A
awfulthings9
Guest
Any suggestions for a good one?
I agree. But if you’re looking for print, then the BAGD is the way to go.e-Sword has the Westcott-Hort New Testament, the Greek New Testament (Majority Text) and the Textus Receptus available for free as downloads. e-sword.net/bibles.html
You know, I found out about e-Sword some time ago, but our dial-up kept me from downloading it. I remembered it just last night as I posted this thread and downloaded. For a free resource, it is remarkable. It is too bad there aren’t more Catholic commentaries and editions of the Bible available, but for my study of Greek, the auxilary downloads were wonderful.e-Sword has the Westcott-Hort New Testament, the Greek New Testament (Majority Text) and the Textus Receptus available for free as downloads. e-sword.net/bibles.html
Laudatur Iesus Christus.Any suggestions for a good one?
What’s the BAGD?I agree. But if you’re looking for print, then the BAGD is the way to go.
It’s also 125 dollars
But its definitions are very comprehensive, and includes references to other early Greek writings.
That’s an excellent link with a great variety. Thank you.
Laudatur Iesus Christus.I usually use a free online Lexicon and Interlinear tool from a protestant web page:
bible.crosswalk.com/
Under the “Bible Study Tools” it lists a Interlinear and Lexicon.
Oh, it is worth pointing out you dont want to use their Bible “Commentaries” which are in general thoroughly biased towards the Protestant side.Laudatur Iesus Christus.
Are you not concerned that a “protestant web page” is biased in a damaging way?
Just the constant effort of discerning the spirit and supplementing the perspective to be sure that doctrinal misdirection is not subconsciously woven into the tools would make such a choice too demanding for me. The skepticism needed would be daunting.
Spiritus Sapientiae nobiscum.
John Hiner
I will say that, while I would never shell out my precious and slim amount of book money for commentary from a different tradition, I had no problem loading many onto the e-sword program I downloaded. It would have been a dangerous thing for me some years ago when I was still an uncatechized Catholic. Now, though, having done apologetics and read Catholic theology long enough, I can sort out most of that. In the meantime, there is quite a bit that Protestant scholars have to say in the areas of agreement, especially in analysis of the OT. Even when I find myself in disagreement, I’ve usually learned something or deepened my understanding by reading Protestant commentary. Not disagreeing, though, as I would not recommend such commentary for friends or family who are still shaky in the Catholic teachings.Laudatur Iesus Christus.
Are you not concerned that a “protestant web page” is biased in a damaging way?
Just the constant effort of discerning the spirit and supplementing the perspective to be sure that doctrinal misdirection is not subconsciously woven into the tools would make such a choice too demanding for me. The skepticism needed would be daunting.
Spiritus Sapientiae nobiscum.
John Hiner
I downloaded e-sword as well, including some of the Protestant commentaries. I have actually posted some material from those commentaries here on the fora, usually with Catholic commentary as well, to show points that are in agreement. If somebody has a question on a Bible verse and the Catholic and Protestant commentaries agree on the meaning of the verse, I’ll post quotes from both.I will say that, while I would never shell out my precious and slim amount of book money for commentary from a different tradition, I had no problem loading many onto the e-sword program I downloaded. It would have been a dangerous thing for me some years ago when I was still an uncatechized Catholic. Now, though, having done apologetics and read Catholic theology long enough, I can sort out most of that. In the meantime, there is quite a bit that Protestant scholars have to say in the areas of agreement, especially in analysis of the OT. Even when I find myself in disagreement, I’ve usually learned something or deepened my understanding by reading Protestant commentary. Not disagreeing, though, as I would not recommend such commentary for friends or family who are still shaky in the Catholic teachings.