Girl Scouts

  • Thread starter Thread starter Big_Feet
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big_Feet

Guest
Should I have my daughter join, or not?
How strong are the so-called “ties to Planned Parenthood” if at all?

Thanks!
 
I would not factor that into the decision if it does not affect the girls directly, but that is just my approach. I know that a lot of young women get a lot out of Girl Scouts. I was a Boy Scout despite the BSA’s policies on gay and atheist Scouts (policies that I wish did not exist) and got a lot out of it. If the problematic areas/evils can be contained and there is much good elsewhere, I would be open to the possibility. If the girls are actively working to promote PP, PP members come and speak, etc., I would view it differently.
 
ahgonline.org/
Someone just told me about this group… I dont know much about it, but just about anything is better then the messages the Girl scouts send regarding chastity (at the national level).

Best of luck!!
God Bless
 
The issue with Obamacare has gotten me a bit defensive when it comes to any & all abortion/contraception issues. One result of that is that we decided not to purchase any GS cookies this year, and only allowed our girls to sell to a couple people who insisted on buying from them. We’re looking at our options for next year (there’s at least one American Heritage Girls troop nearby), but I doubt we’ll have them continue in Girl Scouts.
 
Should I have my daughter join, or not?
How strong are the so-called “ties to Planned Parenthood” if at all?

Thanks!
They are very strong at GSUSA. Your state maybe yes or no (I think that they all have letters denying any association). Your troop maybe yes or no.

Materials are produced by GSUSA that you may not approve of. Money from your troop will support them too. When meeting with other troops, they may not have the same moral leadership yours does. If you have American Heritage Girls in your area, they are a much better and safe alternative. Since you have not yet joined you haven’t made an emotional (friends, badges, etc.) investment in GSUSA yet.

Facing Life Head-On did a good piece on the Girl Scouts.

Here is a piece with Bishop James D. Conley’s (Auxiliary in Denver) comments.

Here is a piece on what one parish recently did.

Here is a piece from the Catholic News Agency.

Here is a piece from the Ethics and Public Policy Center.

FWIW, my own piece was: Loss of innocence
 
ahgonline.org/
Someone just told me about this group… I dont know much about it, but just about anything is better then the messages the Girl scouts send regarding chastity (at the national level).

Best of luck!!
God Bless
I was going to suggest American Hertiage as well. Our local chapter of the KoC has agreed to sponsor a chapter, and we’re waiting on the paperwork to go through so there’s a new charter soon. I hope to have my girls join and participate as long was they are interested. 🙂
 
I was in Girl Scout all the way from elementary to high school, and sex and contraceptives were never ever discussed. My troop leaders were a married Catholic couple, and I know lots of conservative Christians that are involved in Girl Scouts, and Planned Parenthood isn’t anywhere on the radar.

I loved Girl Scouts, and I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to make friends and try such a large assortment of activities through this organization. To this day, I owe my love of camping, canoeing, sailing to Girl Scouts. 🙂
 
Former girl scout here as well our troop didn’t talk or do anything related to sexuality or puberty or anything planned parenthood related. We mostly did arts and crafts and took field trips to places like the pumpkin patch and would sometimes get together for a combined event with the girl scout troops younger than us. I enjoyed it and have many fond memories of my troop. We would meet every week in the basement of the local Presbyterian church.
 
The ties to PP and other radical feminist groups are strong and monetary at the top. The ties vary widely at the loca level. If you have a Catholic alternative, I suggest taking it.

If you decide on Scouts, try starting a Catholic scouts group through your parish and become a volunteer. Be VIGILANT regarding what badges you work on, what materials they receive, etc.

Girl Scouts has become quite the progressive, feminist mouthpiece and there are MANY badges that either overtly or subtley subvert Catholic beilefs and values. While you don’t have to do those badges, you have to watch like a hawk lest your kids get exposed to that stuff.

My biggest objection is the cookie pushing. And where the money goes. Follow the money.
 
I find this whole issue very confusing. Clearly, the girl scouts have posted on their website that they don’t work with PP. If they did believe that PP had important value for young girls, wouldn’t they be shouting it from the rooftops? It seems to me that my parish school has a girl scout troop at every grade level and I know several Catholic women who are leaders of troops. Certainly they don’t participate in stuff like that! I would hate to be giving money to anyone who supports PP, but I just find this accusation hard to believe. It’s really difficult to have a meaningful partnership with an organization while declaring publicly that you have nothing to do with them.
 
cnsnews.com/news/article/pelosi-girl-scouts-relationship-planned-parenthood-very-valuable

Nancy pelosi seems to disagree. PP relationship is very important to GS
Not true. The reporter asserted that GSUSA has a relationship with Planned Parenthood. Pelosi just said GSUSA’s relationships with “many organizations” are all very valuable.

From the article:
After the event CNSNews.com asked Pelosi: “The Girl Scouts has had some ties to Planned Parenthood, do you think that’s a valuable relationship to have working together?”
“The Girl Scouts have relationships with many organizations,” Rep. Pelosi replied.
“And, yes, I think they are all very valuable.”
She was just giving the politician’s standard hey-I-think-organizations-who-support-our-youths-are-great non-answer answer.

The reporter – whose article was blatantly one-sided (she didn’t even check with the Girl Scouts to see what they have to say about it) and (when you check the tone of the article) clearly biased – fed a conclusion to Pelosi, did not get the answer she hoped for, but wrote the story as if she had anyway.
 
My oldest did GS for a while, but we stopped. If you check out their list of speakers at the GSUSA National Convention, you will find that there were many that should give you pause. Here is a link to info about them: honestgirlscouts.com/discover_2011natlconv.html This website was started by Girl Scouts who were upset with what is happening. They want the truth to get out about what is really happening. Good luck with discerning what direction to take.
 
girlscouts.org/program/gs_cookies/cookie_faqs.asp#money_where

Q
: When I buy Girl Scout Cookies, where does the money go?
A: With every purchase, approximately 70% of the proceeds stays in the local Girl Scout council to provide a portion of the resources needed to support Girl Scouting in that area, including the portion that goes directly to the group selling the cookies. The balance goes directly to the baker to pay for the cookies.
Return to Top
Q: How does the cookie revenue benefit girls?
A: All of the revenue earned from cookie activities —every penny after paying the baker—stays with the local Girl Scout council that sponsors the sale. This includes the portion that goes directly to the group selling cookies. Councils use their cookie revenue to supply essential services to troops, groups, and individual girls, such as providing program resources and communication support, training adult volunteers, and conducting special events. The Girl Scout council’s volunteer board of directors:
•Chooses the baker
•Determines the price per box
•Decides how this revenue will be used to provide vital services—such as adult recruitment and training and operation of camps and service centers—and other indirect expenses
•Decides how much money will be returned to groups selling cookies for their projects and activities
My DH is a Knight, along with another Knight, our DD’s both are in the same Brownie troop. Through our parish. I can’t imagine that the Pastor is not capable of finding all this information on the Scouts and allows it.

Perhaps some local councils are more liberal. My local council does not seem problematic at all.
 
I keep reading that this link to PP is only a smear campaign that keeps getting spread and spread…
Please read these…
a recent Washington Post column…and also, a reputable Catholic Youth Ministry site, that has researched and found the rumors to be untruthful. And yet, innocent young girls are being punished because people keep spreading of these non-truths. Not fair to them.

washingtonpost.com/local/…d=pm_local_pop

nccgscf.org/faqs/index.htm
The link for the Washington Post is incomplete, but I wouldn’t believe their reporting to be unbiased. As to the NCCGSCF, this link should help.

The fact is, there is no reason in the world to attack the Girl Scouts other than the truth. Attacking them is like attacking America and apple pie. My daughter was a GS. But the truth remains and is irrefutably, and well, documented. See my earlier comments in #5 for links.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top