• Thread starter Thread starter cheddarsox
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Marie:
…No Catholic I know of thinks any of the above as reguards Our Lady. :confused:
except those following the catechism…

[970](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/970.htm’)😉 "Mary’s function as mother of men in no way obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows its power. But the Blessed Virgin’s salutary influence on men . . . flows forth from the superabundance of the merits of Christ, rests on his mediation, depends entirely on it, and** draws all its power from it**."513 "No creature could ever be counted along with the Incarnate Word and Redeemer; but just as the priesthood of Christ is shared in various ways both by his ministers and the faithful, and as the one goodness of God is radiated in different ways among his creatures, so also the unique mediation of the Redeemer does not exclude but rather gives rise to a manifold cooperation which is but a sharing in this one source."514

Island Oak:
except those following the catechism…

[970](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/970.htm’)😉 "Mary’s function as mother of men in no way obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows its power. But the Blessed Virgin’s salutary influence on men . . . flows forth from the superabundance of the merits of Christ, rests on his mediation, depends entirely on it, and** draws all its power from it**."513 "No creature could ever be counted along with the Incarnate Word and Redeemer; but just as the priesthood of Christ is shared in various ways both by his ministers and the faithful, and as the one goodness of God is radiated in different ways among his creatures, so also the unique mediation of the Redeemer does not exclude but rather gives rise to a manifold cooperation which is but a sharing in this one source."514
You must be speed reading and missed his/her point… 😃

the poster was alluding to some Catholic’s think Mary is the source of power, not Christ.

I am a (relatively) new Catholic, and this whole Green Scapular thing is completely new to me. I am loving this discussion. I am also torn. I agree with each post!!! :eek: Then I read the next one that says the opposite, and I agree with that one too! I can truly see both sides, and I don’t know what to think.:confused: As an Evangelical, I was always warned about the superstition of Catholicism. But, now I see that miracles do occur, and that’s not necessarily superstition.

Hmmm… What to do? There are so many people whom I would love to see converted. I pray for them already. Could the Green Scapular boost my prayers in some way?

susie g:
Hmmm… What to do? There are so many people whom I would love to see converted. I pray for them already. Could the Green Scapular boost my prayers in some way?
Well, yes and no… 🙂 If you think it is some strange magic…probably not. If you understand God can and does use inanimatre objects, for healing…could be. 😃

40.png
Marie:
Well, yes and no… 🙂 If you think it is some strange magic…probably not. If you understand God can and does use inanimatre objects, for healing…could be. 😃
Nice post Marie. I like to think of the scapular like a relic from a saint that we would venerate ( kiss, touch, hold).

I wouldn’t like it if I found someone placed an occult object in my vicinity. Such an object would be a source of Satan. However, I would simply throw it out. I wouldn’t be upset about it.

However, I am a faithful Catholic and I believe that the Catholic faith is the fullness of truth and good. I would rather risk stepping on someone’s “free will” toes by hiding a scapular in their vicinity, and just maybe having them be introduced to our beautiful, faithful, holy Mother Mary who will lead them to our beautiful, loving, holy Savior Jesus.

Yes, I’d rather do that than think I might be offending them by hiding a religious object in their room, and have them never be converted to the Truth, Who sets them free.

susie g.:
I am a (relatively) new Catholic, and this whole Green Scapular thing is completely new to me. I am loving this discussion. I am also torn. I agree with each post!!! :eek: Then I read the next one that says the opposite, and I agree with that one too! I can truly see both sides, and I don’t know what to think.:confused: As an Evangelical, I was always warned about the superstition of Catholicism. But, now I see that miracles do occur, and that’s not necessarily superstition.

Here’s the bottom line for me (and note that I was/am one who clearly sees Cheddarsox’s concerns with the practice):

As with all claims about the faith, I seek the source of the reference.

Yes, it seemed odd that we’d be allowed to ‘hide’ the scapular as opposed to give it to someone or placing it visibly in the person’s proximity (still in the open, not covertly).

But when you read up on where we got the green scapular it then comes down to faith in Mary Our Mother.

Since the Catholic Church has validated the apparitions of Sister Justine as authentic, then we can (though we are not required to or obliged to) believe in the messages.

So, again, exercising my free will based on informed judgement, I take the position now as I do with all other teachings of the Church which don’t make sense to me:

I trust the source over my limited comprehension skills.

So I will be making three fabric covered picture frames this holiday season. In the stuffing between the fabric and the frame I will place a green scapular. I will have the frame hold a passage from Psalms which may subtly call the recipients ‘home’. Since my siblings are very scripture people now there is no reason they would not place the gift in their home, so I can then concentrate on saying the prayer associated with the scapular daily, trusting, as always, that Our Mother would never break a promise.

It still seems odd to me, but I accept that’s my own hangup…I’d rather set that aside and trust in Mary to help my siblings than hold back out of stubborness.

I must say, this thread has been most helpful. I am truly thankful for this forum and the wonderful posters who participate in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back