Happy NFL Everyone!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Booter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Booter

Guest
I post this in family life because one of the things I love doing with my family is watching the New York Giants on Sundays. So, in this otherwise depressing economic time I’d like to wish everyone a happy football season. Attached is a poll asking for your favorite team. I picked 9 “popular” teams and other. I limit this thread to the pros but happy NCAA football as well. For our international CAF members this is American football not futbol/soccer 😃
 
Well yes it is Football season, but it is also pennant race time. I can’t stand that ESPN focuses on early season NFL games when it is pennant race and wold series time in the MLB.
 
I hate to sound ignorant, but what is MLB? Sorry sports are really not my thing, my husband and I don’t ever watch sports.
 
I hate to sound ignorant, but what is MLB? Sorry sports are really not my thing, my husband and I don’t ever watch sports.
I am wondering the same thing. MLB, pennant races, wold series? It makes as much sense as that silly baseball stuff some call a sport.
 
Plus college football started!

My husband and I love watching baseball and football together, and we both love yelling at the tv, though at different times. I’m a Boston born Pats fan and card-carrying member of Red Sox nation, and he’s a Giants/Yankee fan from Jersey. :eek: Our living room can get quite lively during play-off season!
 
Lifelong Steelers fan, but as of this season, I’ve decided to be done with the NFL as a part of my life.

-The league sells itself through sex. How can I speak with any credibility to anyone about the importance of modesty while watching women dance around in what is essentially underwear “cheerleading” at an NFL game. The marketing of the game encourages lust and gluttony.
-The NFL draws people away from a proper respect for the Lord’s day. Yes, sports are allowed on Sunday, but ONLY if kept in the proper perspective. How many people can’t wait to get out of Mass to go watch the game? How many people skip mass all together, but find time for the NFL? Why can I vividly recall football plays from a decade or longer ago, but sometimes can think of what the sermon was about 20 minutes after Mass?

When I was honest with myself I clearly saw that when we have a horrible lack of passion for the Eucharist and Church in our society, and a very high amount of passion for the NFL there is something very wrong, and I was a part of the problem.

Pax.
 
I’m not interested in watching a bunch of overpaid meatheads run around a field. NFL is not the same as the Tom Landry Dallas Cowboys of my youth.
 
Lifelong Steelers fan, but as of this season, I’ve decided to be done with the NFL as a part of my life.

-The league sells itself through sex. How can I speak with any credibility to anyone about the importance of modesty while watching women dance around in what is essentially underwear “cheerleading” at an NFL game. The marketing of the game encourages lust and gluttony.
-The NFL draws people away from a proper respect for the Lord’s day. Yes, sports are allowed on Sunday, but ONLY if kept in the proper perspective. How many people can’t wait to get out of Mass to go watch the game? How many people skip mass all together, but find time for the NFL? Why can I vividly recall football plays from a decade or longer ago, but sometimes can think of what the sermon was about 20 minutes after Mass?

When I was honest with myself I clearly saw that when we have a horrible lack of passion for the Eucharist and Church in our society, and a very high amount of passion for the NFL there is something very wrong, and I was a part of the problem.

Pax.
Around here unless you go to the 5PM on SUnday you are certainly at home in plenty of time to watch the game and go to Mass.
 
In response to those who say we should be talking mlb…first and foremost we can walk and chew gum and the same time…im a big yankees fan…the problem though with the mlb is that with the wild card…particularly this year…the pennant races will be meaningless…if they add a second one with a one game playoff it will make it alot better or get rid of it entirely…and for the guy who isnt watching nfl bc it takes away from the Sabbath…i’m cool with that but obviously disagree…ive never seen a game played on sundau morning…unless you live on the west coast i guess…and with all cities there is always a Mass to go to so no excuses there…and real teams like my gmen dont have cheerleaders…i feel you can watch your teams/games and still have plenty of time for Mass/prayer/Scripture or any other form of relaxing…and if your really tempted by beer commercials we have a remote control for that…but again if you feel no football is better for you…than good for you…but the games bring many of my family/friends together…and about the ncaa…go state roll the tide
 
Go Seahawks!

Looks to be a rough year with two back up QBs, but we’ll see. Stranger things have happened. Man is it depressing to be a sports fan in Seattle.
 
I voted “Other”. Gotta pull for our “as close to a home team as a Mississippian can have” New Orleans Saints. However, I’m really just glad college football is back. I have to laugh when referring to the Super Bowl champs as the World Champions of football. I didn’t realize we played against other countries as well.😛
 
Kansas City Chiefs!

Okay, since they probably aren’t going to stay in the running most of the season.

Chicago Bears! and the Seahawks!

I think I am more excited for football season this year than my husband is! Hmmm, now that I think about it I should probably make sure he doesn’t have a fever or something. 😛
 
Lifelong Steelers fan, but as of this season, I’ve decided to be done with the NFL as a part of my life.

-The league sells itself through sex. How can I speak with any credibility to anyone about the importance of modesty while watching women dance around in what is essentially underwear “cheerleading” at an NFL game. The marketing of the game encourages lust and gluttony.
-The NFL draws people away from a proper respect for the Lord’s day. Yes, sports are allowed on Sunday, but ONLY if kept in the proper perspective. How many people can’t wait to get out of Mass to go watch the game? How many people skip mass all together, but find time for the NFL? Why can I vividly recall football plays from a decade or longer ago, but sometimes can think of what the sermon was about 20 minutes after Mass?

When I was honest with myself I clearly saw that when we have a horrible lack of passion for the Eucharist and Church in our society, and a very high amount of passion for the NFL there is something very wrong, and I was a part of the problem.

Pax.
You make some good points but c’mon this was suppose to be a lighthearted thread.

Besides in my male dominated family when the cheerleaders came on the room cleared. That was the time to go get food, use the bathroom, or go outside and toss around the football until the second half started.

There are a lot of good things about football too. It can bring families together when they would otherwise all be doing “their own thing.” It can even bring neighbors and friends together. It is an opportunity to teach kids about competition, sportsmanship, and empathy. Plus in my family you learned how to debate when two of you disagreed about what the ref should’ve called…🙂
 
You make some good points but c’mon this was suppose to be a lighthearted thread.

Besides in my male dominated family when the cheerleaders came on the room cleared. That was the time to go get food, use the bathroom, or go outside and toss around the football until the second half started.

There are a lot of good things about football too. It can bring families together when they would otherwise all be doing “their own thing.” It can even bring neighbors and friends together. It is an opportunity to teach kids about competition, sportsmanship, and empathy. Plus in my family you learned how to debate when two of you disagreed about what the ref should’ve called…🙂
If you’re trying to convince me that watching football is fun, you don’t need to. As I said, I’ve been rooting for the Steelers my whole life. I haven’t decided to be done with the NFL because it isn’t fun. It is fun. I just don’t think it’s right.

Even if you or I don’t watch the Cheerleaders, although you are bound to see them at least somewhat, we are PAYING for them to be doing what they’re doing by supporting the league either by buying tickets or watching on TV. Immodesty is a huge problem across our culture. It’s not limited to the NFL, but the NFL is a part of it.

Competition, sportsmanship, empathy are all GREAT things to teach kids. Can you pick that up to some degree by watching an NFL game? Well you can FEEL competitive. However, to truly LEARN about those things, I think actually PLAYING sports yourself is far better.

Pax
 
GO Chiefs!!!

And we live in Seahawk country. My husband especially is NOT a fair weather fan and our whole family will root for the Chiefs or anyone playing against the Raiders!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top