Got laughed out of the classroom during an abortion debate

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ben_Sinner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok from the moment they are alive till born? Do we get to walk away after birth saying wow we’re great people that baby lived and it’s because we made abortion illegal. It’s all sunshine and rainbows, everyone is a happy family so much love for the new little bundle of joy. Never any abuse, never any thought that that precious sweet lovely baby is punishment.
It strikes me as very, very odd that you’re so worried about the state of the baby after it’s born on the one hand, and ok with not even considering them human until they’re born on the other.

Answer me this: What is it about being in a mother’s womb makes that growing baby not human? How is that baby **any less human **for not having a fully developed nervous system or set of internal organs as of yet?
 
It strikes me as very, very odd that you’re so worried about the state of the baby after it’s born on the one hand, and ok with not even considering them human until they’re born on the other.

Answer me this: What is it about being in a mother’s womb makes that growing baby not human? How is that baby **any less human **for not having a fully developed nervous system or set of internal organs as of yet?
I am more worried about them after birth. the first few years are crucial to a child’s development. A child that is forced upon parents can end up living a horrific life, many times those scars are lifelong.

Please don’t say what if my mother aborted me. She was not given the choice, abortion was illegal when I was conceived and I know for a fact if it were legal I would not be here, she tried having miscarriages, to which I still have health issues. I grew up knowing this she never let me forget I was her cross in life, her PUNISHMENT… I would have rather her had the choice than to grow up thinking I was some horrible mistake that ruined this woman’s life.

I realize as a fully grown adult I did not ask for that situation; however as a child I felt like the worst piece of trash on the planet. It’ more my compassion for these children who are brought into bad situations. It’s years of knowing you are an unwanted piece of trash that causes the scars… So yes I would have rather her had the choice, at least she could never throw in my face I was forced on her.

I’m quite successful and doing just fine on my own. I don’t need or want sympathy from anyone but helpless unwanted children in the hands of monsters definitely have my sympathy and should have everyone’s sympathy. Not everyone is as lucky as I was.
 
lonelypetunia,

Catholics are also concerned that children be raised in loving households, be well fed, clothed, educated, etc. We would be ecstatic to work with any person or family who has serious need, even to their dying day. There is just one problem: too many of those whom we would help are summarily executed before we get the chance. In all too many cases, this is not even the desire of the mother.

Take a look at the work of Veronica’s Home of Mercy. There are truly alternatives out there.
 
lonelypetunia,

Catholics are also concerned that children be raised in loving households, be well fed, clothed, educated, etc. We would be ecstatic to work with any person or family who has serious need, even to their dying day. There is just one problem: too many of those whom we would help are summarily executed before we get the chance. In all too many cases, this is not even the desire of the mother.

Take a look at the work of Veronica’s Home of Mercy. There are truly alternatives out there.
I do believe you. When faced with a young girl in an unwanted pregnancy I always direct her to help in keeping her baby. I can’t imagine the guilt one must feel by choosing abortion. That is good women of conscience. I let her know she isn’t alone and that she isn’t forced to “get rid of the problem” . many girls/women abort out of fear, and my heart aches for them. The fear of being judged for exercising poor judgment. We’ve all made bad decisions; she shouldn’t be persecuted, she should be loved as the imperfect human being she is. I definitely feel it’s more important to let the woman/girl know she isn’t alone, she is worthy of having this child and raising it and the burden of it isn’t solely on her that there are those out there who care and will help. I’m delighted and tickled when I can help someone avoid making one of the most difficult decisions of their life. Those women who felt there was no other option and ended up having an abortion are truly haunted and hurt for many years, my heart goes out to them. Being able to offer up help in helping the mother and child is a great thing.

Then there is the other side. The side that I was born into. I was born to a very selfish, self-centered individual who thought of no one but herself. She had no problems telling me she wished I would just die, she told me I was put on this earth as punishment, that I was evil and the best I could ever hope for is to be a mistress to someone because I was not worthy to be loved. These are the things I grew up hearing. I was not allowed to sit on the furniture because the family animal wasn’t allowed on the couch. oddly enough the dog was allowed on the couch but I wasn’t. This is crazy but I lie to you not, it’s unfortunately true.

I look back on those years as an adult and I know the problem wasn’t with me, it was her problem. she had serious issues and should have never been a parent. i hold my convictions that woman should have been allowed to have had an abortion. The blood would have been on her hands. Now, don’t get me wrong i’m not all depressed or sad. As stated earlier i’ve done quiet well for myself. I have a good job, I have wonderful friends, I actually care about those around me, I feel compassion for people. I think I’ve had the opportunity to see the dark side and not everyone is capable of being a loving, caring parent. Chilldren need and depend on adults for many years, they deserve to be loved and taught how to grow up to be loving and productive members of society.
 
Life with illness or disability or an abusive family may not be a life that we would choose for ourselves. Such a life might seem to be meaningless or hopeless. Regardless, this line of thinking does not give us, or anyone else, the right to deny life to another.
 
Life with illness or disability or an abusive family may not be a life that we would choose for ourselves. Such a life might seem to be meaningless or hopeless. Regardless, this line of thinking does not give us, or anyone else, the right to deny life to another.
Indeed. If it had been up to individual choice, lonelypetunia wouldn’t be around to share with us now, nor share her love to innocent children.
 
Responding to the OP here:

You are really in a compromised position when arrogant liberal academia, who think there is only ONE viewpoint on things: theirs, and who run most of the universities, have you in a spot with your tuition money and your need to pass classes.

When I was getting my Masters for Education, I took a paper-making class, and a student I chatted with a lot in class made for his project a collage with his handmade paper, including torn and upside-down holy cards in disrespectful positions, “blood” dripped around and circus pics added in, and, I remember particularly Mary in the cards used. As a good Protestant, I was against “graven images” and “worshipping” Mary, and I certainly did not ever think about Mary except at Christmas, however, for some reason, this offended me, and I told him. He could take it though. At critique time, the teacher enthusiastically and approvingly brought our attention to his work, inviting comment. I said,

“These ripped cards represent people’s deeply held beliefs about God. Why even make this “art”? Why not just instead wear a big sign that says, ‘I have no respect for your beliefs!’??”

The artist looked ashamed, the students got silent because I had a point, and it enraged the teacher. She just seethed at me. She apparently savored hopes that the discussion would go another way, and I ruined it, I guess.

When I saw the printout posted for my final grade, I was shocked. It was a C-. I had done ALL the work in the greatest detail, not taking the easy or quick way out of any assignment, and in fact went the extra mile in all things. I called her and left messages for her at school and home (she’d given us her number and a “call any time”) but she never answered any of my calls or messages. Finally I had the inspiration to call her home very early in the morning, most people’s breakfast time. Sure enough, her husband answered, and you could hear they were having breakfast, and he gave his wife the phone before she could fend it off. I told her I had done all the work perfectly and did not deserve a C and I required no less than a B for my Masters and I would not accept a C - I would complain to the administration. She agreed then and there to change it, and did. I think it was my only B, the rest A’s!

So dot your i’s and cross your t’s and keep records! If you get discriminated against, they don’t want you complaining to administration about them. Always be prepared to make your case. Its good preparation for the real world, anyway.
 
Indeed. If it had been up to individual choice, lonelypetunia wouldn’t be around to share with us now, nor share her love to innocent children.
I appreciate your comment. I do feel a tremendous amount of compassion for children in bad situations… When I see young adults/teens committing horrible acts I often wonder if it was due to home circumstances. That they were considered throw aways and were given up on them therefore feel they have nothing left to lose. Children are impressionable and having love and compassion at an early age can make all the difference. When I see a young child I see great potential, I often hope to myself that they are getting the LOVE and guidance they so deserve. Children rely on us to show them how to treat others, kindness is infectious, love is infectious. Also, being taught they are special is crucial. Because they are special. Like I said not many in my situation was as lucky as I was. I am grateful for how my life turned out. Many in my situation weren’t so lucky.

I do love innocent children! I truly wish there was something I could do to help those children in need, at times I feel so helpless and it pains me to think there are kids out there suffering through no fault of their own. It literally breaks my heart.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top