J
jesusalright4me
Guest
Hey guys! So I have a very Protestant friend. He is definitely not mainline Protestant. He goes to an ecclessial community which has the type of service where someone stands in front and plays Christian music. They have some sort of “Lord’s Supper”, but I think it is all pretty casual. He definitely does not take Jesus at His word concerning the Eucharist (he thinks it is only a symbol).
We recently got in a Facebook debate, and it ended with him inviting me to his city to continue the debate. Based on how he has interacted with other friends of mine, I know he will probably invite to his Sunday service.
My question is, would it be acceptable to go in order to prostelitize? Traditionally in Catholic teaching, we are only supposed to attend a Protestant service for a grave reason (this sort of thought is very prevelant in older, pre-1960s examine of consciences). Would this be a grave reason? On the other hand, Scripture states that Paul would go to the Temple to tell others about Christ Jesus.
Of course, if he invited me and I decide that I would go, I would counter his offer with inviting him to a mass (either a really traditional Novus Ordo, an Anglican Ordinariate, Divine Liturgy, or a TLM, all four of which happen to be in this city thankfully. Only want to show him the best of our worship).
Perhaps to play it safe, I will just ask if we could meet on a Saturday. What are your guy’s thoughts?
We recently got in a Facebook debate, and it ended with him inviting me to his city to continue the debate. Based on how he has interacted with other friends of mine, I know he will probably invite to his Sunday service.
My question is, would it be acceptable to go in order to prostelitize? Traditionally in Catholic teaching, we are only supposed to attend a Protestant service for a grave reason (this sort of thought is very prevelant in older, pre-1960s examine of consciences). Would this be a grave reason? On the other hand, Scripture states that Paul would go to the Temple to tell others about Christ Jesus.
Of course, if he invited me and I decide that I would go, I would counter his offer with inviting him to a mass (either a really traditional Novus Ordo, an Anglican Ordinariate, Divine Liturgy, or a TLM, all four of which happen to be in this city thankfully. Only want to show him the best of our worship).
Perhaps to play it safe, I will just ask if we could meet on a Saturday. What are your guy’s thoughts?
Last edited: