Gospel of St Thomas

  • Thread starter Thread starter joeantony
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joeantony

Guest
Hello All,
I recently came across the Gospel of St Thomas and Infancy Gospel of St Thomas. I know that it is not part of the Canonical Bible. However does the church advise us not to read them?

Will it be detrimental to my catholic faith if I read these books which are not yet 100% Authenticated ?

Hope to get some comments form theologians also from those who have already read them?
Cheers
Joe
 
How would it be detrimental to your faith?

They are interesting. They sound like the real gospels, but they are different in intriguing ways. The Infancy Gospel has some interesting tales and the GOT is like a list of things Jesus supposedly said, many of which are also in the real gospels. Read them, read about them, and read other early Christian and Christian-like works.
 
Hi Apollo,
Thats a nice encouragement. Since I have fellow catholics strong in faith read them, I shall confidently do the same.
Joe
 
Hi Apollo,
Thats a nice encouragement. Since I have fellow catholics strong in faith read them, I shall confidently do the same.
Joe
But, this is considered a “gnostic gospel”, and was written perhaps 200 years after Christ. The “Gnostics” believed in salvation through knowledge. It is interesting reading, but do not take it too seriously. Something that was not discovered until 1945 is suspicious. It was definitely not used in Church liturgy, or it would have been canonized into the bible. Here is one reference:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Thomas
 
I too have read some non-canonical text. The issue is not the text but yourself. If you will put your full faith into the text, then it will be detrimental to your faith. But if you would treat it as what it is and recognize that not everything in the text may be true or consistent with the Church’s teachings, then you will have an opportunity to learn a little bit about the past.
 
As long as you understand their backgrounds and limitations, you’re fine. The Infancy Gospel of Thomas is a totally forgery in the sense that it’s just a collection of folktales penned down a couple hundred years after Christ. People wanted to know more about the missing years between the birth of Jesus and the beginning of his ministry. Some of the stories are pretty comical, as they are so un-Christ-like. The Gospel of Thomas, on the other hand, is a Gnostic gospel, and should be read as a book trying to reveal “hidden wisdom” to a tiny elite core of people who can understand it. Only by deciphering it’s complex statements (NOT through any kind of moral action or the saving power of Jesus) can you get to heaven.
 
It seems that everybody is responding inline with what I was thinking. I got it confirmed after reading your posts that I should be conscious about the fallibility of those texts. Gnostic s indeed sounds like some cults wanted to develop themselves like a secret society or who had influenced by Greek philosophy of that time. They probably had mixed the Christ’s teaching with the Greek philosophy. I am suddenly curious to read all those texts, Pistis Sophia, Infancy Gospels Gospel of Mary etc. Well, I might end up as a not so ignorant catholic later.
Joe
 
It seems that everybody is responding inline with what I was thinking. I got it confirmed after reading your posts that I should be conscious about the fallibility of those texts. Gnostic s indeed sounds like some cults wanted to develop themselves like a secret society or who had influenced by Greek philosophy of that time. They probably had mixed the Christ’s teaching with the Greek philosophy. I am suddenly curious to read all those texts, Pistis Sophia, Infancy Gospels Gospel of Mary etc. Well, I might end up as a not so ignorant catholic later.
Joe
I know that the Gnostics “borrowed” much Christian writing for their own purposes, while also adding to it. It is most unusual that many of the supposed Gnostic writings occurred not 20-60 years after Jesus died, but almost 200 years later, long after even the Apostle John died. I can certainly understand the interest in Thomas, since he evangelized in India. It is a shame that he did not write a Gospel.

I have not read any of the Gnostic “gospels”, since they contain information that could lead a faithful Catholic astray.
 
It is difficult to be led astray if you read these texts critically. Besides, gnostic theology is very complex and difficult to comprehend. Scholars spend years trying to sort out the symbols and obscure references in these texts.

How could one read these obscure texts with devotion?

One should understand the history of Christianity.
 
It is difficult to be led astray if you read these texts critically. Besides, gnostic theology is very complex and difficult to comprehend. Scholars spend years trying to sort out the symbols and obscure references in these texts.

How could one read these obscure texts with devotion?

One should understand the history of Christianity.
What you say is true. I would suggest avoiding them only since the Church does not authorize or recommend the study of these documents. I place them in a category with the JW “bible” or the BoM. They have interesting content, and certainly contain some truth, but it can take only a tiny deflection from the truth to begin an unwanted path. (Edited)
 
What you say is true. I would suggest avoiding them only since the Church does not authorize or recommend the study of these documents. I place them in a category with the JW “bible” or the BoM. They have interesting content, and certainly contain some truth, but it can take only a tiny deflection from the truth to begin an unwanted path. (Edited)
I think you’re overreacting. I have noticed that Protestants sometimes refuse to read the deuterocanonicals for similar reasons. But what strikes me as especially interesting is that they don’t seem to have a problem with other works that were never considered biblical at all, like Josephus or Marcus Aurelius. It’s as if *almost *getting into the Bible somehow makes a book *really *bad.
 
I think you’re overreacting. I have noticed that Protestants sometimes refuse to read the deuterocanonicals for similar reasons. But what strikes me as especially interesting is that they don’t seem to have a problem with other works that were never considered biblical at all, like Josephus or Marcus Aurelius. It’s as if *almost *getting into the Bible somehow makes a book *really *bad.
Quite possible, but, there could also be an under reaction, right? First, we know from the Church that gnosticism is not the truth. (Edited)

The catechism, in section 285, lists gnosticism as one of many philosophies that challenge Christianity. While not outright condemned in that section, our faith is certainly subject to being challenged by gnosticism.

I just can’t see the fascination with gnostic teaching, unless as part of a study of philosophy or heresy. By itself, it is not helpful to Catholic faith. That’s all.
 
I know that the Gnostics “borrowed” much Christian writing for their own purposes, while also adding to it. It is most unusual that many of the supposed Gnostic writings occurred not 20-60 years after Jesus died, but almost 200 years later, long after even the Apostle John died. I can certainly understand the interest in Thomas, since he evangelized in India. It is a shame that he did not write a Gospel.

I have not read any of the Gnostic “gospels”, since they contain information that could lead a faithful Catholic astray.
Hi,
It is true, I was curiosu to know how St Thomas , who first brought Good News to India, “wrote” the Gospel. He also believed to have written the Hymn of Pearl. I haven’t read it yet. Looks quite complictaed. But my fait is pretty strong. I am curious to read these non canonical books. I do not know why, may be I am more of theologian kind. lol.

About Gnostics, yes , it is extremly important to understand that theose writings and teachings are fallible. I am not sure if christ would be so biased to reveal the Truth to only few,even in such a condensed form that a lay person would hardly decipher them. For example Pistis Sophia. I didnt have any clue what it all means after reading some 30 chapters. But stick to the Church’s authority, thats my mantra!
Joe
 
What you say is true. I would suggest avoiding them only since the Church does not authorize or recommend the study of these documents. I place them in a category with the JW “bible” or the BoM. They have interesting content, and certainly contain some truth, but it can take only a tiny deflection from the truth to begin an unwanted path. Fr. Anthony DeMello and Fr. Thomas Merton stand as examples of this occurring to them. And each was quite well grounded in philosophy and Catholic theology at the start.
I’d like to take exception to the suggestion that Fr. Anthony DeMello and Thomas Merton (Fr. Louis Merton OCSO) were somehow ‘deflected from the truth onto an unwanted path.’ In my view they were grounded in philosophy and Catholic theology at the start and at the end of their lives as well, both dying as priests of the Church much loved and respected. As Merton once wrote, “If a writer is so cautious that he never writes anything that cannot be criticized, he will never write anything that can be read. If you want to help other people you have got to make up your mind to write things that some men will condemn.” I’m aware that both have been criticized by some of the Church’s more conservative guardians of the faith, and there may certainly be legitimate differences in opinion, but in my experience many of their critics are merely parroting attacks without having read DeMello or Merton. And certainly there is a multitude of pious and utterly non-controversial books one can read profitably without ever turning to DeMello or Merton, but I object to the casual slander implying they lost their way. This is a calumny.
 
I’d like to take exception to the suggestion that Fr. Anthony DeMello and Thomas Merton (Fr. Louis Merton OCSO) were somehow ‘deflected from the truth onto an unwanted path.’ In my view they were grounded in philosophy and Catholic theology at the start and at the end of their lives as well, both dying as priests of the Church much loved and respected. As Merton once wrote, “If a writer is so cautious that he never writes anything that cannot be criticized, he will never write anything that can be read. If you want to help other people you have got to make up your mind to write things that some men will condemn.” I’m aware that both have been criticized by some of the Church’s more conservative guardians of the faith, and there may certainly be legitimate differences in opinion, but in my experience many of their critics are merely parroting attacks without having read DeMello or Merton. And certainly there is a multitude of pious and utterly non-controversial books one can read profitably without ever turning to DeMello or Merton, but I object to the casual slander implying they lost their way. This is a calumny.
Calumny? OK. Just know that the authority to which you claim to be obedient examined DeMello’s writings at length and declared them harmful. He received cautions and correction along the way, but persisted. You disagree not so much with me, but with Pope Benedict XVI. That’s all I can say.
 
Hi,
It is true, I was curiosu to know how St Thomas , who first brought Good News to India, “wrote” the Gospel. He also believed to have written the Hymn of Pearl. I haven’t read it yet. Looks quite complictaed. But my fait is pretty strong. I am curious to read these non canonical books. I do not know why, may be I am more of theologian kind. lol.
I know only my own limitations, and the allure of teachings that are easier than those of our Church. I respond from that position.
About Gnostics, yes , it is extremly important to understand that theose writings and teachings are fallible. I am not sure if christ would be so biased to reveal the Truth to only few,even in such a condensed form that a lay person would hardly decipher them. For example Pistis Sophia. I didnt have any clue what it all means after reading some 30 chapters. But stick to the Church’s authority, thats my mantra!
Joe
In my mind, gnosticism is elitist and exclusive, granting salvation only to those with secret knowledge and sufficient intellect to probe it. Our Lord taught the opposite: “At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure” (Luke 10:21).

It seems that the Gnostics had this very teaching in mind when they sought out to find that which God had hidden from them. What they failed to realize is that the Gospel is not found through complication, but through simplicity.
 
I’d like to take exception to the suggestion that Fr. Anthony DeMello and Thomas Merton (Fr. Louis Merton OCSO) were somehow ‘deflected from the truth onto an unwanted path.’ In my view they were grounded in philosophy and Catholic theology at the start and at the end of their lives as well, both dying as priests of the Church much loved and respected.
Exception noted. What about the middle of their lives, when their writings and teachings were most prolific? Both were clearly sent many temptations away from their faith - unless you do not believe in temptation.
As Merton once wrote, “If a writer is so cautious that he never writes anything that cannot be criticized, he will never write anything that can be read. If you want to help other people you have got to make up your mind to write things that some men will condemn.”
But, some of his later writings vary substantially from the teaching of the very Church to which he vowed obedience! What we teach and believe is to be hated by the world, not by those whom God has entrusted to keep the faith!
I’m aware that both have been criticized by some of the Church’s more conservative guardians of the faith, and there may certainly be legitimate differences in opinion, but in my experience many of their critics are merely parroting attacks without having read DeMello or Merton.
Without the dreaded “conservatism”, you would have no Catholic Church to belong to! Does there exist such a curiosity as a “liberal guardian” of the faith? How is revealed truth supposed to be conserved, except through conservatism? You disagree with Pope Benedict XVI who, as Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, studied DeMello’s writings at length and declared, with authority, that they were inconsistent with Christian teaching and therefore harmful. If you disagree with the Pope, whom do you then obey?
And certainly there is a multitude of pious and utterly non-controversial books one can read profitably without ever turning to DeMello or Merton, but I object to the casual slander implying they lost their way. This is a calumny.
The only casual thing I see is judgment and demonization of those who disagree with you. I would be delighted to read your thoughtful analysis of Cardinal Ratzinger’s critique of DeMello’s writings.
 
Hello All,
I recently came across the Gospel of St Thomas and Infancy Gospel of St Thomas. I know that it is not part of the Canonical Bible. However does the church advise us not to read them?

Will it be detrimental to my catholic faith if I read these books which are not yet 100% Authenticated ?

Hope to get some comments form theologians also from those who have already read them?
Cheers
Joe
They’re not Christian, they’re Gnostic. And the Gospel of Thomas is boring (Edited). I mean it sounds all interesting when the media makes a big deal about “lost gospels” but they sound like an eight year old wrote them.
 
Exception noted. What about the middle of their lives, when their writings and teachings were most prolific? Both were clearly sent many temptations away from their faith - unless you do not believe in temptation.

But, some of his later writings vary substantially from the teaching of the very Church to which he vowed obedience! What we teach and believe is to be hated by the world, not by those whom God has entrusted to keep the faith!

Without the dreaded “conservatism”, you would have no Catholic Church to belong to! Does there exist such a curiosity as a “liberal guardian” of the faith? How is revealed truth supposed to be conserved, except through conservatism? You disagree with Pope Benedict XVI who, as Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, studied DeMello’s writings at length and declared, with authority, that they were inconsistent with Christian teaching and therefore harmful. If you disagree with the Pope, whom do you then obey?

The only casual thing I see is judgment and demonization of those who disagree with you. I would be delighted to read your thoughtful analysis of Cardinal Ratzinger’s critique of DeMello’s writings.
I realize that our comments depart from the thread concerning the Gospel of St. Thomas so I will be brief. We are all sent temptations. You have singled out these two priests who loved the Church and have brought much joy and insight to many. I think their writings strengthened the Catholic faith immeasurably. You seem to think it led people away, perhaps because it included a measure of understanding and respect for other religions, but this is precisely what we were called to cultivate by Vatican II. The Notification posted by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was done so many years after the death of Fr. DeMello. Obviously he could not respond. I would call that a cheap shot.

I believe the leaders of the Catholic Church are guided by the Holy Spirit. I do not know whether the Holy Spirit guides them exclusively and not leaders of other churches or indeed other religions. It would seem to me that would be putting the cart before the horse, insisting that we know the mind of God better than God. But this is a very human thing to do. I like the way the author Ann La Mott put it: “You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”

I reject the idea that either Merton’s or DeMello’s writings “vary substantially” from the teaching of the Church. If this were true one would expect that the “Imprimi Potest,” “Nihil Obstat,” and “Imprimatur” would have been withheld. They were not removed from their religious congregations or the priesthood. This must rankle their critics to no end, but it speaks to the great strength and splendor of the Church. Jesus said “be not afraid.” The fear of having open discussions (like this) and questioning teachings and leaders to arrive at deeper understandings is toxic and against Christ’s teaching. As I wrote in my first message, Merton and DeMello are not beyond criticism, any more than Cardinals Ratzinger and Bertone are beyond criticism. But I am pretty sure that both Merton and DeMello will be remembered and quoted long beyond the other two, in spite of Ratzinger’s election to the papacy. I do not worship the pope. Anyone who has read even the most cursory history of the papacy quickly realizes that some of them were flawed and in even disastrous leaders. Time will tell whether Benedict proves saintly. I worship Jesus. And if you think that the Catholic Church requires the worship and slavish obedience to the will of popes you are way off base.

You have a way of twisting what I wrote and changing its meaning, which is underhanded. I did not attack the Church’s conservatism. I actually acknowledged that there may be legitimate differences of opinion, and I am sure that those who are speaking as the guardians of the faith usually do so without guile. For me to disagree is not the same as demonizing, but by using that word you inject real venom into the discussion.

One day we will have another pope and those seven paragraphs on the Vatican website attacking Fr. DeMello will be taken down and forgotten. It’s all political. If you read the lives of the saints, you will quickly see that even the greatest were often vilified by the religious leaders of their day, quite often bishops, Grand Inquisitors, and even a few popes. We do not remember those who did the vilifying. And that, my friend, is also the work the Holy Spirit.
 
I realize that our comments depart from the thread concerning the Gospel of St. Thomas so I will be brief. We are all sent temptations. You have singled out these two priests who loved the Church and have brought much joy and insight to many. I think their writings strengthened the Catholic faith immeasurably. You seem to think it led people away, perhaps because it included a measure of understanding and respect for other religions, but this is precisely what we were called to cultivate by Vatican II. The Notification posted by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was done so many years after the death of Fr. DeMello. Obviously he could not respond. I would call that a cheap shot.

I believe the leaders of the Catholic Church are guided by the Holy Spirit. I do not know whether the Holy Spirit guides them exclusively and not leaders of other churches or indeed other religions. It would seem to me that would be putting the cart before the horse, insisting that we know the mind of God better than God. But this is a very human thing to do. I like the way the author Ann La Mott put it: “You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”

I reject the idea that either Merton’s or DeMello’s writings “vary substantially” from the teaching of the Church. If this were true one would expect that the “Imprimi Potest,” “Nihil Obstat,” and “Imprimatur” would have been withheld. They were not removed from their religious congregations or the priesthood. This must rankle their critics to no end, but it speaks to the great strength and splendor of the Church. Jesus said “be not afraid.” The fear of having open discussions (like this) and questioning teachings and leaders to arrive at deeper understandings is toxic and against Christ’s teaching. As I wrote in my first message, Merton and DeMello are not beyond criticism, any more than Cardinals Ratzinger and Bertone are beyond criticism. But I am pretty sure that both Merton and DeMello will be remembered and quoted long beyond the other two, in spite of Ratzinger’s election to the papacy. I do not worship the pope. Anyone who has read even the most cursory history of the papacy quickly realizes that some of them were flawed and in even disastrous leaders. Time will tell whether Benedict proves saintly. I worship Jesus. And if you think that the Catholic Church requires the worship and slavish obedience to the will of popes you are way off base.

You have a way of twisting what I wrote and changing its meaning, which is underhanded. I did not attack the Church’s conservatism. I actually acknowledged that there may be legitimate differences of opinion, and I am sure that those who are speaking as the guardians of the faith usually do so without guile. For me to disagree is not the same as demonizing, but by using that word you inject real venom into the discussion.

One day we will have another pope and those seven paragraphs on the Vatican website attacking Fr. DeMello will be taken down and forgotten. It’s all political. If you read the lives of the saints, you will quickly see that even the greatest were often vilified by the religious leaders of their day, quite often bishops, Grand Inquisitors, and even a few popes. We do not remember those who did the vilifying. And that, my friend, is also the work the Holy Spirit.
I must, out of charity, note that your response is replete with relativism.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top