Guaranteed safety from hell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter non_existence
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

non_existence

Guest
Since hell is eternal extreme suffering, what can I do in order to achieve an absolutely 100% certain guarantee that I’ll never go to hell ?

If hell really does exist, then seeking protection from it is infinitely more important than any other activities or pursuits and therefore we must spend every single minute & second of our lives behaving in an “optimal” manner to keep increasing [and hopefully finally arriving at a ‘guarantee’] the probability of NOT going to hell. It is absolutely essential to figure out what ‘optimal’ behaviour really is, and how to implement into life without any mistakes.

Thank you.
 
Each day align your will to our loving God’s will. Follow the way of His son Jesus. Call upon the grace of the Holy Spirit to teach and strenghten you.
 
Since hell is eternal extreme suffering, what can I do in order to achieve an absolutely 100% certain guarantee that I’ll never go to hell ?
.
“Treat others as you want to be treated”. Matthew 7:12 and Luke 6:31
 
Since hell is eternal extreme suffering, what can I do in order to achieve an absolutely 100% certain guarantee that I’ll never go to hell ?

If hell really does exist, then seeking protection from it is infinitely more important than any other activities or pursuits and therefore we must spend every single minute & second of our lives behaving in an “optimal” manner to keep increasing [and hopefully finally arriving at a ‘guarantee’] the probability of NOT going to hell. It is absolutely essential to figure out what ‘optimal’ behaviour really is, and how to implement into life without any mistakes.

Thank you.
Pray every day, and be at peace at how much God loves you.
Put Him first above all things.
 
Since hell is eternal extreme suffering,
Is it? Where did you get that from?
what can I do in order to achieve an absolutely 100% certain guarantee that I’ll never go to hell ?
Your best. Nothing is certain.
If hell really does exist, then seeking protection from it is infinitely more important than any other activities or pursuits and therefore we must spend every single minute & second of our lives behaving in an “optimal” manner to keep increasing [and hopefully finally arriving at a ‘guarantee’] the probability of NOT going to hell. It is absolutely essential to figure out what ‘optimal’ behaviour really is, and how to implement into life without any mistakes.

Thank you.
**IV. HELL **
[1033](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/1033.htm’)😉 We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: "He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him."612 Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren.613 To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God’s merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called “hell.”
1034 Jesus often speaks of “Gehenna” of “the unquenchable fire” reserved for those who to the end of their lives refuse to believe and be converted, where both soul and body can be lost.614 Jesus solemnly proclaims that he "will send his angels, and they will gather . . . all evil doers, and throw them into the furnace of fire,"615 and that he will pronounce the condemnation: "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire!"616
[1035](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/1035.htm’)😉 The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire."617 The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.
[1036](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/1036.htm’)😉 The affirmations of Sacred Scripture and the teachings of the Church on the subject of hell are a call to the responsibility incumbent upon man to make use of his freedom in view of his eternal destiny. They are at the same time an urgent call to conversion: "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few."618
Since we know neither the day nor the hour, we should follow the advice of the Lord and watch constantly so that, when the single course of our earthly life is completed, we may merit to enter with him into the marriage feast and be numbered among the blessed, and not, like the wicked and slothful servants, be ordered to depart into the eternal fire, into the outer darkness where "men will weep and gnash their teeth."619

[1037](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/1037.htm’)😉 God predestines no one to go to hell;620 for this, a willful turning away from God (a mortal sin) is necessary, and persistence in it until the end. In the Eucharistic liturgy and in the daily prayers of her faithful, the Church implores the mercy of God, who does not want “any to perish, but all to come to repentance”:621
Father, accept this offering
from your whole family.
Grant us your peace in this life,
save us from final damnation,
and count us among those you have chosen.622
 
If we are living in the love of God we have no need to fear going to hell. Love of God and our neighbor is the key. If you love God and your neighbor you will not want to commit mortal sins.

Jesus, in his wisdom and mercy, set up the Sacraments of the Church to aid us in loving God as he deserves to be loved, especially in the Eucharist, and Reconciliation and Penance. If you are faithful in your intentions, God will see that and reward it.

What we don’t want to do is fall into the trap of seeing God as unfair or cruel, as the man with the one talent did. He hid his talent and told his master that his master was “a hard man” who demanded more than he gave. That’s not at all the case with our loving God. So, don’t believe that false notion, but rather put your trust in the love and mercy of God.
 
Pray the Our Father sincerely every morning and evening and ask for the grace to conform yourself to God’s will, and cooperate with that grace, which you will surely receive. Love God and love your neighbor.
 
Saving your skin at all costs is a starting point, but it is of course not the end point of your journey. In fact, if you persist in thinking above all else to save yourself, that’s pretty much a guarantee that you won’t. But to answer your question:

“Love God and do as you will.”

–St. Augustine
 
Having pondered this question before, I found an answer in Scripture that seems very relevant, direct, and complete.

“Do not condemn and you will not be condemned.”

“If you forgive the sins of others, your heavenly Father will forgive you yours. If you do not forgive the sins of others, your heavenly father will not forgive you yours.”

“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy”

Read the parable of the unforgiving servant. It says the same thing.

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged.”

The only way to get to hell is to send people there ourselves and then do the same thing we sent them there for.

(Those are my words, not found in scripture but I think they say the same thing.)

Two things to consider: 1) sometimes it is very difficult to not stand in judgement of people who are doing what we also do.
2) there are very good reasons to follow God’s commandments besides the possibility of eternal damnation if we don’t

peace - living in constant fear of hell is only a little better than actually being there. Know that God’s forgiveness is available to anyone that practices forgiveness.

Jim
 
In fact, if you persist in thinking above all else to save yourself, that’s pretty much a guarantee that you won’t
Why exactly is that?

I want to avoid future suffering at all costs, therefore I practice very strict moral discipline, generosity, compassion & forgiveness, which will then (according to you) guarantee the exact opposite of my intended goal ?
 
Why exactly is that?

I want to avoid future suffering at all costs, therefore I practice very strict moral discipline, generosity, compassion & forgiveness, which will then (according to you) guarantee the exact opposite of my intended goal ?
I believe VociMike may be alluding to the selfishness required to always be concerned only about your own soul and your own salvation. If you are always being generous, compassionate, and forgiving only because of the benefit to you and your own soul, then you aren’t anything more than self-centered.

I am no theologian, but as a Catholic I believe my sole vocation is to be one with God. 1John 4 states that God is love. If you are doing all you say you are doing for the love of God, to make real the love of God for othes, then you are growing closer to God.

Ultimately, the question is, what is your motivation?

I also wonder why you are so worried about hell in the first place? Are you Catholic? Christian? Anything in particular? Have you done something that is separating you from God and from others? (sin)

You are in my prayers.
 
If you are always being generous, compassionate, and forgiving only because of the benefit to you and your own soul, then you aren’t anything more than self-centered.
This is the experiential paradox I’m trying to resolve. I think human consciousness is complex & interesting enough to admit several different qualities at the same time which, if you abstract them down into the convention of language will appear as a contradiction. So I think it’s possible to have elements of both compassion & selfishness mixed together.

Also, if I benefit others such as helping homeless people then all those who are benefited don’t know or care about my own original intention, they only receive the actual tangible, physical benefits. So if I’m performing the same beneficial action, with the same beneficial results from the perspective of others, then why does my original intention even matter ?

That is, if we examine the 3 variables: intention, action, results. Then if the action & results are held constant, then the original intention is meaningless. Intention is only meaningful to the degree to which it influences the chosen action & results you perform, if it doesn’t change the action & results then why would God or anyone care about it ?
Ultimately, the question is, what is your motivation?
I don’t fully know what my actual motivation is because I lack sufficient self-awareness. If I gave you any specific answer to this question I’m afriad it might be contaminated with self-deception.
I also wonder why you are so worried about hell in the first place? Are you Catholic? Christian? Anything in particular?
How would I NOT be worried about hell ?!

-this current physical life is finite
-hell is infinite [eternal]
-hell is extreme suffering

So I wonder why doesn’t everyone worry about hell ?
It doesn’t matter what religion you are, hell is essentially the same for everyone isn’t it ?
 
Why exactly is that?

I want to avoid future suffering at all costs, therefore I practice very strict moral discipline, generosity, compassion & forgiveness, which will then (according to you) guarantee the exact opposite of my intended goal ?
Do you believe in God?
 
Quick couple of questions…

How many people did you PM before you posted this thread?
Now that you are a Catholic have you found any conflict with the eclectic path you have been on as indicated by the collection on your homepage?

Let me give you the soundest advice I can. Being Christian (Catholic) means submitting to being taught. Firstly by the Rabbi (Jesus himself)) and (now that he has ascended and His Holy Spirit has descended) by his teaching authority on earth…the Magisterium of the Holy Catholic Church.
This crucial disposition was identified by St. Anthony of Padua as the first degree of humility…in other words Kindergarten. There are 8 degrees of humility he identified after that!
If you want to talk virtue in a word…Humility…the mother of all virtue as Pride is to vice.
After you meditate on humility, check the Catechism on the 3 theological virtues, from which spring all other virtue.

Faith…to believe what has been revealed.
Hope…to trust in His promises.
Charity…to love God and fellow man with your greatest gift…your will.

One of the greatest errors of Protestant Christianity is that they replace the theological virtue of Hope with the sin of presumption.They want that 100% guarantee. Sadly this error is connected to the pride that will not accept a teaching authority. We have to ‘work out our salvation in fear and trembling’…yes…but the counterbalance is hope and trust.

If you’ve got the nerve I’d delete your assembled page of ‘free-thinkers’ and turn up to class (figuratively speaking) with a new biro and a fresh pad. Free-thinking is overrated.
There is so little to speculate on really, as the absolute truth has summarily been revealed, expounded upon and proven by the lives of the saints. We have more than enough to be digested in our alotted time on earth, that we can know with absolute certainty. What a gift!
The greatest mind who ever lived was argueably St.Thomas Aquinas. After writing his Summa Theologica (the sum of all theology) the Lord complimented him that he had “written well of Him” and granted him a glimpse of the Kingdom. Thomas dropped his pen and wrote no more. Thomas exclaimed that all he had written was nought but straw compared with that little glimpse.
We are going to get more than a little glimpse…we will have our vision so fortified that we will be able to gaze apon the face of God for all eternity. I think it is healthier to consider your eternal fate in the light of not missing out on that, rather than focussing on avoiding the punishment of eternal fire. Actually the Church and the saints have always taught that the greatest torment for the damned is knowing that they will never see the face of God.

Finally…never snatch, probe or grab at the Truth…it is not our right. Our position should always be one of receptivity…as one receiving a gift.

P.S. I’m a little concerned about your nihilistic user-name. It doesn’t portend well for a straight path forward.
 
I, too, received a private message from this person who claims to be a new Catholic concerned about assurance of salvation. Here was my response:

Your question is similar to that asked by the people in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost. In Acts 2, we read:

“Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

I could also remind you of the very basic John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

You probably know all this since you would have discussed it in your Catechism classes over the past year or so prior to being received into the Church by the Bishop or Priest who heard your confession, baptized you, confirmed you into the Church and gave you your first Holy Communion. I am a convert to the Catholic Church myself, so I understand how excited you must be to finally be saved!

Speaking of Holy Communion, let me now ask you a question: why did the people who had been following Jesus abandon Him (cf John 6:66) after He spoke the following:

Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.” (John 6:53-54)

Have a blessed day!
 
Why exactly is that?

I want to avoid future suffering at all costs, therefore I practice very strict moral discipline, generosity, compassion & forgiveness, which will then (according to you) guarantee the exact opposite of my intended goal ?
“For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my sake, he will save it.”

“If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.”

“On that day many will say to me, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.’”

The problem you may have is a single-minded focus on saving yourself, which may prevent you from achieving the two greatest commandments, to love God and to love your neighbor as yourself. If you view all your moral acts, and those whom you do them for, as simply means to and end, you are not living a life of self-giving love which is the life of God, and which God calls each of us to do. In fact, you are only using others for your own ends, which is the exact opposite of loving your neighbor as yourself.
 
Each day align your will to our loving God’s will. Follow the way of His son Jesus. Call upon the grace of the Holy Spirit to teach and strenghten you.
Completely right, mix with prostitutes, sinners, the sick and the poor, forgive them, heal them and give them bread, give away all your possessions to the poor, this way, you will live like Jesus, and no fear for hell is needed :cool: .
 
Since hell is eternal extreme suffering, what can I do in order to achieve an absolutely 100% certain guarantee that I’ll never go to hell ?
Paul while in jail is asked basically that same question.

Acts 16:29 The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 He then brought them out and asked, **“Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” **31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved–you and your household.”

Rom 10:8…
“The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9 **That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. **10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11 As the Scripture says, **“Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.” **
 
Paul while in jail is asked basically that same question.

Acts 16:29 The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 He then brought them out and asked, **“Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” **31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved–you and your household.”

Rom 10:8…
“The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9 **That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. **10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11 As the Scripture says, **“Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.” **
Believing in itself is not enough. That smacks of once saved always saved which of course is nonsense.
 
Since hell is eternal extreme suffering, what can I do in order to achieve an absolutely 100% certain guarantee that I’ll never go to hell ?

If hell really does exist, then seeking protection from it is infinitely more important than any other activities or pursuits and therefore we must spend every single minute & second of our lives behaving in an “optimal” manner to keep increasing [and hopefully finally arriving at a ‘guarantee’] the probability of NOT going to hell. It is absolutely essential to figure out what ‘optimal’ behaviour really is, and how to implement into life without any mistakes.

Thank you.
My friend, please don’t kid yourself HELL does exist! if you are worried about it I suggest you learn to have a faith that is a saving faith in our Lord and Saviour…
In order for faith to be saving faith, it must have the proper content ( conviction of sin, trust in God and Jesus Christ as savior) and it must be God-given (Rom. 12:3,6; Gal. 3:23; Eph. 2:8), residing in a regenerate heart ( Rom. 10:8-10). Trust in God and Jesus Christ as Saviour doesn’t mean “believing you can put yourself in better standings by doing good works”.
HE did it all for US. Not us for him.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top