F
friardchips
Guest
Thank you!
We donāt have to say it. As simple as that. Some people go over board in their devotions and thatās their personal thing. I pray to Christ, to the Father and the Holy Spirit. To the Holy Spirit a lot. I also ask for help to Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Judas Thaddeus, St. Padre Pio, and now St. John Paul II. In that order.What shall one do if he would be far too uncomfortable taking part in such sayings?
This is one thing thatās kept me out of the CC.
Was just reading over threads and posts and came back to this again.No one did the will of God more perfectly than Mary did. Unlike Abraham, she was forced to silently watch her own beloved Son suffer and die the most horrific death we could ever imagine, because she knew that it was the will of God. She knew that it was necessary for the salvation of all mankind. That didnāt make it any easier for her to bear, witnessing the whole ordeal. No other human being on earth has ever sacrificed as much as she did for God.
Thatās an excellent point! It is fairly clear in the Gospels that Jesus knew about some of the things that would happen to Him from the prophecies written about Him in scripture (and Mary most likely did, too), even if He didnāt know all of the details. I didnāt really think about His remarks in this situation being prophetic, but itās easy to see that they could be interpreted that way. There were many other times when Jesus gave His disciples hints about what would happen to Him, and to them (āMatthew 20:18 Behold we go up to Jerusalem,ā¦ā, āMatthew 26:34 Amen I say to thee, that in this night before the cock crow, thou wilt deny me thrice.ā, etc.), so this being one of those occasions is a good possibility.Was just reading over threads and posts and came back to this again.
Just wondering, if you happen to come back to this thread, whether your thinking is that the True Family of Jesus account in Matthew is actually a prophecy from Jesusā lips, as he emotionally looks into the future at His own crucifixion; He has to give up everything - family, and especially His mother whom He brings to our attention and loves* so much *- and is aware that His mother, as you mentioned, is going to have to give Him up, her son, her everything, as the faithful disciple is asked to do in these two accounts?
I donāt think Iāve ever noticed a link to the crucifixion or viewed it as a prophecy and could never understand why it was that Matthewās account seemed colder than Lukeās - which seems to acknowledge Mary - and almost disdainful.
So, thank you again Telstar, sincerely, for bringing warmth and enlightenment to my understanding of this passage in Matthew. And to dronald for raising important matters! It has been a pilgrimage of faith!
God bless![]()
It certainly is, and He most certainly does!Itās amazing how the Holy Ghost works through all of us as we continue to study scripture, isnāt it? I had never thought about this lesson reflecting Abraham and Isaac before, either. It just popped into my head as I was writing my post, and it made perfect sense that it really was connected. God definitely works in mysterious ways!![]()
So please ignore my post quoted here, this is completely wrong, and has nothing to do with āTrue Family of Jesusāā¦Just wondering, if you happen to come back to this thread, whether your thinking is that the True Family of Jesus account in Matthew is actually a prophecy from Jesusā lips, as he emotionally looks into the future at His own crucifixion; He has to give up everything - family, and especially His mother whom He brings to our attention and loves* so much *- and is aware that His mother, as you mentioned, is going to have to give Him up, her son, her everything, as the faithful disciple is asked to do in these two accounts?
Donāt pray to Mary. Pray directly to Jesus if you are more comfortable. No one should ever lose the Church on the basis of the intercession of the saints, even Mary. You miss a lot in ignoring this tradition, however you should realise that Catholicism is centered only in Jesus in the Holy Trinity of God, not His saints. Mary would expect nothing less as everything she did she did for Jesus and His Church.What shall one do if he would be far too uncomfortable taking part in such sayings?
This is one thing thatās kept me out of the CC.
It should be stated though that, as Catholics, we must assent to the communion of the saints and when the Confiteor is said at Mass we are indeed asking for intercession from the Blessed Mother, angels and saints (as well as each other).Donāt pray to Mary. Pray directly to Jesus if you are more comfortable. No one should ever lose the Church on the basis of the intercession of the saints, even Mary. You miss a lot in ignoring this tradition, however you should realise that Catholicism is centered only in Jesus in the Holy Trinity of God, not His saints. Mary would expect nothing less as everything she did she did for Jesus and His Church.
Right, but as far as dronald has mentioned (at least in this thread), itās not intercessory prayer to the saints thatās bothering him, but devotion to Mary.It should be stated though that, as Catholics, we must assent to the communion of the saints and when the Confiteor is said at Mass we are indeed asking for intercession from the Blessed Mother, angels and saints (as well as each other).
Dronald, Iām a bit confused by this. The āHail Holy Queenā isnāt part of any of the rituals of the Church: itās not in the Mass, itās not part of any of the sacramental rituals.I canāt imagine attending a Church consistently and never being able to take part in their rituals.
Your problem is not really with the Virgin Mary. It is with Sanctifying Grace. You are unable to wrap your head around the fact that by the Life, Death and Resurrection of Jesus, we have not only been saved and justified, but we have also been given the ABILITY to MERIT further Grace. This doctrine is taught by St. Paul in his letters. We have been GIVEN GRACE to MERIT still more Grace. This is the whole foundation of Mariology.I love and respect Mary, Peter, Paul, Ignatius, my mother, etc as well. I just canāt wrap my head around saying the words said that have been quoted by the OP. I simply cannot do it.
To suggest that anyone could become lost by trying to come to terms with various gifts of love that God has given for us to accept, especially to suggest that one could become lost during oneās apparent fear-filled journey of discovery about Mary, is like saying: trust in your own mistrust, and give up on your family. For example, some may not completely agree with the Pope on everything but we are still asked to be obedient and to support him. How much more are we asked to love the Mother of God?Donāt pray to Mary. Pray directly to Jesus if you are more comfortable. No one should ever lose the Church on the basis of the intercession of the saints, even Mary.
Our Ladyās role is not just tradition, it stems from Holy Scripture. Jesus had reasons for saying ALL the things He said and did.You miss a lot in ignoring this tradition, however you should realise that Catholicism is centered only in Jesus in the Holy Trinity of God, not His saints.
Yes, true. But does not a Mother want her children to love her? If Jesus offers His own Mother to us, is it not ungracious to accept the gift? How else does one show love to His Blessed Mother, other than to pray to her?Mary would expect nothing less as everything she did she did for Jesus and His Church.
Petaro, just to add, this is actually a really lovely way of expressing love for Mary, lovely words, but your sentiment also sums up why we should encourage whole-hearted love for our Blessed Mother tooā¦everything she [Mary] did she did for Jesus and His Church.
I have been admonished by posts suggesting that my advice to you surrenders too much of our Catholic faith that is centered in Christ, but through His word and teaching also opens up an avenue of love for His mother, (whom I cherish) and His saints whose lives are examples to us on a very weary road. They are right of course, however I was trying to get you over your first hurdle, the specific words of the prayer.I love Mary, but I cannot speak to her as Catholics do. Thatās about all.
Itās too rough on my conscience.
Indeed, and so does this prayer. I did an analysis of Scripture a while back, and came up with the Biblical basis, line by line, for this prayer:Our Ladyās role is not just tradition, it stems from Holy Scripture.
I have never been much of a āMary guyā myself; and the only time I have ever said that prayer is for a rosary. And I donāt pray the rosary often.What shall one do if he would be far too uncomfortable taking part in such sayings?
This is one thing thatās kept me out of the CC.
Yeah, itās a big one for sure. There are other little things I observed while attending Mass that guaranteed I would feel out of place at a Catholic Church that I wonāt go in to.I have never been much of a āMary guyā myself; and the only time I have ever said that prayer is for a rosary. And I donāt pray the rosary often.
My wife had a similar issue with that same prayer, but thanks to a very patient, knowledgeable, and kind priest who took the time to go through the prayer with her word-by-word; she was able to understand the prayer far better.
Have you considered making an appointment with a priest to discuss your reservations, dronald? You say this is one thing that has kept you from entering the Church; yet youāre still visiting us on a regular basis. So, thereās SOMETHING thatās keeping you close. As I said before, Mariology isnāt my bag - and I have been Catholic my entire life.
As I said, talk to a priest and get your explanations from the horseās mouth. Good luck, dronald!
Please show me a quote in the Catechism or by any Catholic on this site who advocates putting Mary above God. Catholics understand that Jesus is the only way to the Father. Getting accused of putting the Blessed Mother above our Lord is really getting tiringā¦I believe itās also to show that we must love God more than anyone or anything. Another example:
Matthew 10:37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
We must love Jesus more than anyone, including Mary.
Yes, I assume it would be tiring if others and myself were doing so. I canāt speak for others, but I did no such thing.Please show me a quote in the Catechism or by any Catholic on this site who advocates putting Mary above God. Catholics understand that Jesus is the only way to the Father. Getting accused of putting the Blessed Mother above our Lord is really getting tiringā¦
This is very unfortunate, because really itās a question of changes in how we use the language. Used to be that we used very flowery poetic language; now we are instructed to make our writing practically skeletal in comparison
Consider that a mother can honestly say to her husband: You are my life! But she can also equally honestly say it to each of her children as well!
This is the thing about love: it can stretch infinitely. Words cannot express the totallity of our love. I love each of my children totally, and if I had enough, I would live him or her just as much!
Christ is our Lord and Savior, the Alpha and the Omega, so what we experience in relation to God is the highest. But our loving God does not preclude our loving our spouses, our parents, etc. Our love for God actually makes our love for them better!
Itās a conundrum: the more we love, the more love we have to love with.
I hope this helps![]()