Great devotion to Mary.

  • Thread starter Thread starter UnityofTrinity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UnityofTrinity

Guest
Dear Catholics, I’m a Protestant and have been like that my whole life, I was raised basically liberal and not until the in my later years that I became a Christian fundamentalist(in the bad way), I was told certain that now I know is not right(evolution is the work of the devil and all evolutionists are atheists, Catholics are idol worshipers and are going to hell, note that this is not how ALL Protestants act, but just a certain people)

Yet years later I began to understand more as I progress both scientifically and spiritually. I have come to understand lots of doctrines and teachings of the Church and I feel that it’s right, that somehow the Church can explain the Scripture better than my Protestant friends and pastors. Yet while I have understand most of the Church’s teachings, I’m still confused greatly about the teachings of the Church on the status of Mary. I understand that it is ok to pray to Mary and other saints for their intercession, to aid a Christian in their prayers to God like a trusted brother or sister. Yet when I look at the prayers which I will perform during my rosary, I have seen some prayers which seem a bit too odd to me, some prayers that make me feel like they’re describing Mary as a goddess, i.e the Memorare:

"Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.

Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me."

Or the Salve Regina:
"Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy,
our life, our sweetness, and our hope.
To you we cry, the children of Eve;
to you we send up our sighs,
mourning and weeping in this land of exile.

Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
your eyes of mercy toward us;
lead us home at last
and show us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus:
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. Amen."

What do you think? Please help me more in my quest of understanding the Church.👍
 
Dear Catholics, I’m a Protestant and have been like that my whole life, I was raised basically liberal and not until the in my later years that I became a Christian fundamentalist(in the bad way), I was told certain that now I know is not right(evolution is the work of the devil and all evolutionists are atheists, Catholics are idol worshipers and are going to hell, note that this is not how ALL Protestants act, but just a certain people)

Yet years later I began to understand more as I progress both scientifically and spiritually. I have come to understand lots of doctrines and teachings of the Church and I feel that it’s right, that somehow the Church can explain the Scripture better than my Protestant friends and pastors. Yet while I have understand most of the Church’s teachings, I’m still confused greatly about the teachings of the Church on the status of Mary. I understand that it is ok to pray to Mary and other saints for their intercession, to aid a Christian in their prayers to God like a trusted brother or sister. Yet when I look at the prayers which I will perform during my rosary, I have seen some prayers which seem a bit too odd to me, some prayers that make me feel like they’re describing Mary as a goddess, i.e the Memorare:

"Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.

Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me."

Or the Salve Regina:
"Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy,
our life, our sweetness, and our hope.
To you we cry, the children of Eve;
to you we send up our sighs,
mourning and weeping in this land of exile.

Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
your eyes of mercy toward us;
lead us home at last
and show us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus:
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. Amen."

What do you think? Please help me more in my quest of understanding the Church.👍
I think these words, very descriptive, and likely hyperbolic, grate harsely on those not involved in a devotion to Mary. On the surface they appear to be words of Godly worship, not saintly devotion.

These prayers, however, when properly understood, are valid ways of describing the honor due to Mary, the Mother of God and our spiritual mother.
 
But the Bible repeatedly tell and encourage us to go seek God in our best and worst moments. To ask everything in Jesus name, to seek for God in dark moments like David. Yet these verses seem like they’re coming toward a worshiper whose desire is to be with Mary and to plead her power for comfort and aid.
 
But the Bible repeatedly tell and encourage us to go seek God in our best and worst moments. To ask everything in Jesus name, to seek for God in dark moments like David. Yet these verses seem like they’re coming toward a worshiper whose desire is to be with Mary and to plead her power for comfort and aid.
How does devotion to Mary detract from any of this?
 
Dear Catholics, I’m a Protestant and have been like that my whole life, I was raised basically liberal and not until the in my later years that I became a Christian fundamentalist(in the bad way), I was told certain that now I know is not right(evolution is the work of the devil and all evolutionists are atheists, Catholics are idol worshipers and are going to hell, note that this is not how ALL Protestants act, but just a certain people)

Yet years later I began to understand more as I progress both scientifically and spiritually. I have come to understand lots of doctrines and teachings of the Church and I feel that it’s right, that somehow the Church can explain the Scripture better than my Protestant friends and pastors. Yet while I have understand most of the Church’s teachings, I’m still confused greatly about the teachings of the Church on the status of Mary. I understand that it is ok to pray to Mary and other saints for their intercession, to aid a Christian in their prayers to God like a trusted brother or sister. Yet when I look at the prayers which I will perform during my rosary, I have seen some prayers which seem a bit too odd to me, some prayers that make me feel like they’re describing Mary as a goddess, i.e the Memorare:

"Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.

Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me."

Or the Salve Regina:
"Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy,
our life, our sweetness, and our hope.
To you we cry, the children of Eve;
to you we send up our sighs,
mourning and weeping in this land of exile.

Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
your eyes of mercy toward us;
lead us home at last
and show us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus:
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. Amen."

What do you think? Please help me more in my quest of understanding the Church.👍
Well, first, if you have read the teachings of the Church, you know that we do not teach that Mary is a goddess – so nothing is to be understood in a manner that would make her such. Any words about her must be understood in a way wherein she remains a human person – the human person chosen to be the Mother of Our Lord.

Regarding the first prayer – the “Memorare”: Let’s look at the phrases that might be misunderstood by some.
  1. “never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.”
    This states our belief that Mary can hear our prayers requesting her intercession/help and will do all she can to aid us. She of course is in heaven where she can speak face to face with God, and desires ONLY His will. She would never seek anything contrary to His will.
  2. “my mother”
    As spiritual brothers/sisters of Jesus, Mary is also our mother in the spiritual realm.
  3. “to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful.”
    We humbly acknowledge our sinfulness and lack of any claim, if you will, to be worthy of receiving help from her, or from God, based on our merits.
  4. “O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me”
    Despite our unworthiness, we still ask her help in regards to interceding for our petitions.
Salve Regina
  1. "Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness, and our hope.
    She is the mother of Jesus (who is mercy, our life, our sweeness, and our hope).
    (Mary also is merciful. We are all called to be merciful.)
  2. “lead us home at last”
    ??? I’ve never heard this phrase before. Where did you get it from? We normally say “and after this our exile” (which means, after we die – when we leave earth)
If there are some troublesome phrases that I did not address, could you specify which ones.
Hope this helps.
 
When I hear/ pray the Memorare and the Slave Regina I do it asking Mary to lead me to a better relationship with her son.

The relationship of Mary to Jesus is shown at the Wedding at Cana when Mary was told by the servants that the people had run out of wine. Mary went to Jesus and said, “Woman, how does this affect me? My time has not yet come.” Mary then went back to the people and told them to do as Jesus says. This is a scriptural account of people going to Jesus through Mary. It is also the second Luminous Mystery of the rosary.

Another account of Jesus sending people to his mother is at his crucifixion. He said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son.” Then he said to John, “Behold, your mother.”

He gave his mother Mary to his disciples and to the world.

You missed a line at the end of the Salve Regina…

O Clement O Loving O Sweet Virgin Mary
Pray for us O holy Mother of God that we may made worthy of the promises of Christ. Amen.

When looked at with the last line it shows a better view of the intercessory nature of the prayer.
 
I just want to understand why Catholic Christians specify Mary as “Queen of Heaven” or any other titles. As I read online or on books, some claims make me think of Mary as if she’s a goddess like “Mary will do this or that…”, so what is the Catholic position on these claims? Like a part in the Memorare when it says: “that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection…” or “but in thy mercy hear and answer me.”, they seem like a praise which only seem to be appropriate to God.
 
I just want to understand why Catholic Christians specify Mary as “Queen of Heaven” or any other titles.
She is the Queen because she is the mother of the King - Jesus. In the OT it was the Queen mother who sat next to the king. 1 Kings 2:19 (Many wives, but only one mother – saved any problems with choosing one wife over the others!! :))
As I read online or on books, some claims make me think of Mary as if she’s a goddess like “Mary will do this or that…”, so what is the Catholic position on these claims? Like a part in the Memorare when it says: “that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection…” or “but in thy mercy hear and answer me.”, they seem like a praise which only seem to be appropriate to God.
Well, I already told you the Catholic position, we do not teach, claim or believe she is a goddess - and neither do we mean those words in a manner that is appropriate to God only. If the prayers bother you, don’t read them. I think part of the problem is that non-Catholics consider they can have spiritual relationships ONLY with Christians alive here on earth — that any relationship with another Christian (talking to them, asking for their prayers) must be severed the moment that person (excepting Jesus) physically dies. Now that seems strange to Catholics because we believe that all believers – believers on earth and believers in heaven – are part of the “body of Christ”, the communion of saints. We are family so to speak, and as such care about each other, even tho we are physically apart.
As an analogy: If you are in a family with many siblings, you know that talking to your brothers and sisters and with your mother in no way means you are putting them in the place of your father, or respecting him less.

Non-Catholics seem to be under the impression that we center our spiritual life around Mary. I’m not sure where this idea comes from. Our most important prayer is the Mass. Have you ever attended a Catholic Mass? If so, then you know that it is Our Lord who is central. If you haven’t, perhaps you should go and just observe.
 
Well, first, if you have read the teachings of the Church, you know that we do not teach that Mary is a goddess – so nothing is to be understood in a manner that would make her such. Any words about her must be understood in a way wherein she remains a human person – the human person chosen to be the Mother of Our Lord.

Regarding the first prayer – the “Memorare”: Let’s look at the phrases that might be misunderstood by some.
  1. “never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.”
    This states our belief that Mary can hear our prayers requesting her intercession/help and will do all she can to aid us. She of course is in heaven where she can speak face to face with God, and desires ONLY His will. She would never seek anything contrary to His will.
  2. “my mother”
    As spiritual brothers/sisters of Jesus, Mary is also our mother in the spiritual realm.
  3. “to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful.”
    We humbly acknowledge our sinfulness and lack of any claim, if you will, to be worthy of receiving help from her, or from God, based on our merits.
  4. “O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me”
    Despite our unworthiness, we still ask her help in regards to interceding for our petitions.
Salve Regina
  1. "Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness, and our hope.
    She is the mother of Jesus (who is mercy, our life, our sweeness, and our hope).
    (Mary also is merciful. We are all called to be merciful.)
  2. “lead us home at last”
    ??? I’ve never heard this phrase before. Where did you get it from? We normally say “and after this our exile” (which means, after we die – when we leave earth)
If there are some troublesome phrases that I did not address, could you specify which ones.
Hope this helps.
This is also how I was taught to understand itwhen I was a child in ccd.
 
I suggest you read Scott Hahn’s book Hail Holy Queen. He explains many of the same questions you have in great detail…It is a great book and will really give you a much better understanding (scripturally as well) of our Blessed Mother.
 
Devotion to Mary is a difficult thing for many who are converting from Protestantism. For me, as I was journeying into the Church, though I could believe with faith what the Church taught about Mary, it took me a while of living as a Catholic to deepen my understanding and really begin to appreciate Marian doctrine and the Catholic devotions to Mary. Part of this is how Protestants see Mary and part of this is a difference in language and culture - Catholic language in devotion to Mary and the saints, to Protestant-trained ears, can sound very flowery and bordering on giving undue praise or even worship.

Rest assured, as others have said, Catholics do not worship Mary. One thing I did as I started exploring Catholic devotion to Mary, I asked Jesus to introduce me to His Mother and to give me the grace of faith and understanding. After all, as was previously stated, Jesus gave us His Mother at the foot of the cross - He wants us to have a relationship with her. I then started praying the Rosary regularly.

I also second the suggestion to read Scott Hahn. When I started praying the Rosary for the first time, the description of his first experiences with the Rosary were parallel to my own and it helped answer many of my questions.

It took time and formation of my faith, but now I have a great devotion to Mary and I see how she leads me to her Son, which has deepened my faith and spiritual life immensely.
 
I agree w/ Mskejj … Scott Hahn’s book would be a great.

Also, FAITH has a lot to do w/ Catholics and Our Blessed Mother.

I have always felt sorry for Protestants who don’t know Our Mother.

Scott’s (former Protestant) will hopefully give you some insight.

How could it be wrong to honor Jesus’ Mother?:confused:
 
This is how I understand the Hail Holy Queen prayer:

***Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy!
Our life, our sweetness, and our hope!
*
**Mary is the mother of Jesus. Can we not attribute all of those attributes above to Jesus?

***To thee do we cry, poor banished
children of Eve, to thee do we send
up our sighs, mourning and weeping
in this valley, of tears.
Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
thine eyes of mercy toward us;

A little verbose, but to me this is asking Mary to pray for us.

***and
after this our exile show unto us the
blessed fruit of thy womb Jesus;

I liken this to me going to someone’s house and when I get there, the person who answers the door excitedly says let me show you the father of the house. I imagine Mary, along with everyone in heaven, would be excited when another soul arrives there, so all can worship God together.

O clement, O loving, O sweet virgin Mary.
A description of Mary.

***Pray for us, O holy Mother of God
That we may be made worthy of the
promises of Christ.

Again just asking for Mary to pray for us.

Hope this helps.
 
UofT,
Let’s back up a little bit. Part of the problem is the prayers themselves.

These two prayers in particular, though good, are very old. They originated hundreds of years ago in Europe. Making 15th and 17th century concepts of spirituality and piety one’s own is very difficult. It’s a stretch for sure, and to say this is no slight to the Blessed Mother. We Americans have no concept of what living under Kings and Queens means to a populace. We’ve never experienced it. It is not part of our lore. Not so in 15th and 17th century Europe. Outside the King, the Queen was the most elevated and important person in a country. Queens could intercede in political matters, they had juridical clout by virtue of their Queenship. This idea is totally foreign to most Americans and would in fact probably seem to represent a faulty judicial system based on personal preference instead of fact.

So the idea of Mary as a Queen in Heaven interceding and having mercy on souls strikes the normal American (and other moderns I’m sure) as something approaching Greek mythological characters. It’s that foreign to us. Especially, when these ideas seem to clash with scripture.

Also, the prose and poetry of 15th and 17th century Europe is another issue. Beautiful and acclaimed as it may be, it’s just difficult to read and comprehend from our modern perspective. And since these are prayers to the Queen of Heaven only the loftiest, most perfect prose will do - which is usually the most difficult to take in.

And now throw on top of this the great protestant hostility to all things Marian.

So we need to be certain of some things.
While the Blessed Mother is honored by the Church with the title Queen of Heaven, she is still 100% a creature, a creation of God. She is no more divine than you or I, more privileged by God’s design but still only a human person.

When reference is made to Mary having mercy it is in the sense that she pays attention to our prayers and does not ignore us and then intercedes on our behalf to God. But the Blessed Mother cannot forgive sins at all. She does not possess that type of mercy. The mercy of forgiving sins is Christ’s alone. It follows then that the Blessed Mother also does not render any final judgement. That too is exclusively Christ’s domain.

The mysterious activity of the Holy Spirit is also something that operates quite apart from the Blessed Mother.

There’s more but you get the idea.

Your difficulty is more of a multi-century generation gap issue with language and ideas than a truly theological one. You have already accepted the truth that - by God’s design - the Blessed Mother is indeed our spiritual mother as Christ said while hanging on the cross. You can indeed pray to her, ask her for help, depend on her, and expect all the things a son or daughter would expect from a loving, devoted, attentive, caring mother.

So worry not about idolatry, it is not occurring by the recitation of those prayers or participation in any approved Marian devotion.

I hope this helped.

PeterK
 
Dear Catholics, I’m a Protestant and have been like that my whole life, I was raised basically liberal and not until the in my later years that I became a Christian fundamentalist(in the bad way), I was told certain that now I know is not right(evolution is the work of the devil and all evolutionists are atheists, Catholics are idol worshipers and are going to hell, note that this is not how ALL Protestants act, but just a certain people)

Yet years later I began to understand more as I progress both scientifically and spiritually. I have come to understand lots of doctrines and teachings of the Church and I feel that it’s right, that somehow the Church can explain the Scripture better than my Protestant friends and pastors. Yet while I have understand most of the Church’s teachings, I’m still confused greatly about the teachings of the Church on the status of Mary. I understand that it is ok to pray to Mary and other saints for their intercession, to aid a Christian in their prayers to God like a trusted brother or sister. Yet when I look at the prayers which I will perform during my rosary, I have seen some prayers which seem a bit too odd to me, some prayers that make me feel like they’re describing Mary as a goddess, i.e the Memorare:

"Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.

Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me."

Or the Salve Regina:
"Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy,
our life, our sweetness, and our hope.
To you we cry, the children of Eve;
to you we send up our sighs,
mourning and weeping in this land of exile.

Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
your eyes of mercy toward us;
lead us home at last
and show us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus:
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. Amen."

What do you think? Please help me more in my quest of understanding the Church.👍
I was a catholic for 22 years. Once I read the Bible and compared it to the Catechism I developed many questions when it came to a lot of things especially Mary being immaculate, her being a co-redeener and being prayed to and worshipped. No where in the Bible does it state any of what the Catechism claims about her. I gound this very disturbing when Salvation only comes through Christ alone. Catholics say that salvation comes through Christ alone and then you read the Cathechism on Mary and it makes it more confusing. It’s complete double talk. The scripture says there is only one mediator between God and man and thats Christ Jesus. The Gospels and the Apostles writings mention nothing of this catholic claim of her being esteemed to the level Catholics take it to.
 
40.png
Gwaz4Christ:
I was a catholic for 22 years. Once I read the Bible and compared it to the Catechism I developed many questions when it came to a lot of things especially Mary being immaculate, her being a co-redeener and being prayed to and worshipped. No where in the Bible does it state any of what the Catechism claims about her. I gound this very disturbing when Salvation only comes through Christ alone. Catholics say that salvation comes through Christ alone and then you read the Cathechism on Mary and it makes it more confusing. It’s complete double talk. The scripture says there is only one mediator between God and man and thats Christ Jesus. The Gospels and the Apostles writings mention nothing of this catholic claim of her being esteemed to the level Catholics take it to.
Really? That’s funny because the Catechism I read is chalk full of Bible references and played a major factor in me returning to the Church.
Catholics do not worship Mary. If you knew the Catholic faith for 22 years you would know that.
You obviously weren’t paying attention.
 
40.png
Gwaz4Christ:
I was a catholic for 22 years. Once I read the Bible and compared it to the Catechism I developed many questions when it came to a lot of things especially Mary being immaculate, her being a co-redeener and being prayed to and worshipped. No where in the Bible does it state any of what the Catechism claims about her. I gound this very disturbing when Salvation only comes through Christ alone. Catholics say that salvation comes through Christ alone and then you read the Cathechism on Mary and it makes it more confusing. It’s complete double talk. The scripture says there is only one mediator between God and man and thats Christ Jesus. The Gospels and the Apostles writings mention nothing of this catholic claim of her being esteemed to the level Catholics take it to.
Mary is particularly honored because of the special greatness of the favors she received from God. She is what God made her, and as such we recognize her. All her graces on earth and her glory in heaven are celebrated relation to her unique privilege: her Divine Maternity. By reason of her unique supernatural excellence the special veneration which we pay to her is called “hyperdulia.”

In honoring her and the Saints of God the Church would have us celebrate with veneration their holiness which they owe to the merits of Jesus Christ: obtain their prayers - which avail only in so far as by the divine ordinance they intercede in virtue of the grace they have received from Christ the Head of the Mystical Body (take a look at what St. Paul has to say in this regard), and in view of His merits; and finally set before ourselves the example of their virtues, the exercise of which is due to the grace of God through which they were united to the Mystical Body, and so imitated the model of all virtues Jesus Christ himself. The veneration of the Saints is thus directed to the glory of God, who is wonderful in his Saints, and therefore in his Saints is duly honored.

So eminently reasonable is this practice, so perfectly in accord with the doctrine of the Mystical Body, that we are not surprised to find that from the earliest times Catholics have paid honor to the Saints.

With regard to the intercession of the Saints let it suffice to note with St. Thomas that “prayer may be offered to a person in two ways, either so that he himself may grant it, or that he may obtain the favor from another. In the first way we pray only to God, because all our prayers should be directed to obtaining grace and glory, which God alone gives, according to the Psalmist (83): ’ The Lord will give grace and glory.” But in the second way we pray to the angels and Saints, not that through them God may know our petitions, but that through their prayers and merits our petitions may be effective. Hence we read in Revelation 8:4 that. ‘the smoke of the incense of the prayers of the saints ascended up before God from the hand of the Angel.’ And this is manifest also from the method which the Church uses in praying; for we ask the Trinity to have mercy on us; but we ask the Saints to pray for us." (II, IIae, Q. lxxxiii, art. 4.) :highprayer:
 
The chief purpose of these prayers to Mary is to seek Mary’s help in growing our relationship with Christ in the course of our earthly sojourn.

To a person who is in desperate need, whose faith is weak, whose sins are great, whose spiritual life is faltering, who sees little hope for either this life or the next, these prayers are a great comfort and a great channel of grace. If a person has committed great sins against God, perhpas they are so fearful of God’s judgment that they are unable to pray to God in peace; so they turn to Mary and in dereliction of spirit ask her intercession with her Son, being confident that Mary will help them and that Jesus will grant Mary whatever she asks of Him. This kind of intercession is not offensive to God. In His great mercy God sees that sinners are terrified of Him, so He allows Mary and other faithful children of His to act as messengers and intercessors on behalf of sinners. All God wants is for sinners to repent and turn to Him and trust in His mercy. He is not concerned about His ego. If a sinner is too afraid to go to God but have the courage to go to Mary in hope of being reconciled to God, God would still warmly and heartily welcome them, through the channel of Mary.
 
Mary is the perfect example of what a Christian should be. Mary was the first disciple, the first ‘Christian’ if you will. Mary was chosen by God above all women. Mary obeyed God’s Will in all things, including saying the all important ‘Yes’ when asked to become the Mother of Jesus. She suffered greatly in that role, yet held fast no matter the cost to herself.

Mary was at the scene of the most important points in Jesus’ life.

Amongst the last words of Jesus, He gave his mother to the disciple he loved. “Woman, there is you son.” In turn he said to the disciple, “There is your mother.” In this way Christ also gives Mary to us, as our Mother.

Mary continued on amongst the Apostles (she is present as Pentecost) to carry out the mission Jesus left for them.

Not all teachings about Jesus, the Church, or Mary are in Scripture. Keep in mind that Paul states many times over that we are to hold fast to what is written and what was taught orally. The Holy Spirit came to reveal many things after Jesus’ death.

Many teachings about Mary are founded in Tradition of the Early Church. The Church that Jesus left to us, guided by the Spirit and bound on Earth and in Heaven. The folks who brought to you the New Testament!

The more you study all the things previously mentioned in other posts, the more will be revealed.

A little saying: No Mary, No Jesus… Know Mary, Know Jesus. Mary always points the way to her Son. She never has failed in that mission. She is our Perfect example.

Were it not the Will of God, the devotion to the Blessed Mother would not exist as it does.

Suggested reading: St. Louis de Montfort’s Way:
Total Consecration to Mary

fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html

The journey with Jesus is only enhanced by devotion to His Mother. May you find new pathways to holiness as you travel.

May Our Blessed Mother stand by your side and lead you to Her Son,

In the Sacred names of Jesus and Mary, Peace be with You.

Mary Teresa, OSSM
 
“Men do not fear a powerful hostile army as the powers of hell fear the name and protection of Mary.”
–St. Bonaventure

“To give worthy praise to the Lord’s mercy, we unite ourselves with Your Immaculate Mother, for then our hymn will be more pleasing to You, because She is chosen from among men and angels. Through Her, as through a pure crystal, Your mercy was passed on to us. Through Her, man became pleasing to God; Through Her, streams of grace flowed down upon us.” (1746)
–St. Faustina

“Mary, give me your Heart: so beautiful, so pure, so immaculate; your Heart so full of love and humility that I may be able to receive Jesus in the Bread of Life and love Him as you love Him and serve Him in the distressing guise of the poor.”
–Blessed Mother Teresa

“What a joy to remember that she [Mary] is our Mother! Since she loves us and knows our weakness, what have we to fear?”
–Saint Therese of Lisieux

“The world being unworthy to receive the Son of God directly from the hands of the Father, he gave his Son to Mary for the world to receive him from her.”
–Saint Augustine, Father and Doctor of the Church

“As mariners are guided into port by the shining of a star, so Christians are guided to heaven by Mary"
–Saint Thomas Aquinas, Doctor of the Church
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top