greek lexicon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter awfulthings9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
e-Sword has the Westcott-Hort New Testament, the Greek New Testament (Majority Text) and the Textus Receptus available for free as downloads. e-sword.net/bibles.html
I agree. But if you’re looking for print, then the BAGD is the way to go.

It’s also 125 dollars 😃

But its definitions are very comprehensive, and includes references to other early Greek writings.
 
e-Sword has the Westcott-Hort New Testament, the Greek New Testament (Majority Text) and the Textus Receptus available for free as downloads. e-sword.net/bibles.html
You know, I found out about e-Sword some time ago, but our dial-up kept me from downloading it. I remembered it just last night as I posted this thread and downloaded. For a free resource, it is remarkable. It is too bad there aren’t more Catholic commentaries and editions of the Bible available, but for my study of Greek, the auxilary downloads were wonderful.
 
Any suggestions for a good one?
Laudatur Iesus Christus.

I find the lexicon on Perseus most useful. One way to enter it is through the “morphology tool” at: perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/morphindex?lang=greek.

This lexicon is not limited to Scriptural definitions and so gives a broader context in which to understand words and their usage. It is often helpful to consider other ancient texts, if one is trying to grasp the literal meaning of terms.

Pax Christi nobiscum.

John Hiner
 
I’m currently using Liddell and Scott’s; An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon, published by Oxford University Press.
 
I agree. But if you’re looking for print, then the BAGD is the way to go.

It’s also 125 dollars 😃

But its definitions are very comprehensive, and includes references to other early Greek writings.
What’s the BAGD?
 
I usually use a free online Lexicon and Interlinear tool from a protestant web page:
bible.crosswalk.com/

Under the “Bible Study Tools” it lists a Interlinear and Lexicon.
 
I usually use a free online Lexicon and Interlinear tool from a protestant web page:
bible.crosswalk.com/

Under the “Bible Study Tools” it lists a Interlinear and Lexicon.
Laudatur Iesus Christus.

Are you not concerned that a “protestant web page” is biased in a damaging way?

Just the constant effort of discerning the spirit and supplementing the perspective to be sure that doctrinal misdirection is not subconsciously woven into the tools would make such a choice too demanding for me. The skepticism needed would be daunting.

Spiritus Sapientiae nobiscum.

John Hiner
 
Laudatur Iesus Christus.

Are you not concerned that a “protestant web page” is biased in a damaging way?

Just the constant effort of discerning the spirit and supplementing the perspective to be sure that doctrinal misdirection is not subconsciously woven into the tools would make such a choice too demanding for me. The skepticism needed would be daunting.

Spiritus Sapientiae nobiscum.

John Hiner
Oh, it is worth pointing out you dont want to use their Bible “Commentaries” which are in general thoroughly biased towards the Protestant side.

Other than that, the Lexicon and Interlinear shouldnt be a problem, I dont know greek but I have consulted them just to get an idea when certain words are used in Scripture.
 
Laudatur Iesus Christus.

Are you not concerned that a “protestant web page” is biased in a damaging way?

Just the constant effort of discerning the spirit and supplementing the perspective to be sure that doctrinal misdirection is not subconsciously woven into the tools would make such a choice too demanding for me. The skepticism needed would be daunting.

Spiritus Sapientiae nobiscum.

John Hiner
I will say that, while I would never shell out my precious and slim amount of book money for commentary from a different tradition, I had no problem loading many onto the e-sword program I downloaded. It would have been a dangerous thing for me some years ago when I was still an uncatechized Catholic. Now, though, having done apologetics and read Catholic theology long enough, I can sort out most of that. In the meantime, there is quite a bit that Protestant scholars have to say in the areas of agreement, especially in analysis of the OT. Even when I find myself in disagreement, I’ve usually learned something or deepened my understanding by reading Protestant commentary. Not disagreeing, though, as I would not recommend such commentary for friends or family who are still shaky in the Catholic teachings.
 
I will say that, while I would never shell out my precious and slim amount of book money for commentary from a different tradition, I had no problem loading many onto the e-sword program I downloaded. It would have been a dangerous thing for me some years ago when I was still an uncatechized Catholic. Now, though, having done apologetics and read Catholic theology long enough, I can sort out most of that. In the meantime, there is quite a bit that Protestant scholars have to say in the areas of agreement, especially in analysis of the OT. Even when I find myself in disagreement, I’ve usually learned something or deepened my understanding by reading Protestant commentary. Not disagreeing, though, as I would not recommend such commentary for friends or family who are still shaky in the Catholic teachings.
I downloaded e-sword as well, including some of the Protestant commentaries. I have actually posted some material from those commentaries here on the fora, usually with Catholic commentary as well, to show points that are in agreement. If somebody has a question on a Bible verse and the Catholic and Protestant commentaries agree on the meaning of the verse, I’ll post quotes from both.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top