S
spockrates
Guest
Yes, there is something wrong, but not with God. I used to be an Evangelical. One idea that I could not understand was the idea that after death there is only Heaven or Hell and nothing else. Try as I might, I could not comprehend how it could be just. Catholics, on the other hand, have a third option: Purgatory–a place where one can pay her dues to eternal society and become rehabilitated before being released to heaven. That idea makes it easier to see how God is both just and loving.You raise some very valid points. It seems unloving to me. One has to remember that the proposition is that god sets up all the rules. Therefore it is by his choice that anyone who does not get in to heaven is punished for eternity. There are many things wrong with this situation.
For example it would be far more reasonable to give good people who have no interest in entering heaven the choice to reject heaven but not be sent to hell. Also an infinite punishment for no, or a finite crime, is utterly immoral. It seems more like a system set up for blackmail than anything else… Love me OR ELSE!