Hallmark will now feature LGBTQ stories in Christmas movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

signit

New member
From CNN:

article
(CNN)When the Hallmark Channel holiday movies air later this year, the annual “Countdown to Christmas” and “Miracles of Christmas” lineups will include LGBTQ narratives.

The holiday season will bring 40 new movies but the ones with LGBTQ storylines are making headlines right now. Producers say they are in “active negotiations” and that “more details” are on the way.

The announcement came days after the channel was bombarded with online criticism for teasing a slate of new Christmas movies that appeared to lack LGBTQ inclusion.

Hallmark responded to frustrated viewers by assuring them that new content will reflect their demands for better LGBTQ representation.

[edit]

LGBTQ audiences have long been urging Hallmark to adopt diversity and inclusion initiatives. In fact, the channel sparked heavy backlash from viewers in December for pulling four commercials featuring same-sex weddings.

The Hallmark Channel apologized and reversed the decision. President and CEO Mike Perry came forward saying it was “the wrong decision” in a statement at the time.
 
Hallmark had an advertisement in which a gay couple was pictured. Some people got offended threatened boycott. Hallmark edited the advertisement to remove the couple. Some people got offended at the removal and threatened a boycott. So Hallmark apologized for the removal and settled on inclusion of LGBTQ.
40.png
YouTube bans insults based on race, gender expression and sexual orientation World News
This is coming from the opposite end; where it is the advertisement that is getting complaints instead of the primary video content. But I think still related. An advertisement showed two women kissing each other on the Hallmark channel. In response an organization known as “One Million Moms” complained to the Hallmark channel and were able to get the ad pulled. Hallmark is reported to have removed the ads because they were considered controversial. It may be the case that people generally…
 
Last edited:
Hallmark had an advertisement in which a gay couple was pictured. Some people got offended threatened boycott. Hallmark edited the advertisement to remove the couple. Some people got offended at the removal and threatened a boycott.
The point being,
Decide who your audience is. Don’t waiver back and forth. Don’t apologize for your decision, and don’t buckle to the cancel mob.

If Hallmark does these kinds of stories, they should expect some people to tune in, and others to tune out.
 
Decide who your audience is.
I would not be surprised if someone did a market analysis and figured they could make more money staying in support of LGBTQ.
and don’t buckle to the cancel mob.
Might be mobs (plural) in this case, as they had threats of boycott from those against LGBTQ representation and from those that were against the removal of LGBTQ representation.
 
Viewers still have the power of their remotes–or as us old folks say, “the clicker”.
I just got a new remote last week, and it makes a very satisfying clicking sound. It now occurs to me that I’m not sure whether it’s the remote itself that makes the clicking sound or if the sound comes out of the TV in sync with when I press the buttons…
 
Are you old enough to remember the “Hallmark Hall of Fame” movies that used to be on network television back in the 70s and 80s?

They were film adaptation of literary works, like Shakespeare, Faulkner, Dickens…

*sigh
 
I just got a new remote last week, and it makes a very satisfying clicking sound. It now occurs to me that I’m not sure whether it’s the remote itself that makes the clicking sound or if the sound comes out of the TV in sync with when I press the buttons…
I hadn’t paid attention, but now that you mention it, the click sound for my remote is generated by the TV. It’s audio feedback I never paid attention to. It just felt natural.

Reminds me of how some cars use a speaker to emit fake engine noise.
 
Or the cell phone camera has an analog camera noise when you take a pic.
 
Or the cell phone camera has an analog camera noise when you take a pic.
I forgot about that. I muted that and turned off the flash. In some countries though that can’t be disabled. Not only is it feedback for the owner, it is to announce to those in the vicinity a picture is being taken. Cuts back on people taking pictures of subjects without their knowledge.
 
I would not be surprised if someone did a market analysis and figured they could make more money staying in support of LGBTQ.
That’s what I would expect them to do.
Might be mob s (plural) in this case, as they had threats of boycott from those against LGBTQ representation and from those that were against the removal of LGBTQ representation.
And that’s rare. Gay relationships are all over network television. Have their ratings declined?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top