Well, what an interesting thread.
Well, I do what I can, though I must admit, I didnāt know I was going to be stirring the pot quite this much. But it would be boring if I didnāt every once in a while.
However, I do want to answer some of the points that others made.
1 *Am I arguing that Gen X and Y should not be held to the Churchās teachings on sexual purity?
*
NO! Truth is truth, no matter the condition of the world.
2 *The Baby Boomers also lived in a sexually saturated society. *
That is very true, and I apologize if my post seemed to deny that. However, I do think that there is an important difference in the fact that during the 60ās, the parents and adults still had the belief and expectation that their children would be virgins, or at least not live together before marriage. Today, the adults do not have such expectations for their children, hence giving their children condoms and taking them to get children to birth control pills. One of my coworkers last year told me that she hoped her son never marries a virgin, since she would invariably cheat on him later on in life. Free love was revolutionary in the 1960ās. In the modern world, the Churchās call to chastity is truly counter-revolutionary. Peter Kreeft argues that the sexual teachings of the church are attacked as none of her other teachings are today. While no one questions the idea of killing and stealing being bad, the world believes that the teachings of sexual purity are wrong, as well as downright impossible.
3
What is the solution, marrying young or living as the world does?
What is so terrible about marrying young? While the average age of marriage in the past was still in the early to mid-twenties, previous societies did not make it impossible for people in their early 20ās (or even late teens) to marry. Now, I am not arguing that EVERYONE should marry at that age. What I am doing is wondering why our society is making it very difficult for those who wish to marry young to do so. Our culture demands higher education, even from those who have no interest in it, and the college system is very unfriendly for young married people, especially those who might have children.
Frederica Matthews Green says it better than I can. "The average first marriage now involves a twenty-five-year-old bride and a twenty-seven-year-old groom. Iām intrigued by how patently unnatural that is. God designed our bodies to desire to mate much earlier, and through most of history cultures have accommodated that desire by enabling people to wed by their late teens or early twenties. People would postpone marriage till their late twenties only in cases of economic disaster or famine ā times when people had to save up in order to be able to marry.
Young people are not too immature to marry, unless we tell them they are. Fifty years ago, when the average bride was twenty, the divorce rate was half what it is now, because the culture encouraged and sustained marriage. But if we communicate to young people that we think theyāre naturally incapable of making a marriage work, they will surely meet our expectation. In fact, I have a theory that late marriage contributes to an increased divorce rate. During those lingering years of unmarried adulthood, young people may not be getting married, but theyāre still falling in love. They fall in love, and break up, and undergo terrible pain, but find that with time they get over it. This is true even if they remain chaste. By the time these young people marry, they may have had many opportunities to learn how to walk away from a promise. Theyāve been training for divorce.
Late marriage means fighting the design of our bodies, and thatās never a fight we can win. "
Once again, unlike her, Iām not arguing that everyone should marry young. But I am arguing that perhaps it is unwise of our culture to encourage everyone to delay marriage until their mid-20ās, and equally unwise for the Church to accept this as a wise decision.