Going to communion within one hour of eating

• Thread starter Thread starter Polak
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The apostles have been given the power to bind and loose.
Yes that makes sense, although I do still find it weird that somebody before would be sinning for doing something somebody now can do and it isn’t a sin.
I am sure you heard all about it when the length of the Eucharistic fast was made one hour.
No I didn’t actually. When did it take place? Was it during or shortly after Vatican II? If so, that would have been before my time.
It’s because it is probably the disobedience - the failure to adhere to a discipline legitimately imposed by Church authorities - that really is the sin, and not so much that a particular length of time matters or doesn’t matter.
So the sin is being disobedient to bishops, yes that makes some sense, because it would seem odd that taking communion 58 minutes after eating is unacceptable, but taking it one hour after is fine.

Yes that makes sense, although I do still find it weird that somebody before would be sinning for doing something somebody now can do and it isn’t a sin.
This is how a priest explained it:

Say you drive down this country road where the speed limit is 40 miles per hour. You don’t think there’s any reason why you can’t drive faster, so you speed up to 55, and you get a ticket. Perfectly justified, you broke the law (rules).

But then a week later, the speed limit on that road is changed to 55 miles per hour. Now you can drive 55 and not be ticketed for it, but does that mean you shouldn’t have to pay the fine for driving 55 the week before? No, because the rule (law) AT THAT TIME was 40 miles per hour, and you broke that rule deliberately.

It’s very simplified, but made perfect sense to me. He also went on to explain that sometimes the rules are changed for reasons that aren’t clear, but we are still bound to follow them and be assured that they are changed for our own good. It’s like driving down a road where the speed limit has always been 60, then seeing a new sign that drops the speed limit to 45. Why the change? Could be an accident ahead, could be there’s an event that will be impeding traffic, could be that the authorities realized that 60 was too fast for that road. So, too, does the church change certain disciplines as she sees fit, but can never change doctrine or dogma.

No I didn’t actually. When did it take place? Was it during or shortly after Vatican II? If so, that would have been before my time.
No priest or parish or catechist ever put the word out to you that the Communion Fast is one hour? What transpired when you were preparing to receive your First Holy Communion? Your church bulletin never printed a reminder about it?

Call me weird, it just seems like awareness campaigns regularly touch on this kind of thing. Especially during Lent, my parish always prints a summary of the fasting and abstinence rules. Nobody can plead ignorance.

you cannot take Communion, this hour doesnt mean to be exactly, it just means, dont eat, i suggest you go one hour before The Eucharist starts, so you can prepare yourself, wear modest clothing and prepare for the great miracle

1. You are required to observe the hour fast. If you have eaten before that fast you just simply refrain from receiving.
  2. Communion should not be taking place “earlier in the mass than usual”. Perhaps you just meant, the mass was quicker than you anticipated. Either way. The remedy was simple. Refrain. But if you didn’t then you should mention it at confession.

Pope Saint Paul VI instituted the 1-hour Communion fast in 1964. Prior to that, Pius XII established it as a 3-hour fast. This article has a good history of the changes.

It’s because it is probably the disobedience - the failure to adhere to a discipline legitimately imposed by Church authorities - that really is the sin, and not so much that a particular length of time matters or doesn’t matter.
This^^^^^^^.

I once had a man in RCIA class ask, “Is God really going to mind if I eat a ham sandwich on Friday during Lent?”

I responded that it’s not the act of eating the ham sandwich - by itself, that’s no worse than morally neutral - but it’s the disobedience where the sin comes in.

I responded that it’s not the act of eating the ham sandwich - by itself, that’s no worse than morally neutral - but it’s the disobedience where the sin comes in.
And the failure to observe penance, which is a precept of the Church and Divine Law.

No priest or parish or catechist ever put the word out to you that the Communion Fast is one hour?
I think you misunderstood what I was saying Anesti.
I am sure you heard all about it when the length of the Eucharistic fast was made one hour.
I thought you were saying you were sure I heard when the change was made from three hours to one hour (at the time it happened), and actually, I don’t know when that change took place. I am aware we are not supposed to consume food within one hour prior to taking the Eucharist, and I was just checking if it was a sin if break this rule.
Communion should not be taking place “earlier in the mass than usual”. Perhaps you just meant, the mass was quicker than you anticipated.
Yes this is what I meant.

It might be a venial sin, although if you were unaware it would not count as one.

However, I think it is far more important to make sure we go to communion without any mortal sin, we cannot fool God.

Secondly, try to prepare the best you can prior to communion, by being inspired to love our Lord to the best of our ability in everything we do, speak, think and do.

It is however something that the Church instituted to show the respect due to our Lord.

It is not altogether clear from official sources that the Eucharistic fast binds gravely, but from this examination of conscience, which concerns only grave matter, I think it is prudent to conclude that violating the Eucharistic fast is indeed grave matter, which is 1 of 3 conditions to be met for a sin to be mortal.

40.png
Polak:
But if it’s a discipline of the Church does that make it a sin if you break it?
Yes. If you knowingly break it on purpose, it’s a sin.

If you break it by accident, it’s not.
I remember when I was new to the faith I received one time after drinking coffee on the way to weekday Mass and then realized afterwards that I didn’t observe the fast. It’s something I mentioned in Confession because forgetfulness can also happen from not taking something seriously as one should, in my opinion, and I didn’t want it to become a re-occurring thing.

Last edited:
The sin is disobedience. Christ said to the apostles “whatsoever you bind on earth is bound in heaven…”

The sin is disobedience. Christ said to the apostles “whatsoever you bind on earth is bound in heaven…”
And the failure to observe penance, which is a precept of the Church and Divine Law.

All sin is disobedience. Adam and Eve’s sin was disobedience, but there was a particular character to it. (Imagine if he said “Don’t eat that there fruit until tomorrow! Or else!”)

Last edited:
You should always go to Mass and you don’t have to take Communion to fulfill your obligation. But if you ate just beforehand, don’t actually take communion

I think to be sure of the gravity of something, check with your local parish priest or spiritual director.

40.png
Polak:
minutes before an hour had passed.

Is this is a sin and also if so, would it still be a sin if I wasn’t completely sure it was a sin when I went?
Well the answer is did you receive Grace ?
Can you tell when you receive gods Grace?
It seems all you got was confusion.
And confusion is anti christ

God dosent really watch the clock.
Well, God is eternal, so “clock” has no meaning in relation to God.
Human beings, by contrast, live in time and space and in community with one another. We do our best to devote our human condition to God, for the good of all.

So time matters for human beings. Food matters. Discipline matters. Obedience is of prime importance, as demonstrated by Christ who although the Son of God, conformed his humanity to God’s will. We should do the same under the guidance of the Church.
To the best of our ability. (after all, morality is not about minimalist observation of the rules…observing discipline helps lead to beatitude)

Last edited:
I am aware I don’t have to go to communion during mass, for those telling me. Having said that, if one is able to go and chooses not to go, is that a sin?

I just wanted to go to communion because I only get to go to mass once per week so figured it would be a shame not to go. Also, it was very close to one hour passning, so I went, because I wasn’t sure if it was a sin to go. I figured it probably wasn’t, so I went. If I had thought it probably was, I wouldn’t have gone.

Having said that, if one is able to go and chooses not to go, is that a sin?
No. Catholics must receive Communion only once per year, during the Easter season (exact specifics may vary depending on what country you’re in).

Until Pius X encouraged frequent, even daily, Communion more than a century ago many Catholics received only a handful of times per year.

Okay, because there are priests who strongly, and I mean very strongly, encourage parishioners to go to communion and basically say, if you’re going to church week in week out and never in the communion line, something is wrong. You should be taking the bread of life as often as possible, and the communion is the centrepiece of the mass.

But still, once per year is fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back