GOP: Gay marriage an issue, but not like economy

  • Thread starter Thread starter rlg94086
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rlg94086

Guest
Republicans say they’ll now use President Obama’s stance on the issue – public opinion is about evenly split – to paint him as a flip-flopper and to boost Mitt Romney’s image in the eyes of conservatives who are still warming to him.

Across the Republican Party, from leaders to activists interviewed since Obama’s announcement, there’s been wide agreement to use the gay marriage issue selectively. They want to use it in battleground states that have banned gay marriage, for example, while keeping the party’s national political focus on Obama’s stewardship of the economy.

“I’m going to stay focused on jobs, thanks,” House Speaker John Boehner, a Republican, said repeatedly when asked about Obama’s announcement on gay marriage. “The president can talk about it all he wants. I’m going to stay focused on what the American people want us to stay focused on.”

Romney is taking a similar approach, avoiding any discussion of the issue unless he’s questioned about it and focusing on the economy.

Read more: foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/12/gop-gay-marriage-issue-but-not-like-economy/#ixzz1ufZ5SYPd
 
I disagree that the flipflopper picture would work, most people already saw him as soft on gay issues. I think the dem tactic is to paint republicans as racist homophobes and take light away from the lousy economy and obama’s extreme leftist stance on a multitude of issues.
 
I disagree that the flipflopper picture would work, most people already saw him as soft on gay issues. I think the dem tactic is to paint republicans as racist homophobes and take light away from the lousy economy and obama’s extreme leftist stance on a multitude of issues.
Yes and no. There are some Democrats and Independents who oppose gay “marriage” and we’re assuaged by Obama’s statements that he was against gay “marriage.” For those voters, he has flipped on the issue.

Btw…for those with FoxNewsophobia, here is a link to the original article:
hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GAY_MARRIAGE_CONSERVATIVES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-05-12-03-51-31
 
I think the gay ‘marriage’ support from Obama will be a winner with the far left, especially in Hollywood, but not with most other people. I think he said it now out of desperation to try and garner some of the intense support among the left in 2008 but has dissipated to a large degree. All these Hollywood fundraisers, Obama taking cash straight from the ‘1%’ which is really hypocritical considering his remarks about the ‘1%.’ Obama looks very elitist and out of touch with mainstream America.

Gay ‘marriage’ is a distraction from a terrible jobs report from April. The 2012 Obama campaign will be nothing but distraction to take away from the economy.
 
I think the gay ‘marriage’ support from Obama will be a winner with the far left, especially in Hollywood, but not with most other people. I think he said it now out of desperation to try and garner some of the intense support among the left in 2008 but has dissipated to a large degree. All these Hollywood fundraisers, Obama taking cash straight from the ‘1%’ which is really hypocritical considering his remarks about the ‘1%.’ Obama looks very elitist and out of touch with mainstream America.

Gay ‘marriage’ is a distraction from a terrible jobs report from April. The 2012 Obama campaign will be nothing but distraction to take away from the economy.
I agree. That’s why the GOP will try to keep focus on the economy. In another news report, though, Santorum is recommending Romney pummel Obama on the gay “marriage” issue. My guess is he’ll take a balanced approach. Today, he spoke at an evangelical university and focused on the importance of family, including marriage. Obama may have inadvertently helped Romney reach out to the social conservatives a little more.
 
I think the gay ‘marriage’ support from Obama will be a winner with the far left, especially in Hollywood, but not with most other people. I think he said it now out of desperation to try and garner some of the intense support among the left in 2008 but has dissipated to a large degree. All these Hollywood fundraisers, Obama taking cash straight from the ‘1%’ which is really hypocritical considering his remarks about the ‘1%.’ Obama looks very elitist and out of touch with mainstream America.

Gay ‘marriage’ is a distraction from a terrible jobs report from April. The 2012 Obama campaign will be nothing but distraction to take away from the economy.
Problem is, Hollywood and the mainstream media outlets have sway over how most Americans view the world. This is the mostly the case with many American youth today. Even the Occupy movements would be fooled.
 
I disagree that the flipflopper picture would work, most people already saw him as soft on gay issues. I think the dem tactic is to paint republicans as racist homophobes and take light away from the lousy economy and obama’s extreme leftist stance on a multitude of issues.
Don’t forget that Republicans hate kittens, too. 😛
 
Republicans say they’ll now use President Obama’s stance on the issue – public opinion is about evenly split – to paint him as a flip-flopper and to boost Mitt Romney’s image in the eyes of conservatives who are still warming to him.

Across the Republican Party, from leaders to activists interviewed since Obama’s announcement, there’s been wide agreement to use the gay marriage issue selectively. They want to use it in battleground states that have banned gay marriage, for example, while keeping the party’s national political focus on Obama’s stewardship of the economy.

“I’m going to stay focused on jobs, thanks,” House Speaker John Boehner, a Republican, said repeatedly when asked about Obama’s announcement on gay marriage. “The president can talk about it all he wants. I’m going to stay focused on what the American people want us to stay focused on.”

Romney is taking a similar approach, avoiding any discussion of the issue unless he’s questioned about it and focusing on the economy.

Read more: foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/12/gop-gay-marriage-issue-but-not-like-economy/#ixzz1ufZ5SYPd
In war, every weapon is valid.
Once you get into Presidency, that is another whole completely different story.
 
Every election is a battle for the middle. Each side has the party faithful locked up. The candidates fight for the moderates, which is why they shift their positions from the party middle to the voter middle after the primary. President Obama already had the Democrat faithful. One of the largest groups against gay marriage, at least in the South, is Black churchgoers. They just helped get the amendment passed in NC, but they are mostly a guaranteed Democrat vote and will be voting for Obama in November.

On the Republican side a significant group of party faithful could care less about moral issues and are only concerned about economic issues. They would prefer the Republicans give up stances against abortion and homosexuality because they believe it cost them votes.

I think the ‘moderate’ vote is almost entirely driven by economic issues.

I think the GOP nationally will give enough lip service to being against gay marriage to keep the conservative religious base on board but not enough to turn off the moderates.

Of course both parties get lots of votes by promising to ‘fix’ something. They are both reluctant to ever actually fix the problem because that eliminates a good vote getting issue. Both parties have a strong incentive to talk and do nothing. So long as nothing is done marriage is somewhat safe, although I realize the courts can destroy it at any time.
 
Every election is a battle for the middle. Each side has the party faithful locked up. The candidates fight for the moderates, which is why they shift their positions from the party middle to the voter middle after the primary. President Obama already had the Democrat faithful. One of the largest groups against gay marriage, at least in the South, is Black churchgoers. They just helped get the amendment passed in NC, but they are mostly a guaranteed Democrat vote and will be voting for Obama in November.

On the Republican side a significant group of party faithful could care less about moral issues and are only concerned about economic issues. They would prefer the Republicans give up stances against abortion and homosexuality because they believe it cost them votes.

I think the ‘moderate’ vote is almost entirely driven by economic issues.

I think the GOP nationally will give enough lip service to being against gay marriage to keep the conservative religious base on board but not enough to turn off the moderates.

Of course both parties get lots of votes by promising to ‘fix’ something. They are both reluctant to ever actually fix the problem because that eliminates a good vote getting issue. Both parties have a strong incentive to talk and do nothing. So long as nothing is done marriage is somewhat safe, although I realize the courts can destroy it at any time.
Why would you consider GOP opposition to gay “marriage” “lip service?” Is there any indication the stance is not genuine?
 
Every election is a battle for the middle. Each side has the party faithful locked up. The candidates fight for the moderates, which is why they shift their positions from the party middle to the voter middle after the primary. President Obama already had the Democrat faithful. One of the largest groups against gay marriage, at least in the South, is Black churchgoers. They just helped get the amendment passed in NC, but they are mostly a guaranteed Democrat vote and will be voting for Obama in November.

On the Republican side a significant group of party faithful could care less about moral issues and are only concerned about economic issues. They would prefer the Republicans give up stances against abortion and homosexuality because they believe it cost them votes.

I think the ‘moderate’ vote is almost entirely driven by economic issues.

I think the GOP nationally will give enough lip service to being against gay marriage to keep the conservative religious base on board but not enough to turn off the moderates.

Of course both parties get lots of votes by promising to ‘fix’ something. They are both reluctant to ever actually fix the problem because that eliminates a good vote getting issue. Both parties have a strong incentive to talk and do nothing. So long as nothing is done marriage is somewhat safe, although I realize the courts can destroy it at any time.
I do not see how Obama can reach out to the middle this time; he is not a moderate on any issue.
 
I do not see how Obama can reach out to the middle this time; he is not a moderate on any issue.
Agreed.I happen to know of more than a few people,who voted for Obama in last election,that will vote forvRomney this time around.They did strss however,this is only because they don’t see him as radically conservative. It is a fact that the moderates are the ones that determine our elected officials.Must be nice to have that much power:rolleyes:
 
Why would you consider GOP opposition to gay “marriage” “lip service?” Is there any indication the stance is not genuine?
If it is a matter of smaller government intrusion into rights Republican might agree with Obama that gay rights belong at the state level of determination.
 
Why would you consider GOP opposition to gay “marriage” “lip service?” Is there any indication the stance is not genuine?
Because I consider politics and politicians fundamentally dishonest. The goal is to obtain power. In America this means to get elected. The kind of person who does well in politics is typically the kind who can say what he needs to in order to win. This is especially true the more power at stake. Specifically regarding the GOP their lack of doing anything substantial regarding any of their conservative positions, abortion, funding of Planned Parenthood, Department of Education etc. indicates this.
I do not see how Obama can reach out to the middle this time; he is not a moderate on any issue.
I wouldn’t disagree but then again I’m increasingly surprised and distressed at what the moderate American believes. The never failing ability for the average American to be fooled in the same way time and again works to Obama, and any politicians favor. Also America has been marching steadily to the left. What the average conservative believes is nowhere near what I consider conservative. But my idea of conservative is stuck in the past. Conservative really means holding the status quo. Obama has set a new status quo and therefore shifted the middle ground.
 
Because I consider politics and politicians fundamentally dishonest. The goal is to obtain power. In America this means to get elected. The kind of person who does well in politics is typically the kind who can say what he needs to in order to win. This is especially true the more power at stake. Specifically regarding the GOP their lack of doing anything substantial regarding any of their conservative positions, abortion, funding of Planned Parenthood, Department of Education etc. indicates this.
The topic at question is “gay marriage.” I don’t believe you can say or support the idea that the GOP hasn’t done anything substantial regarding “gay marriage.” Look at the successful efforts in the several states who have passed traditional marriage legislation. Also, consider the Defense of Marriage Act, sponsored and passed by the GOP.
 
If it is a matter of smaller government intrusion into rights Republican might agree with Obama that gay rights belong at the state level of determination.
Some Republicans do, and others are interested in working towards a Constitutional Amendment. Clearly, the GOP sponsored and past DOMA was meant to be enforced at the federal level. Obama isn’t enforcing it, of course.
 
The topic at question is “gay marriage.” I don’t believe you can say or support the idea that the GOP hasn’t done anything substantial regarding “gay marriage.” Look at the successful efforts in the several states who have passed traditional marriage legislation. Also, consider the Defense of Marriage Act, sponsored and passed by the GOP.
I agree that the GOP on the state level is a good bit better. The Defense of Marriage Act was a GOP initiative but it also had broad support. A majority of Democrats voted for it and it was signed by Clinton. Those were different times to be sure. The GOP helped enact something that people largely agreed with. I haven’t seen any such attempt with less popular issues. These days ‘gay marriage’ is much more popular.
 
Obama didn’t flip flop though, he told a falsehood that even his supporters claimed he only did to get elected. They knew he was lying back in 2008. I had many of them tell me so.
 
Obama didn’t flip flop though, he told a falsehood that even his supporters claimed he only did to get elected. They knew he was lying back in 2008. I had many of them tell me so.
And he probably wouldn’t have come out on the issuebefore this election had the Vice President not said it first.

Jon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top