God and the argument from contingency

• Thread starter Thread starter quaestio45
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re conflating the conscious mind’s thoughts
Your thoughts are the activity of your mind. It is your mind thinking. Your mind is changing from one potential state to another. It’s self-evident.

If your mind was necessary you would not experience any change at all; it wouldn’t have any potential states.

Last edited:
Your thoughts are the activity of your mind. It is your mind thinking. Your mind is changing from one potential state to another. It’s self-evident.
Again, don’t conflate the “mind” with the consciousness that underpins and sustains it. There are aspects of the mind…thoughts and experiences that could be different, that don’t exist in and of thenselves…they’re contingent, but consciousness itself isn’t.

Again, don’t conflate the “ mind ” with the consciousness that underpins and sustains it.
You’re free to argue with what is self-evident if you wish, but a necessary existence does not have potential states and a necessary mind does not experience change.

Last edited:
You’re free to argue with what is self-evident if you wish, but a necessary existence does not have potential states and a necessary mind does not experience change.
God creates and sustains reality…reality changes…God doesn’t.
Consciousness creates and sustains reality…reality changes…consciousness doesn’t.

Show me the difference.

God creates and sustains reality…reality changes…God doesn’t.
There is an absolute distinction between the natures that God creates and the reality that is God. That’s why it’s possible for created natures to change and not God because created natures are not God. They are not a changing part of God.

Last edited:
That’s why it’s possible for created natures to change and not God because created natures are not God.
Yes, reality changes, I admit that. But what I’m arguing is that the consciousness that underpins that reality doesn’t change…ever. But you keep trying to equate the changes in reality to changes in consciousness itself, which is where we disagree.

You have two things…God and the reality that He creates. But to you changes in one don’t equate to changes in the other.

I’m saying the exact same thing. I have two things…consciousness and the reality that it creates. And changes in one don’t equate to changes in the other.

You keep conflating changes in the created thing…reality…to changes in the creator. I’m saying that this isn’t true regardless of whether the creator is God or consciousness.

But what I’m arguing is that the consciousness that underpins that reality doesn’t change…ever.
You are not distinct from your consciousness. It self-evidently changes from one potential state to another. You experience change.

You are not distinct from your consciousness.
In a hierarchical series which one comes first? If one comes first then in some sense at least, they’re distinct, even if they constitute one thing. Consider the trinity for example.

You are identical to your consciousness.
But it’s consciousness that makes everything else possible. Therefore in a hierarchical series it’s consciousness that comes first. And if it comes first then it must be distinct from everything else, even if it’s inseparable from everything else.

Last edited:
But it’s consciousness that makes everything else possible.
Your consciousness changes from one potential state to another. Your consciousness is not distinct from what it’s doing like thinking.

Last edited:
You’re conflating the conscious mind’s thoughts and experiences with consciousness itself.
Thoughts are the product of the mind, we may agree, correct? And we may have several distinct thoughts, yes? Now, if a given cause of an effect is constant in all qualities then there can only be two explanations for the difference in effect derived from such mind. Either the surrounding conditions changed or the the effects are random. If its the first, then we cannot be referring to a mind, for one, because a mind is said to have the power of agency over what occurs in the realm of mental phenomena, but if all thoughts are different because of surrounding conditions and not because of any difference in position by the mind then there cannot be any agency in said mind, which contradicts the idea of mind. Further, to say that the change in effect is due to a difference in surrounding conditions rather than the cause, the solipsist would be making an admittance to the idea of surrounding condition in their defense of the individuals mind being noncontingent, which would, of course, contradict their initial position. As such, this compromise cannot be made by the solopsist.

If the effect is different due to a random nature, then it too reaches the same conclusion as the first alternative, that being the agency of the mind is robbed.

Given this, we must say that the mind can change in order to explain the difference in thoughts as well as preserve the agency of the given entity.

Last edited:
Your consciousness is not distinct from what it’s doing like thinking.
No, this is necessarily not true because you can distinguish between the thought and the thinker. Further, we can and do identify the cause of a thought as different then the thought itself (my mind is not the thought “I like burgers” and neither is the thought “I like burgers” me, for that thought is a necessary statement of a subject, to whicha thought cannot be). Finally, a thought is fundamentally a form, but forms cannot change, only the thing holding form can change, therefore, to go from thought to thought requires a distinction between the thinker and thought.

Last edited:
40.png
Wesrock:
And me not real so why are you arguing with me?
Entertainment
Your thoughts change, they move from concept to concept, your perceptions change, your experience is in motion. All of which necessarily entails that you and I are contingent beings.
Ah, but within this constantly changing setting there’s one constant…me. The fact that those things are contingent doesn’t by default mean that I too am contingent.
So your thoughts and experiences and perception and sense of self are not part of you at all? But something else entirely?

So your thoughts and experiences and perception and sense of self are not part of you at all? But something else entirely?
They are very much a part of me. But I might argue that these things are a part of me in the same way that Jesus is a part of the Father.

Does the fact that Christ experienced change disprove the claim that He was God?

Your consciousness changes from one potential state to another. Your consciousness is not distinct from what it’s doing like thinking.
I’ll ask you the same thing that I asked Wesrock, does the fact that Christ experienced change disprove the claim that He was God?

Yes, your thought is made by your mind therefore they are different. Your mind is a substance with ability to experience for example.

Yes, your thought is made by your mind therefore they are different. Your mind is a substance with ability to experience for example.
I would put it a bit differently.

Consciousness is noncontingent. Consciousness is the hierarchical first cause. And consciousness is the necessary cause.

The relationship between my consciousness and my thoughts, experiences, and perceptions is the same as the relationship between the Father and the Son. In both cases the two things are distinct, yet inseparable. And a change in the latter doesn’t constitute a change in the former.

I would put it a bit differently.

Consciousness is noncontingent. Consciousness is the hierarchical first cause. And consciousness is the necessary cause.
Sounds very similar to what STT thinks if I’m not mistaken 😂😂. You should take a look at the thread Free agent is not contingent, we spar on this subject quite a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back