Gulf stream slows down

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lisa4Catholics
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
walstan:
No problem, according to “the Man from the Khoran” you won’t be there anyway.😃
Not to worry – we live through at least one major prediction of doom a month.
 
vern humphrey:
So what’s your solution? Can we reverse global warming? If so, how?
I don’t think we can reverse what has already happened, but we can reasonably mitigate what might happen if we take action now. To curtail the greenhouse effect, we need to lessen our emission of greenhouse gases. It’s that simple. That means especially reducing use of fossil fuels, from gas-guzzling cars to coal-burning power plants. If anyone cares, there was a very good three-part article on the topic recently in the New Yorker. It’s an important issue, and we as a society can’t continue to be nonchalant about it.
 
40.png
norbert:
I don’t think we can reverse what has already happened, but we can reasonably mitigate what might happen if we take action now. To curtail the greenhouse effect, we need to lessen our emission of greenhouse gases. It’s that simple. That means especially reducing use of fossil fuels, from gas-guzzling cars to coal-burning power plants. If anyone cares, there was a very good three-part article on the topic recently in the New Yorker. It’s an important issue, and we as a society can’t continue to be nonchalant about it.
Riiiight. We should cripple ourselves economically, put ourselves in a position where we can neither cope with the negative effects nor capitalize on the positive effects.
 
40.png
norbert:
To curtail the greenhouse effect, we need to lessen our emission of greenhouse gases. It’s that simple. That means especially reducing use of fossil fuels, from gas-guzzling cars to coal-burning power plants.
Still the question lingeres, how?
Or how much? The EPA increases standars every year. The fuel economy on cars has improved. WhiteDove drives a mincooper.

People still must ro to work, school and shopping. Houses must still be heated.
 
40.png
pnewton:
Still the question lingeres, how?
Or how much? The EPA increases standars every year. The fuel economy on cars has improved. WhiteDove drives a mincooper.

People still must ro to work, school and shopping. Houses must still be heated.
If the global warming continues, the earth will be more fertile, growing seasons will be longer, and we will be able to switch to bio-fuels. That’s assuming we haven’t strangled ourselves trying to stop the unstoppable.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon12.gif
 
I love to make rash statements on the Wichita Eagle Opinion Line, a really fun (and the most read) feature in our local newspaper.

Sometimes I call in one day and if they print it I call in after that and contradict myself. Other times I say outrageous things I don’t even believe just to tweak others. Sometimes I say things against my own side but carefully word it so it will sound like a typical characture. 😃 That way I can add fuel to the fire which can be entertaining especially on some of the big hot button topics around here like evolution and creation!

Anyway, this last winter we had an incredible ice storm in Wichita that shut off our electric power for a week. Streets were closed all over town, electric poles down, in some places great trees were destroyed. It was really weird; we are used to tornados but not this.

I called into the Opinion Line, “It’s too bad global warming is a myth; we could use some of it about now” and other provocative comments. I also called in one something like “As long as Bush and his Republican sycophants refuse to sign the Kyoto Treaty, we can look for more unpredictable effects in the climate.”

For those who are always “serious” about things, maybe you should try it. It’s a scream, and your comments can influence thousands of citizens – as I mentioned, the Opinion Line is the most widely read feature in our newspaper. No speech is as free as anonymous speech! 🙂

Alan
 
40.png
AlanFromWichita:
I love to make rash statements on the Wichita Eagle Opinion Line, a really fun (and the most read) feature in our local newspaper.

Sometimes I call in one day and if they print it I call in after that and contradict myself. Other times I say outrageous things I don’t even believe just to tweak others. Sometimes I say things against my own side but carefully word it so it will sound like a typical characture. 😃 That way I can add fuel to the fire which can be entertaining especially on some of the big hot button topics around here like evolution and creation!

Anyway, this last winter we had an incredible ice storm in Wichita that shut off our electric power for a week. Streets were closed all over town, electric poles down, in some places great trees were destroyed. It was really weird; we are used to tornados but not this.

I called into the Opinion Line, “It’s too bad global warming is a myth; we could use some of it about now” and other provocative comments. I also called in one something like “As long as Bush and his Republican sycophants refuse to sign the Kyoto Treaty, we can look for more unpredictable effects in the climate.”

For those who are always “serious” about things, maybe you should try it. It’s a scream, and your comments can influence thousands of citizens – as I mentioned, the Opinion Line is the most widely read feature in our newspaper. No speech is as free as anonymous speech! 🙂

Alan
Making jokes about serious issues is great!!!
 
vern humphrey:
Riiiight. We should cripple ourselves economically, put ourselves in a position where we can neither cope with the negative effects nor capitalize on the positive effects.
I know “sacrifice” is a hard thing for people in this day to understand, but some sacrifice may be needed if we really want to address this issue. Think of your kids or grandkids, vern, not just yourself and your SUV.
 
40.png
norbert:
I know “sacrifice” is a hard thing for people in this day to understand, but some sacrifice may be needed if we really want to address this issue. Think of your kids or grandkids, vern, not just yourself and your SUV.
Alright, norbert lay off the nastiness. You make some very valid points, but the nastiness turns people off. You have no right to judge his heart.
 
40.png
norbert:
Think of your kids or grandkids, vern, not just yourself and your SUV.
Do not judge people too harshly. Some people need the larger vehicles due to family size. We are Catholic, afterall, and we do not believe in all that zero replacement family planning garbage.

You can’t very well strap the 4th and 5th kid to the hood of your minicooper.
 
40.png
pnewton:
Do not judge people too harshly. Some people need the larger vehicles due to family size. We are Catholic, afterall, and we do not believe in all that zero replacement family planning garbage.

You can’t very well strap the 4th and 5th kid to the hood of your minicooper.
My wife is a Registered Nurse. She works at nursing homes in the area, and also Home Health Care. We live 3.6 miles down a county road (all dirt), 0.6 miles down a common road (shared with one other family) and a quarter mile down our own road. During the rainy seasonb, she needs four-wheel drive.

To reach some of her patients, she has to cross a “low-water bridge” (a slab of concrete in the creek.) I know of at least one incident where a car crossing at this point was swept away and wound up more than a hundred yards down the creek.

Many of her patients live in spots that are harder to reach than our place.

Yes. She drives an SUV. Do people expect her to ride a mule?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top