Going to a Protestant service to Proselytize

  • Thread starter Thread starter jesusalright4me
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have also included you in the thread: “Let us give thanks to the Lord our God. It’s right and just”. Something for me to be grateful of. 😇
 
St Bede and Niblo: What you two are doing is a beautiful thing!! Thank you for doing it!!

As I once read a Saint teach: “ Always preach and sometimes, use words. “
 
Aright, I just want to clear up some misconceptions.
  1. I would not be proselytizing at the service itself. That would be massively imprudent. We would hang out afterwards, and that is when the debate would go down.
  2. We are friends from college, and have many mutual friends.
  3. I don’t see anything wrong with trying to proselytize. Or, in other words, having a heated debate, while yet keeping it charitable. There is a false dichotomy made these days between preaching the Gospel by word and preaching it by action. I would contend both are necessary.
  4. He did indeed invite me to his service. I think I will turn him down, explaining that for various reasons I don’t go to Protestant services unless it is something like a funeral. I will conclude with asking if we could meet on more neutral ground to converse.
Just brainstorming here, perhaps I will ask if he’d like to do a work of mercy with me, and we could chat before, during, and after it. Like going on a street walk to encounter the homeless.
 
Last edited:
It would be rude attend a Protestant (or any other belief’s) service in order to proselytize.

Suggest your friend make an appointment with the Catholic Priest near him.

Maybe watch the “Common Ground” video together (on Amazon Prime).
 
Yeah! Cos’ I remember a story about him telling his disciples that they’re going to preach on the street. Upon coming back, his disciples asked why didn’t he utter a single word? To which he replied: We have already preached through our actions.
 
Last edited:
To me as well. Apart from the issue of evangelizing, I would be a bit cautious about meeting someone who you don’t really know except on FB, especially if you are a minor.
 
Last edited:
Don’t worry! I am an adult, and we are friends on Facebook because we are friends in real life from our college days!
 
Guess what, Bro?! I’ve created a new thread called "Let’s pray for each other ", and you’re included there. Cheers!
 
Hello, Mike! I’ve included you and your wife in the latest thread I created called "Let’s pray for each other ". Go check it out!
 
I would not be proselytizing at the service itself. That would be massively imprudent. We would hang out afterwards, and that is when the debate would go down.
I dont think this is prudent. Ive actually seen this once by an anti-catholic woman who would wait outside of my parish to engage and attempt to debate Catholics as we were coming out of my parish. Her approach was horrible. The parish mass that was finishing was considered a children’s mass, filled with families with children coming out of the parish. Noone wanted to engage her, you can imagine just coming out of mass with children, and exposing children to anticatholic drivel led many to avoid her. It did not instigate conversation or debate.

I would assume that protestant families with children would also have the same reaction to you proselytizing them in front of their children after their worship services
 
I’m always surprised that Roman Catholics want to convert a person of a different denomination. example AOG. Pentecostal Baptist etc . to convert them. Because these denominations are Catholics. If they are followers of Jesus . baptised etc…as saint paul saidto the Galatians. Who deceived you in believing you need all these new rules
 
I go with my parents as I consider honoring my parents in that way important. And some day I might even stop with that. In particular if I ever have kids.

Other than that and family weddings I don’t think I would attend a Protestant service. Not to mention that “going to proselytize” seems disrespectful in the first place.
 
But I did get up during the time the pastor set aside to share memories of my sister, and I shared what I felt was an appropriate Bible verse.
When my sister in law died young of cancer several years ago, I was asked to give the blessing/offer grace/whatever they called it ate the lunch afterwards.

I mentioned to the gal standing next to me that it was a bit odd for Catholic me to be offering this at a Methodist church for a Baptist’s funeral. She responded, “Don’t look at me–I’m Mormon!” :crazy_face:😱🤣
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top