Gossip and what to do

grace6877

When people begin to gossip or detract someone else to you, what do you need to do so that you aren’t guilty of a sin? If I were to try to turn the conversation from the negative and say kind things about the person being detracted, am I still guilty of the sin, because I did not explicitly renounce gossip/detraction in that moment? I’m trying to try my best.
Any advice would be helpful.

You can’t help what other people do. If you can turn the conversation in a positive direction, you should do so, but just speaking for myself, I wouldn’t let it descend into a debate as to whether the gossip is warranted or not. Sometimes you just have to let it go and ignore it.

As my father always said, the more you stir it, the worse it stinks.

Tough situation, since our culture seems to consist of little except gossip. Maybe print this from the catechism and simply let them know these are the rules which you hold yourself to, thus you cannot participate.

IV. RESPECT FOR THE TRUTH

[2488]
The right to the communication of the truth is not unconditional. Everyone must conform his life to the Gospel precept of fraternal love. This requires us in concrete situations to judge whether or not it is appropriate to reveal the truth to someone who asks for it.

[2489] Charity and respect for the truth should dictate the response to every request for information or communication. The good and safety of others, respect for privacy, and the common good are sufficient reasons for being silent about what ought not be known or for making use of a discreet language. The duty to avoid scandal often commands strict discretion. No one is bound to reveal the truth to someone who does not have the right to know it.283

As well, Scott Richert wrote this article about gossip.

Last edited:
I’m glad you brought this up, as it sheds some light (though it does not have to do only with gossip) on how we may (or, indeed, should) use communication in cases where grave harm to oneself or another is involved. Here’s a good article from CA:

When I became acquainted with Catholicism, and studied it both before and after being received into the Church, I was intrigued to see that Catholicism places an emphasis on always telling the truth that is lost on people outside the Church. In the Protestant environment in which I was raised (we were not church-goers and did not formally affiliate with any denomination), it’s very simple — you tell a “white lie” to keep yourself or someone else out of trouble, or even to achieve a desirable goal, as the situation arises.

Catholicism doesn’t admit of this. However, we do have an “escape hatch” in the concept of the mental reservation, and in the concept of “does this person have the right to know the truth or not?”. Over the years, I have trained myself in the skill of how to craft a mental reservation, saying nothing that is false, but speaking in such a way as not to reveal harmful or disadvantageous facts. A case in point is my father’s illness that eventually resulted in his death. He did not wish people outside the home to know the extent of his illness, so when people would ask about him, I’d say “he takes it pretty easy these days”, “he doesn’t get out much”, “he’s had to quit driving”, and so on. He didn’t want people coming in, seeing him in his extreme state, and spreading the word all over town. I said nothing whatsoever that was untrue, I just concealed the extent of his illness. Sadly, for somewhat the same reasons, I am now having to do the same for my mother, whose condition is very precarious right now, and probably terminal just as my father’s was.

People in the culture in which I was raised (not Catholics) would say “oh, you lied all that time”. No, I didn’t. I was just selective in the truth that I told. In their culture, deceiving equals lying, not telling the whole story about something equals lying, and so on. Yet we as Catholics know better. And that is one more thing that makes our faith so comforting to have and to live by.

Thanks so much for bringing this up. My particular ministry suffered greatly at the hands of persons who claimed to know my situation, but did not. My main website suffered tremendous losses. (65k in 8 years compared to 800 in the 13 years since).

And I was stalked by one of the parties in those ensuing 13 years.

I complain heartily - almost daily - to my God that He may hear me (paraphrased Psalm).

Blessings,
Cloisters

When people begin to gossip or detract someone else to you, what do you need to do so that you aren’t guilty of a sin? If I were to try to turn the conversation from the negative and say kind things about the person being detracted, am I still guilty of the sin, because I did not explicitly renounce gossip/detraction in that moment? I’m trying to try my best.
Any advice would be helpful.
Politely express your discomfort with gossip or negative discussions. You can say something like, "I feel uncomfortable talking about others in this way. Can we focus on something more positive? I am a art lover. let’s talk my favorite art.

Welcome to Catholic Questions! A good response that may not sit well with those predisposed to gossip. However, if resistance is met with, one could also ask them “Do you mind if I gossip about you after you leave?”

I have various strategies, none of which I consider sinful. As soon as I deploy these tactics, I work swiftly to change the subject.

One is detachment (refusal to get enmeshed or take sides) - “I’m sorry you had that experience. I hope/pray you get this worked out.”

Another is gracefully defending the target, “Well, at any rate, I’m grateful for all of the hard work he’s put into this project. He has some creative ideas.”

Another is bringing the issue back to where it probably belongs . . . to the gossiper. (Most gossips I know are somehow hurting inside and just need to connect to others in a healthier way). “You sound stressed. Are you doing OK these days? Any updates on your [mom/dad/other life stressor?]”

If it gets too bitter and b!tchy, I’ve had to word things more strongly. “Oh? I’m sorry you feel that way. Father McGillicuddy is one of my favorite priests. I hope you get to know him better.”

As others have said, sometimes removal is your only option if people are h@llbent on continuing the gossip. It got really bad at a park play date once. I got up, left the group, and walked around the park until my kids were ready to go home.

Excessive negativity is spiritually toxic and best avoided.

Last edited:
Back