Going to communion within one hour of eating

• Thread starter Thread starter Polak
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having said that, if one is able to go and chooses not to go, is that a sin?
Not going to Communion is not a sin in and of itself, as Glennon_P said.

Any sin would be in your motivation for not going.

Examples of motivations that are “not a sin”:
  • You became nauseated during the Mass and didn’t want to receive for fear you would get sick to your stomach and gag or vomit after receiving.
  • You physically couldn’t get to the Communion station (I have seen this in action at very crowded Masses)
  • You felt unworthy to receive because you had just had a big argument with your neighbor the day before and you feel you should go make peace with them before receiving Our Lord.
  • Your child needed the restroom or a diaper change right at Communion time, so you went and took care of business rather than receiving.
  • You’re afraid of catching COVID from the distribution of Communion.
Examples of motivations that could be sinful:
  • You don’t trust the absolution you got from your priest and don’t think you’re worthy to receive.
  • You don’t think it’s important to receive Jesus, or don’t believe in the Real Presence.
  • You disagree with the Church-approved norms for distributing Communion, so you’re protesting by refusing to receive.

Last edited:
What if there is no real motivation and you just don’t feel like getting up and going in to the communion line?

What if there is no real motivation and you just don’t feel like getting up and going in to the communion line?
I think then you’d want to ask yourself why you’re not motivated to get off your butt briefly to receive Christ. It sounds like a symptom of a deeper issue.

I think a Catholic who just “didn’t feel” like receiving Jesus, unless he was feeling too unwell to stand in line, really needs to think about their faith and why they are a Catholic and why we go to Mass. It’s like rejecting a very great gift.

I think a Catholic who just “didn’t feel” like receiving Jesus, unless he was feeling too unwell to stand in line, really needs to think about their faith and why they are a Catholic and why we go to Mass. It’s like rejecting a very great gift.
Of course, I agree, but would that count as a ‘motivation that could be sinful’?

Think of it like this:

When I was a kid, my parents set my bedtime at 9 PM.

When I was older, it was made 10 PM.

When there were events for our family to attend, bedtime was after we finished the event, had supper, changed clothes, that might be 1 AM. This did not mean that I could break the house rules on other nights.

When I was 15 I had a curfew of 9 PM.

When I was 17 my curfew was 11 PM and I could go to bed whenever I wanted.

Disciplines can change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back