNAP is?:confused:

Carlin has a right to free speech. I think that he is wrong but going into detail of each thing you have brought up will get this thread closed down. THe moderators are pretty strict in that regard.🤷
 
The late 1960s poisoned the Body of Christ. I believe Mr. Carlin is among the victims.

God bless,
Ed
Ed, “The late 1960s poisoned the Body of Christ” What an awful thing to say. Never have I ever heard a Priest/Bishop/Cardinal or the Pope himself ever say that. I never heard of that myself. How do you make this stuff up so fast? George Carlins’ career didn’t really get started until the 1970s. I guess the 1970s are poisoned to.
 
basically you are saying that George Carlin has more rights then the rest of America. He could ignore the Catholic Church and Christianity. HE doesn’t. We could ignore George Carlin, we aren’t. Free speech doesn’t work one way, if you say something then others are allowed to respond to you.

The sex abuse scandal is horrible. I agree. Statistically though priest are no more likely to abuse young boys then your neighbor. If the Church had responded by putting the abusing priest in jail there would be no controversy.😦 That doesn’t mean that there aren’t wonderful, dedicated priests. It means that the Church is made up of very fallible, fallen human beings.

I don’t know what SNAP is?:confused:

Carlin has a right to free speech. I think that he is wrong but going into detail of each thing you have brought up will get this thread closed down. THe moderators are pretty strict in that regard.🤷
George Carlin is one of many comedians (you might not think so) who criticize segments of society. We all make fun of something. Catholics just take things too seriously.

I checked out your blog…nothing there for me. SNAP stands for SURVIVOR NETWORK AGAINST PEDOPHILE PRIESTS. Google SNAP and read about their work.

I disagree about your statistics of priests who molest. John Jay college in New York (criminology) did a study with the bishops council a few years back and up until 2001 over 4.5% of all priests are or have been molesters. That percentage is a lot higher then the average population. John Walsh americas most wanted stated on Larry King (CNN) July 27 2007 (I saw the show) he has information that over 10,000 catholic priests have molested. Many have just not been caught or turned in. He has a nephew that is a catholic monsignor ?? in Chicago.
I agree with you that there are thousands of very good dedicated priests that do a lot of good work. Its too bad for the many rotten apples there are. I focus more on the nagative side of things. Sort of a watchdog. I am glad you are happy with your conversion to catholicism. If you are happy thats all that should matter. We just have to lighten up a little about the catholic jokes that fly around.
 
George Carlin is one of many comedians (you might not think so) who criticize segments of society. We all make fun of something. Catholics just take things too seriously.

I.
Well at least Catholics aren’t like one belief system that blows up people who make jokes at thier expense.

Grrr…those pacifist are scary.😛
 
Ed, “The late 1960s poisoned the Body of Christ” What an awful thing to say. Never have I ever heard a Priest/Bishop/Cardinal or the Pope himself ever say that. I never heard of that myself. How do you make this stuff up so fast? George Carlins’ career didn’t really get started until the 1970s. I guess the 1970s are poisoned to.
Make up what? Read about the Legion of Decency, a Catholic organization, that existed from 1933 to 1970. Read about the “sexual revolution.” I know Mr. Carlin really got started in the 1970s. That’s when I saw him perform.

Read any good book about the Hippies and what they stood for:

Sex with anyone.
No marriage and the “piece of paper” that goes with it.
Hard core pornography is good.
Using illegal, harmful drugs is good - cool even.

I watched as good Catholics gradually took up the Hippie lifestyle. Long hair, smoking dope, shacking up. I watched the Church slowly withering as people took up addictive behaviors revolving around illegal drugs and hard-core porn. I was there.

God bless,
Ed
 
Make up what? Read about the Legion of Decency, a Catholic organization, that existed from 1933 to 1970. Read about the “sexual revolution.” I know Mr. Carlin really got started in the 1970s. That’s when I saw him perform.

Read any good book about the Hippies and what they stood for:

Sex with anyone.
No marriage and the “piece of paper” that goes with it.
Hard core pornography is good.
Using illegal, harmful drugs is good - cool even.

I watched as good Catholics gradually took up the Hippie lifestyle. Long hair, smoking dope, shacking up. I watched the Church slowly withering as people took up addictive behaviors revolving around illegal drugs and hard-core porn. I was there.

God bless,
Ed
Ed: I was there in the 60s to. The hippies moved on when the 70s came along. Most grew up got married and lead productive lives, I am sure a few even became priests or nuns. I had a high school buddy that was at woodstock in upstate NY back in 69. Today he is a highly educated executive living a very good life. Pornography, I think most men can say they have looked at least a little of that. Long hair, whats wrong with that? Smoking dope was never for me. Sex with anyone? Well we are sexual beings. My doctor told me we think of sex at least 50 times a day and often think about someone else other then our spouse. Who will admit to that? I will. Guilty, but only human like everyone else.

I will say again. what does it matter what others do? Who am I or you to judge? If you are happy with your life thats all that should matter. Every generation has some vices different then the generations before. I am sure infidelity has gone on since day 1. Is it right? No, but not my concern.
Code:
We forgive those who trespass against us..........remember that line?   We should be living it.  There wouldn't be agencies out there helping people if they all decided  "well you brought this on yourself"   your an alcoholic its your fault.  You smoked too much and now you have cancer......too bad.......those are not the attitudes we should have.    

I am sure George Carlin has a good side that you might not see.  Telling dirty jokes or making fun of catholic issues is trivial compared to some things I see going on.
 
Well at least Catholics aren’t like one belief system that blows up people who make jokes at thier expense.

Grrr…those pacifist are scary.😛
Those people who blow people up are extremeists. You know that. Most Muslims pray 5 times a day for hours and are very dedicated to their faith. More then I can say about many catholics who call themselves religious and the few that even go to church and go for only 40 minutes 1 day a week. Many sit in church checking out the opposite sex or the new clothing some are wearing. Believe me its true. I use to watch people in church. I never followed the service much myself. Now I don’t go to church anymore but I am a good person. I know whats right and wrong and try to do right most of the time. Thats what really matters in life. I don’t belong to any group. . Not a catholic, muslim, jew, protestant, hindu etc person. I am a people person. Just like god said. God loves EVERYONE!
 
Ed: I was there in the 60s to. The hippies moved on when the 70s came along. Most grew up got married and lead productive lives, I am sure a few even became priests or nuns. I had a high school buddy that was at woodstock in upstate NY back in 69. Today he is a highly educated executive living a very good life. Pornography, I think most men can say they have looked at least a little of that. Long hair, whats wrong with that? Smoking dope was never for me. Sex with anyone? Well we are sexual beings. My doctor told me we think of sex at least 50 times a day and often think about someone else other then our spouse. Who will admit to that? I will. Guilty, but only human like everyone else.

I will say again. what does it matter what others do? Who am I or you to judge? If you are happy with your life thats all that should matter. Every generation has some vices different then the generations before. I am sure infidelity has gone on since day 1. Is it right? No, but not my concern.
Code:
We forgive those who trespass against us..........remember that line?   We should be living it.  There wouldn't be agencies out there helping people if they all decided  "well you brought this on yourself"   your an alcoholic its your fault.  You smoked too much and now you have cancer......too bad.......those are not the attitudes we should have.    

I am sure George Carlin has a good side that you might not see.  Telling dirty jokes or making fun of catholic issues is trivial compared to some things I see going on.
What does it matter? We are supposed to help bear one another’s burdens. We are told to help our brother if he stumbles in his faith.

All Catholics, all of us are part of the Body of Christ. We are a community of faith. I lived in such a community.

But the devil came in with a counterfeit life and told everyone it was good. Try it, you’ll like it. Deception is the devil’s primary weapon. Let’s review:

1960 Introduction of the Birth Control Pill.

1968 Hippies tell everyone to try their lifestyle. Sex with anyone. Drop acid (LSD). Don’t trust anyone over 30, which includes parents, priests, nuns and just about anyone in authority. Off the Pigs! (Kill the Police!)

1970s Hardcore porn becomes widely available through an explosion of Adult Bookstores across the country. Television gradually begins to introduce subjects that were forbidden in the 1950s and 1960s, like sex. But even Catholics didn’t think it was "that bad.’

1973 Abortion legalized.

The National Organization for Women drives a wedge between husbands and wives and all men and women. Feminist Gloria Steinem tells her sisters: “A woman needs a man llike a fish needs a bicycle.” Feminist Betty Friedan calls the family “a comfortable concentration camp.” Women are encouraged to think of themselves as victims or guaranteed future victims of the enemy - all men.

1980s Porn on cable in motels and hotels. No-Fault Divorce sweeps the country. No kids? $75 and you’re out. And it’s nobody’s fault.

More sexual situations on network TV. Sue Ellen on Dallas is shown drinking straight out of the bottle.

1990s Into the abyss. Profanity and Partial Nudity on network TV. So-called “shock jocks” appear on the radio to promote immorality. The internet appears and of course, it’s loaded with porn. You can’t tell a Christian from a non-Christian. Moms and dads are being pushed around by their kids.

2000s Comedy turns into anti-Christian, anti-morality talk-fests. Endless, graphic sex jokes. Mocking God and religious people.

So you see, this society has turned away from God big time. Church attendance dropped because people found it easier to not follow the rules. And besides, they saw that their neighbors’ lives were supposedly easier/more fun/ freer because God was on the back burner. Now you’ve got girls dressing like prostitutes right along with their moms.

Mr. Carlin is being a very bad example to potentially millions of people. He is a lapsed Catholic, and all of us Catholics should continue to care about him.

God bless,
Ed
 
What does it matter? We are supposed to help bear one another’s burdens. We are told to help our brother if he stumbles in his faith.

All Catholics, all of us are part of the Body of Christ. We are a community of faith. I lived in such a community.

But the devil came in with a counterfeit life and told everyone it was good. Try it, you’ll like it. Deception is the devil’s primary weapon. Let’s review:

1960 Introduction of the Birth Control Pill.

1968 Hippies tell everyone to try their lifestyle. Sex with anyone. Drop acid (LSD). Don’t trust anyone over 30, which includes parents, priests, nuns and just about anyone in authority. Off the Pigs! (Kill the Police!)

1970s Hardcore porn becomes widely available through an explosion of Adult Bookstores across the country. Television gradually begins to introduce subjects that were forbidden in the 1950s and 1960s, like sex. But even Catholics didn’t think it was "that bad.’

1973 Abortion legalized.

The National Organization for Women drives a wedge between husbands and wives and all men and women. Feminist Gloria Steinem tells her sisters: “A woman needs a man llike a fish needs a bicycle.” Feminist Betty Friedan calls the family “a comfortable concentration camp.” Women are encouraged to think of themselves as victims or guaranteed future victims of the enemy - all men.

1980s Porn on cable in motels and hotels. No-Fault Divorce sweeps the country. No kids? $75 and you’re out. And it’s nobody’s fault.

More sexual situations on network TV. Sue Ellen on Dallas is shown drinking straight out of the bottle.

1990s Into the abyss. Profanity and Partial Nudity on network TV. So-called “shock jocks” appear on the radio to promote immorality. The internet appears and of course, it’s loaded with porn. You can’t tell a Christian from a non-Christian. Moms and dads are being pushed around by their kids.

2000s Comedy turns into anti-Christian, anti-morality talk-fests. Endless, graphic sex jokes. Mocking God and religious people.

So you see, this society has turned away from God big time. Church attendance dropped because people found it easier to not follow the rules. And besides, they saw that their neighbors’ lives were supposedly easier/more fun/ freer because God was on the back burner. Now you’ve got girls dressing like prostitutes right along with their moms.

Mr. Carlin is being a very bad example to potentially millions of people. He is a lapsed Catholic, and all of us Catholics should continue to care about him.

God bless,
Ed
Ed, you sure covered all the bases above. It appears you are happy in your life. Thats what its all about and thats what is most important!
 
Those people who blow people up are extremeists. You know that. Most Muslims pray 5 times a day for hours and are very dedicated to their faith. More then I can say about many catholics who call themselves religious and the few that even go to church and go for only 40 minutes 1 day a week. Many sit in church checking out the opposite sex or the new clothing some are wearing. Believe me its true. I use to watch people in church. I never followed the service much myself. Now I don’t go to church anymore but I am a good person. I know whats right and wrong and try to do right most of the time. Thats what really matters in life. I don’t belong to any group. . Not a catholic, muslim, jew, protestant, hindu etc person. I am a people person. Just like god said. God loves EVERYONE!
Whoa! I had not said a word about Muslims.:confused: I wasn’t even thinking Muslims or I would have said the word Muslims. I mentioned Pacifist because pacifist don’t believe in violence. I was saying the opposite of what a pacifist is. I was making a joke because you said that Catholic need to lighten up. It might not have been a funny joke, but you can hardly call it offensive.🤷

For goodness sake, you’re the one who thinks that Catholics should be able to accept jokes made against their faith but you get offended by even perceived jokes against other religions. So, it is all right to joke about Catholics but not other religions?(which I didn’t do anyway)
 
Ed, you sure covered all the bases above. It appears you are happy in your life. Thats what its all about and thats what is most important!
Happy? What do you mean? As the Bible states, it is the duty of man to do what God tells him to do. I’m not saying I’m not happy, but I am clearly told that the wages of sin is death. And that I need to do what I can to help others. “Man does not live by bread alone but by every word from God.”

The Catholic Church has as one of its goals that everyone should live in dignity. In the meantime, I know that faith without works is dead. There’s a lot to do.

God bless,
Ed
 
Cardinal Law from Boston was one of the worst. He was replaced with a new Cardinal. Law was ordered to Rome where the Pope appointed Cardinal Law to a new higher position in the church. UNBELIEVABLE.
.
Where did you get the idea that being the pastor of a parish in Rome is a higher position that being the Archbishop of a Major Diocese?

Because that is exactly what happened. He was declared the acting pastor of a single parish (St. Mary Major) in Rome; where he gets to handle such critically important tasks as determining when the parish is open for tours. :rolleyes: (he doesn’t even have the authority to set the admission charge) 😛

Yep, big step up on the Ecclesial ladder there.:rolleyes:
 
Where did you get the idea that being the pastor of a parish in Rome is a higher position that being the Archbishop of a Major Diocese?

Because that is exactly what happened. He was declared the acting pastor of a single parish (St. Mary Major) in Rome; where he gets to handle such critically important tasks as determining when the parish is open for tours. :rolleyes: (he doesn’t even have the authority to set the admission charge) 😛

Yep, big step up on the Ecclesial ladder there.:rolleyes:
Code:
 Former Cardinal Law shouldn't be in charge of anything, including being door man at the vatican.   He is a disgrace to the catholic church, and so are all the other church leaders who didn't follow the law of the land and report these FELONY CRIMES.  If Cardinal Law worked in the general workforce he would have been fired or arrested for obstructing justice.   The old double standard in the church.  Bring him to Rome the pope says,  we will protect him...UNBELIEVABLE!

 He lied, covered up and hid dozens of priests in  his diocese over a lot of years in order the church wouldn't have to be RESPONSIBLE for actions against them.  Can't blame the old catholic church, we never make mistakes, were the catholic church!   Former Cardinal Law is the tip of the iceburg of  sex abuse scandals in the worldwide catholic church.   The church is only dealing with this issue  becasue they got CAUGHT!.  No other reason.   

 George Carlin looks like a choir boy, compared to the HUGE scandal issue with the catholic church.   A few years ago who would have ever thought that any priest could ever sexually assault a minor.  We all know that a large number of catholic priests are gay (not that there is anything wrong with that) and now the church says no more gays in the seminary.  Does that mean all current gay catholic church officals are grandfathered on this issue?  I guess.   With thousands of lawsuits being paid and many more multiples pending, the church gets what it deserseves.   Who would think Bishops & Cardinals could lie or cover up the truth about anything.  I guess its time they confessed their sins..........to somebody.

 Also, thousands of so called good priests around the nation knew of priests in their diocese who had committed these crimes and they did nothing to report this to their bishop or authorities. Shame on them.   I am sure if you knew of a sexual preditor in your neighborhood you would do the right thing.   The catholic church didn't.   Again, they are dealing with this mess now NOT  because the catholic church came  forward, because of the brave young victims who have come forward.

 Too many catholics are fearful to ever question the church. I see it all the time.  Lets criticize guys like George Carlin.  He makes fun of the church, and catholics get all upset.  We make fun of Geroge Bush, Hillary Clinton, and thousands of others.  What do they do?  They laugh about it.   I can't believe so many catholics aren't outraged with this situation.  However, I do applaud the  catholics who did come forward and placarded and marched  and wrote letters of disgust against the church to show that these serious matters will never be tolerated again and justice prevail to all guilty parties involved.   If I ever knew of a priest or anyone molesting anybody  I would run to the nearest police station and press charges.  I am sure you would to.......RIGHT?
 
Former Cardinal Law shouldn’t be in charge of anything, including being door man at the vatican.
But that is not what I asked. You specifically said that it was a Higher position.

Here is your quote again

“Pope appointed Cardinal Law to a new higher position in the church”

How exactly did you come to that conclusion?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top