George Carlin is miserable

  • Thread starter Thread starter edwest2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does it matter? From the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks. Do you think a single person was not affected by his “act”?

I’m a writer and I need to be mindful of every word I write, fiction or non-fiction. There is a God in heaven to whom I will have to give an account at the final judgement. I think Mr. Carlin knew that.

But I would never use profanity or mocking God and the Church as part of my “act.”

Peace,
Ed
 
Well now he is deceased but what ever gave any of us the right to judge whether he was miserable or not? That is really judging the heart again which we cannot and never should do. Only God has that authority.
I don’t think saying whether or not someone is miserable or not is “judging the heart.”

Miserable is an emotion, and just like happiness, it’s clear to see if one has it. If you come to my house and I’m dancing and singing songs of joy about something, you can reasonably presume that I am happy. To say I’m happy about something is not judging my heart, it’s just making a statement about what is externally apparent about my emotional state at that point.

I know when I’m miserable, people can spot it a mile away.

Every response I have seen has had wonderful Christian charity.
 
What does it matter? From the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks. Do you think a single person was not affected by his “act”?

I’m a writer and I need to be mindful of every word I write, fiction or non-fiction. There is a God in heaven to whom I will have to give an account at the final judgement. I think Mr. Carlin knew that.

But I would never use profanity or mocking God and the Church as part of my “act.”

Peace,
Ed
That’s your choice. He made a different one. That doesn’t mean that we can know absolutely the condition of his soul.
 
That’s your choice. He made a different one. That doesn’t mean that we can know absolutely the condition of his soul.
No, of course we can’t and shouldn’t try to do so. We can see the fruit of his life, though. How many young people did he influence to write off the Church without really looking into it for themselves by his denigrating words and attitude? That’s hardly a legacy likely to please the Head of that Church, and I don’t mean the pope. 😦

As many of us have expressed here, we hope Mr. Carlin saw in the last intance of his life, when he still had a choice, how wrong he’d been and received the mercy and love of God–as we all hope to receive upon our deaths. No matter how great or small the sinner, we all need God’s mercy, grace and pardon–even famous people like George Carlin. 😉
 
That’s your choice. He made a different one. That doesn’t mean that we can know absolutely the condition of his soul.
No, we can only hope and pray he repented before death and sought out the sacraments.

You are correct that we can’t know absolutely, but as we say in NY, from where I’m sitting, it don’t look too good.

I hope I’m wrong.

God Bless
 
I don’t think saying whether or not someone is miserable or not is “judging the heart.”

Miserable is an emotion, and just like happiness, it’s clear to see if one has it. If you come to my house and I’m dancing and singing songs of joy about something, you can reasonably presume that I am happy. To say I’m happy about something is not judging my heart, it’s just making a statement about what is externally apparent about my emotional state at that point.

I know when I’m miserable, people can spot it a mile away.

Every response I have seen has had wonderful Christian charity.
He was a comedian. He was putting on a show. For all we know he may have been very happy his whole life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top