P
PJD1987
Guest
I was always told that Iconography in the Catholic Church is not idol-worship because we use it as meditation and to bring us closer to the Lord, not worshiping the statute or whatnot itself. However, in Bible Study today, one girl pointed out a note in the NAB on Exodus 32:5 which reads,
“The calf…a feast of the Lord: from this it is clear that the golden calf was intended as an image, not of a false god, but of the Lord Himself, His strength being symbolized by the strength of a young bull. The Israelites, however, had been forbidden to represent the Lord under any visible form. Cf Ex 20,4”
I had always thought they were worshiping the calf itself and therefore constituted false worship and idolatry. However, it’s clear from this note that the calf was a representation of the Lord. They were in the wrong for doing it, even though they were worshiping the Lord. How does this differ from Catholic icons?
I mean, I know that parts of the Mosaic Law no longer apply to us because of the New Covenant Jesus established, maybe I answered my own question in that, but I feel like there’s got to be a more in depth answer than just that which can be used to defend any number of Christian practices. I’m interested to see any thoughts on the subject that might take it a step further than simply, “the Mosaic Law no longer applies”.
Thank you in advance! God Bless!
-PJD1987
“The calf…a feast of the Lord: from this it is clear that the golden calf was intended as an image, not of a false god, but of the Lord Himself, His strength being symbolized by the strength of a young bull. The Israelites, however, had been forbidden to represent the Lord under any visible form. Cf Ex 20,4”
I had always thought they were worshiping the calf itself and therefore constituted false worship and idolatry. However, it’s clear from this note that the calf was a representation of the Lord. They were in the wrong for doing it, even though they were worshiping the Lord. How does this differ from Catholic icons?
I mean, I know that parts of the Mosaic Law no longer apply to us because of the New Covenant Jesus established, maybe I answered my own question in that, but I feel like there’s got to be a more in depth answer than just that which can be used to defend any number of Christian practices. I’m interested to see any thoughts on the subject that might take it a step further than simply, “the Mosaic Law no longer applies”.
Thank you in advance! God Bless!
-PJD1987