Grandma Home Alone Opens Fire on Home Invasion Suspects, Killing One

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cathoholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cathoholic

Guest
Grandma Home Alone Opens Fire on Home Invasion Suspects, Killing One
AP by AWR HAWKINS 1 Aug 2017
A grandma home alone in the Katy, Texas area opened fire on two home invasion suspects Monday, killing one.
The second suspect ran for his life, jumped a fence and disappeared from sight once the shots rang out.
According to ABC 13, Harris County Sheriff’s deputies say the 60-year-old grandma was at home by herself when two suspects allegedly entered through the garage. Deputy Thomas Gilliland said, “Both were armed with pistols. She confronted both suspects, retrieved a handgun and fired several times at both subjects.”
. . . this morning she was by herself in the house.”
After the grandma stopped shooting, one suspect was dead and one was on the run. . . .
breitbart.com/big-government/2017/08/01/grandma-home-alone-opens-fire-home-invasion-suspects-killing-one/
 
If you plan to invade someone’s home with a gun, don’t do it in Texas.

Seriously, though, the ending where she is the victim of a murder-robbery is worse than this one. Those two put her in a bad spot.
 
When someone enters your home illegally with a weapon, they have already decided to do you harm. Your only option is to run or shoot first. When you are old, running isn’t an option.

I’m glad it worked out in her favor.
 
I hate the thought somebody had to die for something like that…and that the grandma has to live with that thought she killed someone…but…she did what she had to do to protect herself and what is hers
 
60 is not old.

The most probable outcome with an elderly person defending themselves with a firearm is that they are murdered/injured and robbed versus being robbed. Handguns produce thousands of dead children annually, among other things. It is very unfortunate that our country is addicted to handguns as symbols of power, freedom, sex, and control.

Prayers for the young man’s soul. Nobody will ever know how his life may have turned out. O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

I am glad the woman is safe and unharmed.
 
Grandmas in Texas are armed and extremely dangerous (if you try to mess with them).
 
Slightly off topic, but it bugs me that people are described in articles as mums, dads, grannies, or grandpas - tho the last isn’t too common. Do the writers check with the person to find out their child/grandchild stats? Or do they just assume?

I’m older than the woman in the story but have no grandchildren. Does being a grandmother make her a better person? Or more attractive to readers?

The article would have been much improved by leaving out her grandma status & including the information about the armed intruders in the first paragraph instead of the third.

A woman home alone in the Katy, Texas area opened fire on two armed home invasion suspects Monday, killing one.

There - fixed it. 😃
 
Slightly off topic, but it bugs me that people are described in articles as mums, dads, grannies, or grandpas - tho the last isn’t too common. Do the writers check with the person to find out their child/grandchild stats? Or do they just assume?

I’m older than the woman in the story but have no grandchildren. Does being a grandmother make her a better person? Or more attractive to readers?

The article would have been much improved by leaving out her grandma status & including the information about the armed intruders in the first paragraph instead of the third.

A woman home alone in the Katy, Texas area opened fire on two armed home invasion suspects Monday, killing one.

There - fixed it. 😃
Your point is well taken but newspapers write stories in order to sell newspapers, so they sensationalize, dramatize and play up any odd seeming inconsistencies (this homeowner happens to be a grandma!) and also they give more attention to bad news than good news. So the ‘news’ one consumes is a distorted picture of the world as it really exists. People often visit Africa and are surprised to discover it’s not one big conflict zone.
 
Your point is well taken but newspapers write stories in order to sell newspapers, so they sensationalize, dramatize and play up any odd seeming inconsistencies (this homeowner happens to be a grandma!) and also they give more attention to bad news than good news. So the ‘news’ one consumes is a distorted picture of the world as it really exists. People often visit Africa and are surprised to discover it’s not one big conflict zone.
If it should happen to me, I wonder if the headline would read: Cranky Old Bat Kills Home Invader. 😃
 
Good for her! I would prefer to read Grandma shoots and kills home invader than
home invaders kill Grandma.
 
The gun issue is driven by the NRA and the gun manufacturers and these kinds of stories excite the gun proponents.
US has not reduced its annual rate of gun deaths, but other countries have been making progress. In new research the U.S. accounted for 82 percent of all firearm deaths among the 23 countries studied.
who.int/violence_injury_prevention/publications/violence/small_arms/en/
Here’s a better article:
cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-gun-deaths-compare-to-other-countries/
 
Good for her! I would prefer to read Grandma shoots and kills home invader than
home invaders kill Grandma.
I agree!!! Grandma had nothing to feel guilty about as she has a moral right to protect herself. I had a guy try to break into my house about 10 years ago and believe me if he would have made it thru the door, I would have done the same thing. I had grandkids here with me too. He couldn’t break in my heavy oak door tho. but the police got him anyway. The police instructed me on how to get a gun, they would teach me how to use it and etc. They have a program for that. I already knew all that but wanted to see how they would explain it. I grew up hunting. with my brothers. God Bless, Memaw
 
I agree!!! Grandma had nothing to feel guilty about as she has a moral right to protect herself. I had a guy try to break into my house about 10 years ago and believe me if he would have made it thru the door, I would have done the same thing. I had grandkids here with me too. He couldn’t break in my heavy oak door tho. but the police got him anyway. The police instructed me on how to get a gun, they would teach me how to use it and etc. They have a program for that. I already knew all that but wanted to see how they would explain it. I grew up hunting. with my brothers. God Bless, Memaw
Yes, yes, of course. I agree with whatever you say, Memaw, and hope you are happy. Is there anything you need that I can get you?
 
Especially not with a grandma in the house!
*Other neighbors tell us she did the right thing.

“It’s just, you know what, in the state of Texas, if you’re gonna get on somebody’s property, you’re gonna get shot,” neighbor Catherine Hanks said. “That’s just the way we are, that’s Texas.”* --(abc13.com/news/elderly-woman-shoots-kills-robbery-suspect-near-katy/2263779/)
60 is not old.

The most probable outcome with an elderly person defending themselves with a firearm is that they are murdered/injured and robbed versus being robbed. Handguns produce thousands of dead children annually, among other things. It is very unfortunate that our country is addicted to handguns as symbols of power, freedom, sex, and control.

Prayers for the young man’s soul. Nobody will ever know how his life may have turned out. O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

I am glad the woman is safe and unharmed.
Laws meant to protect the “elderly” typically do not kick in until 65, you’re right.

I also hope his accomplice who got away resolves to repent and amend his life. He got a second chance his associate did not. Let’s hope he doesn’t squander it.
 
60 is not old.
For a rock…
The most probable outcome with an elderly person defending themselves with a firearm is that they are murdered/injured and robbed versus being robbed.
I’ve never seen any data supporting your assertion.
Handguns produce thousands of dead children annually, among other things. It is very unfortunate that our country is addicted to handguns as symbols of power, freedom, sex, and control.
Handguns are inanimate objects incapable of producing anything. And what’s this drive to label political opinions you disagree with in medical terms, as if disagreeing with you is a mental disease? If you don’t want to exercise your right to defend yourself and your family, that’s fine with me, but don’t call me insane for being willing to.
Prayers for the young man’s soul. Nobody will ever know how his life may have turned out. O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.

I am glad the woman is safe and unharmed.
Considering that he broke into an old woman’s house with the intent to do her harm, I think we can take a pretty good guess about how his life would have turned out. Maybe, he would have felt bad about it later, but that’s cold comfort to the woman and her family.
 
If you plan to invade someone’s home with a gun, don’t do it in Texas.

Seriously, though, the ending where she is the victim of a murder-robbery is worse than this one. Those two put her in a bad spot.
If you break and enter onto someone else’s property and don’t have a warrant, your life is forfeit.

Catholic teaching supports this.
 
60 is not old.
This is an old woman we talking about, and that comment smells of intersectionality nonsense.
The most probable outcome with an elderly person defending themselves with a firearm is that they are murdered/injured and robbed versus being robbed. Handguns produce thousands of dead children annually, among other things. It is very unfortunate that our country is addicted to handguns as symbols of power, freedom, sex, and control.
Having a gun is not an addiction. 99.99% of people with guns hope to never use them to shoot anyone else
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top